Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:00 AM

405 posts, read 394,088 times

Advertisements

Only NH has higher property taxes out of that group with the majority being considerably lower. What is TX doing different policy wise that is causing property taxes to be so heavy compared to places like WA, TN and FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Texas has many, many dinky counties (smaller population than a small town) = LOTS of duplicate infrastructure and costs.
ISD (Independent School Districts) are even more plentiful than counties = LOTS of duplicate infrastructure and costs.

Schools take the lion's share of Texas property taxes (Easy pick'ins)

The property taxes on my WA property (income tax free state) is 5x my Texas property taxes. (Angry WA assessor due to me contesting valuations every yr). Started out at $800 / yr, now $14,400 / yr. Same home, no improvements, only more worn out.

I have been successful contesting my Texas property valuations.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:56 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
I wish we could find a way to lower property taxes and instead use state income taxes to fund schools. Property taxes are the worst and most immoral taxes out there. It is also part of the reason that Tejanos lost so much land in the early days of Texas, which liberals always complain about. You would think they would support lower property taxes...

Old 09-29-2020, 10:12 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I wish we could find a way to lower property taxes and instead use state income taxes to fund schools. Property taxes are the worst and most immoral taxes out there. It is also part of the reason that Tejanos lost so much land in the early days of Texas, which liberals always complain about. You would think they would support lower property taxes...
An income tax would be in addition to property tax. I know there's hope it would be used to lower property tax - it wouldn't. You'll have the same property tax, and a shiny new income tax. Look at Connecticut.

If you want lower taxes, you need government to lower spending. There is no other way.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:17 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
If a fiscal conservative wrote the bill they could easily figure out how to work it out.

Lowering spending is fine too. That has nothing to do with the discussion though.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Only NH has higher property taxes out of that group with the majority being considerably lower. What is TX doing different policy wise that is causing property taxes to be so heavy compared to places like WA, TN and FL?
well i think the reason why Nevada has a lower property tax and no state income tax is because they have all that gambling and hospitality money.Also, Florida may be able to get lower prop taxes because of tourism and TN i think has high sales taxes.Personally, I would prefer Texas to focus more on sales taxes than property taxes.I dont like property taxes because its like you never really own your property....its like renting it from the gov.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:23 PM

738 posts, read 764,262 times
Rural counties have high tax rates because the ag exemption basically makes ag land pay nearly nothing. Then the ones with minerals make a killing. We also don't have sales disclosures so values tend to not be accurate. As a result rapidly appreciating areas get a discount. Then there are all manner of freezes, caps, and exemptions. For example my multimillionaire dad had a 65 freeze on his taxes with a value that was already 20% below market. When he died my 54 year old stepmother inherited the freeze. His freeze in value was equal in value to a dozen median home price freezes.

System needs major reform and equity adjustments.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:11 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
3 words = high school stadiums

Old 09-30-2020, 12:06 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
3 words = high school stadiums
very good point.I forgot about that one.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I agree 100% with everything you just said.

At least with income tax they tax you one time...property Taxes hit you year after year just for owning property. No one should be taxed on things they already own...

How stupid would it sound if they Taxed me on my Macbook every single year? I paid my taxes when I bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas