Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 10:35 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times

Advertisements

I'm was in the DFW area last week. I was impressed with the Tex Rail and the DART. THe train stations were also nice. The bus system was also pretty good.

Will texas become the hub for the southwest? Any news on connecting all Texas with highspeed rail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 12:14 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
You would surprised if you knew how many people are against this

Old 10-05-2020, 12:17 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Things are very slow to change in some states. Lots of people have set minds and not open to "novelties"...
Instead to focus on the good, they will just look for (often imaginary) obstacles and find reasons why not to go with the progress.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:04 PM

I think texas should accelerate its rail system plans. Makes it a lot easier to travel than driving 5 hours everywhere.

At minimum all major texas cities should be connected.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 18,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm was in the DFW area last week. I was impressed with the Tex Rail and the DART. THe train stations were also nice. The bus system was also pretty good.

Will texas become the hub for the southwest? Any news on connecting all Texas with highspeed rail?
Isn't it great! Very clean and cuts down the traffic to the airport .

Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 18,357 times
No one should be against this. In fact, they should add metro buses. All in Tarrant county. Up and down Denton highway, Rufe Snow, and Davis. Totally no reason not to.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:23 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You would surprised if you knew how many people are against this
I'm very much so for it.

I would absolutely kill for a HSR between Austin and DFW. I wouldn't think twice if the god of railroads were to suddenly emerge and tell me I would never have to use I-35 again in my life.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:41 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
“Removing Union Pacific thru freight” is a HUGE thing. That’s a major freight rail line since Houston is a port city. You can’t just say “no more freight trains from Dallas to Houston” and still be able to move goods to DFW in a timely manner.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
“Removing Union Pacific thru freight” is a HUGE thing. That’s a major freight rail line since Houston is a port city. You can’t just say “no more freight trains from Dallas to Houston” and still be able to move goods to DFW in a timely manner.
Actually the phrase "remove UP through freight" was related to the Austin-SA link; but your point is still extremely valid, as enormous amounts of freight pass through San Antonio coming from the port of Corpus Christi and the border entry at Laredo.

Basically if it comes from northeastern Mexico to the central US, it comes through SA; if it comes from Europe or Asia to the central US it comes through Houston. You HAVE TO maintain freight rail lines in those areas.

Passenger lines could share right of way with freight in most areas outside cities, I think.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Actually the phrase "remove UP through freight" was related to the Austin-SA link; but your point is still extremely valid, as enormous amounts of freight pass through San Antonio coming from the port of Corpus Christi and the border entry at Laredo.

Basically if it comes from northeastern Mexico to the central US, it comes through SA; if it comes from Europe or Asia to the central US it comes through Houston. You HAVE TO maintain freight rail lines in those areas.

Passenger lines could share right of way with freight in most areas outside cities, I think.

Can't they build new lines? THere seems to be plenty of space in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas