Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 10:55 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times

Advertisements

Someone asks, what is fake news? lol IDK, just a term applied to our prestigious news sources I suppose. Some people live and die by the 'news'. So, okay. I saw straight through their nonsense many years ago, long before the term fake arrived on the scene.

Take this two little tidbits of headlines now re-surfacing right before the election. Black man led by mounted police while bound with a rope sues Texas city for $1 million and White officers in Texas who led black man on rope avoid criminal charges. OK, so tell me, why is he suing now - one year later. Can't smell a rat here? I'm sure the ACLU was on this immediately like stink on sh*t. Reckon some higher powers that be came in and paid off the family to hold off on this little lawsuit until a more "appropriate" time? Naw?! Shucks! Stuff like this doesn't happen . . .! (Or does it?)

As to these headlines, am I the only person in America who knows the definition of leading? Well, obviously so. I would try and explain but oh well, you know it's pointless, lol you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Polls and surveys?! Oh just wow! People still believe this nonsense. Well, okey, dokey. Now if I wanted to produce a poll and have it favorable to what I want it to be, why how can I do that? Hahahahaa Let's count the ways!

Voting problems arising from mail fraud and mail mismanagement? Well, gee IDK. Let's see, there has been confirmed cases of voter mail fraud. Widespread? Nope. Could it be (widespread)? Who knows? Anything is possible and in this day and age I think we're all beginning to see that. So to reiterate, yes, it has occurred, no it's not been widespread, and to the possibility of could it be widespread in this election, you tell me - the possibility of yea or nay are both there because as we have all seen, anything is possible in these crazy times and even if I were a diehard gambler and this was the only bet on the table, I'd pass.

As to mail mismanagement, well what is there left to say? Anyone use the P.O. anymore? I avoid it lke the plague but there are times it is just not an option. I just recently took two calves to the sale barn which is a little over 50 miles from my house. I have the option to sit through the entire sale to then get my check, leave and later on that afternoon drive back (it's an hour drive both ways) or let them mail me a check. I always opt for the mailing of the check. OK, I've never had a problem, usually always get the check in 4 days (there is a Sunday involved). This time (and this just happened) I waited for ELEVEN days to receive my check. I called at one point checking because this had never happened. The lady said they had had a lot of people calling because it was taking over a week to get their checks. When I asked her what the problem was, she said they had been having a problem with their post office. I asked, what kind of problem? Just slow with the mail, she said. Actually I would have thought the problem would have been on my end with the post office. Everyone in town complains about the sorry service and God knows I've had my share of it with them.

But enough of all of this. I wholeheartedly concur with Little Toe's last paragraph. "Whether they win or lose, both the Democrats and the Republicans will win as, with winks, smiles and their thumbs up, they will get together to rub elbows praising themselves over steak, fine wine, and sweet cheesecake. Figure unless a meteor hits Washington D.C. obliterating the whole absurd system, the people will always be the big losers regardless of their political persuasion".

We are the pawns, the losers in this game. I would just blow the entire thing off, but sadly this so-called game affects our daily lives. I know from my own experience when the Dems are in, my taxes go up. I'm not saying this to try and influence anyone. It is an actual fact (at least for me in my circumstances - I'm a middle class taxpayer). I'm against higher taxes so some politicians can use that money and distribute it in ways that brings them more votes at election times so they either get in or stay in office and keep padding their own pockets. I'm sure there will be plenty of yea and nay comments about this, but bottom line, why not look back over the years and remember how it affected you personally in your pocketbook when you recall who was the controlling political party at the time? The Dems always like to claim they will not raise taxes on you if you make under a certain amount. Oh yeah, tell me another joke, will you? Oh no, they are just going for the fat cats (which is what all of them are but they have managed to fix it so it doesn't affect them, but boy, does it ever sound good to average old Joe out there - yeah, gonna stick it to the fat cats!) lol. Then the Dems turn right around and act mortified when the fat cat Reps take the same advantage of the tax breaks they created and take advantage of themselves. Oh my!

What a game! What a life!

Sorry this is so long. I just felt the need to get it off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 01:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,073 times
This decision was successfully appealed by Abbott. So as of now, Harris County goes back to 1 drop-off box. Well, at least there's 3 more weeks for people to get their ballots in.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:43 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
This decision was successfully appealed by Abbott. So as of now, Harris County goes back to 1 drop-off box. Well, at least there's 3 more weeks for people to get their ballots in.
I think he got a stay, with a decision to be made by Tuesday as to whether the single-box decree stands or not. Or that was the last I saw, maybe the judge made an actual ruling late today? Not sure.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:39 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think he got a stay, with a decision to be made by Tuesday as to whether the single-box decree stands or not. Or that was the last I saw, maybe the judge made an actual ruling late today? Not sure.
Just a preliminary stay.

Regardless, I will vote in person this year, as I've done every year.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:56 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,834 times
'The ruling issued by a federal appeals court said that because Abbott's proclamations in whole have expanded voting options in the state, those who are suing to invalidate the proclamation cannot claim they've had their right to vote restricted. The grant of a stay pending appeal – meaning a lower-court order that invalidated the governor's one drop box per county rule will not be enforced as litigation continues – signals the appeals court is likely to side with Abbott on the merits of the case as well.

"The Federal Court of Appeals upholds my proclamation about mail-in ballots saying that it actually expanded access to voting by allowing drop-offs before election day," Abbott said in a tweet early Tuesday reacting to the ruling. "Critics were clearly clueless about the legality of my action & simply voiced prejudicial political opinions."'

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ail-in-ballots

Look at that. When you look at what Governor Abbott actually did, rather than listen to political hacks who only tell you part of the story to make the governor look bad, the story is completely different. It seems before Governor Abbott's order, there were no drop boxes permitted *at all*. His order was to have one drop box per county so people could drop off their ballots early if they wanted to.

Kind of puts this whole story in a very different light, doesn't it?

Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,206 times
Appeals court reinstates Texas governor's limit on ballot dropboxes
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...s-limit-429138

- Start article Excerpts (bolding mine):

A federal appeals court has reinstated Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s order limiting the use of absentee ballot drop boxes to one location per county, regardless of population.

The court found that Abbott's intention was to make it easier for Texans to vote.

Just before midnight Monday Texas time, a unanimous three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals lifted a district judge’s preliminary injunction against Abbott’s October 1 directive.

Civil rights groups and Democrats complained that the one-dropbox-location-per-county rule that Abbott abruptly imposed two weeks ago unfairly burdens large urban counties and has the potential to deter voters and create health hazards.

“One strains to see how it burdens voting at all,” wrote Duncan, joined by Judges Don Willett and James Ho. All three judges are appointees of President Donald Trump.

the “about-face” by Abbott from a July order threatened to disenfranchise disabled and elderly voters who would now have to travel longer distances to drop off their ballots. The judge also said postal service delays and changes created doubts about whether mailed ballots would arrive in time to be counted.

Civil rights groups and minority state legislators who pressed the federal suit against Abbott’s order could ask the full bench of the appeals court to take up the issue, but their appeal is unlikely to find traction with the conservative court.

The plaintiffs could also seek relief from the U.S. Supreme Court, but that court is shorthanded due to the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, meaning those opposed to Abbott’s order would likely need to win the votes of two conservative justices in addition to the court’s three remaining liberals.

-end article experts

Another black eye for democracy and our sacred voting tradition- which should be made more accessible, not less / more hoops

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-13-2020 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-13-2020, 09:35 AM

Here is a map of the locations before Abbott’s consolidation and after
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...drop-off-sites

Compared to Rhode Island and before Abbott’s consolidation, anyone see a difference?

How can anyone in their right mind claim that consolidating down to one drop box location expands voting opportunities for voters, especially in large counties and among elderly, disabled and poor (who may not own vehicles)?

Old 10-13-2020, 09:48 AM

See post # 26 in the linked thread (another CD thread in the San Antonio section) to see some of the other ways some Conservatives are doing everything they legally can to influence the Presidential election vote. A vote in which the President is significantly trailing when all polls are taken collectively.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ression-3.html

In addition to post #26 (linked above)

All three judges who re-instated Abbott's drop box consolidation order are conservative and were appointed by President Trump.

The President has repeatedly made the claim that this election will have massive voter fraud compared to every other election before this one despite the fact that multiple studies done over the years show voter fraud being a fraction of 1%.

Mail in / drop box voting has been done since the civil war.

The President made this claim last election until he won, then he dropped the claim and the results were legit to him.

The President will not answer when asked if he will challenge an unfavorable election result.

An challenged unfavorable election result may go to an already Conservatively biased Supreme court.

This issue of the 3 conservative judges who were appointed by Trump and who re-instated Governor Abbott's (a Conservative's) 1 drop box location per county regardless of the county size and county population may also get raised to the Conservatively biased Supreme court.

The new consolidation by Abbott, made after voters have made their selections to do drop off voting will have some voters drive over 40 miles one way.

The President has asked his supporters to be poll watchers and watch people. This will be intimidating to some who choose to drop off ballots and who vote at a poll.

The Supreme court which already has a Conservative majority will be even more conservatively biased with the rush job the President and the Republican's in the legislative branch are doing to rush in the Justice 3 weeks before the November election.

This rush job has put other important situations on hold that millions of American's need addressing immediately, such as the stimulus because of millions of American's still struggling.
The Conservatives priorities in government are clear – perform a power grab over helping American's.

This already Conservative majority Supreme Court (which will be more so in the future) may have to rule on this case of 1 drop box per county that affects all of Texas (a republican led state).

This already Conservative majority Supreme Court (which will be more so in the future) may have to rule on a contested election result by the President

This list and the list in post #26 were created by me as I observed this stuff happen but can no one else see the power plays and what is going on here?

A bunch of black eyes on Texas and ultimately American Democracy.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-13-2020 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
I'm proud to be a Texan in many ways, but I'm so glad I don't have to deal with its banana republic government anymore. Paper ballots are so much harder to fraud and ridiculously easy to audit compared to Texas' janky electronic ballots that have no paper trail.

I get an email telling me when to expect the ballot to arrive. I can study the language and do research as I go along instead of having to commit a gamut of down-ballot names and propositions to memory. I bubble it in properly, which is the one practical thing standardized testing taught me. I put it in the signed and sealed envelope with a barcode matched specifically to my voter ID. I drop it off at the neighborhood ballot drop off box, which is placed by the rec center in a popular park along my jog route. I get an email saying when the ballot has been processed.

Anything less than that is incompetence and/or voter suppression.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:40 PM

57 posts, read 38,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Perhaps a history lesson will help...

In the last thirty years, Texas has voted for the winning presidential candidate three time, and the losing candidate five times.

And voter fraud is so miniscule as to be statistically non-existent. Both in Texas and across the country.

Any other "facts" you care to share with us?
The Soviet news always claimed to be legit as well. Watch Yuri Bezmenov on YouTube. He was a Soviet agent working for the Soviet media. A Eastern European neighbor lives down the street from me.

How can voter fraud be said to be so miniscule when fake news is the one claiming that it is statistically non-existent? Who today doesn't think that network news, pro wrestling, and roller derby aren't fake? It is so obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas