U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans!

Got a question for y'all. Backtracking just a bit, usually the threads I start are more "cultural" in theme, but this one has to do with the physical aspects of Texas.

That is, what are some "natural" freshwater springs y'all know of in the state? I have always been facinated by them and am curious about where some of them are located.

One I can think of, and do not know the name of (so maybe some of you west Texans can help me out) is located just off Hwy 82 right outside of...Dickens...?...as one goes from Wichita Falls to Lubbock. It is in the caprock and there is a pipe jutting out from a brick wall from which the spring flows.

Is anyone familiar with that one?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM

251 posts, read 653,594 times
You mean springs like the San Pedro and San Antonio springs/blue hole?

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Status: "Time for TEXIT. Say 'No' to Communism." (set 6 hours ago)

50,315 posts, read 40,378,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings fellow Texans!

Got a question for y'all. Backtracking just a bit, usually the threads I start are more "cultural" in theme, but this one has to do with the physical aspects of Texas.

That is, what are some "natural" freshwater springs y'all know of in the state? I have always been facinated by them and am curious about where some of them are located.

One I can think of, and do not know the name of (so maybe some of you west Texans can help me out) is located just off Hwy 82 right outside of...Dickens...?...as one goes from Wichita Falls to Lubbock. It is in the caprock and there is a pipe jutting out from a brick wall from which the spring flows.

Is anyone familiar with that one?

Yes, as a matter of fact, TR, I certainly am. It's at a rest stop just east of Dickens. As for the name, I don't remember. Quite a sight, too.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact, TR, I certainly am. It's at a rest stop just east of Dickens. As for the name, I don't remember. Quite a sight, too.
THANKS CASE! I was beginning to think I was crazier than usual when I have mentioned this to folks who gave me a blank stare! LOL

Anyway, you refreshed my memory quite a bit! A little "rest stop" which is sorta formed and "nestled" between two impressive caprock type "hills". And right off the road is the iron pipe from which the spring flows.

My grandparents lived in Lubbock and as a kid, we made that trek often, and that would be a place we would stop for picnics and just the west Texas scenery! I once asked my grandfather about it, and he said that back in his day, the spring just flowed down from the hill...that the "pipe" was added later. Beyond that, he really didn't know...

Old 05-03-2008, 11:55 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,373,037 times
there is one near Moody or Crawford that my coworkers have showed me pics of..very very nice, with big swimming hole, crystal clear.......looks like a big jacuzzi. i will have to find out where it is so i can check it out this summer

Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM

By all means, keep the "maps" coming!

As an aside here, I just got to thinkin'....I bet most of us over the age of 40 might remember the old "Pearl" beer commercials...of which a little "ditty" went" something like "From the country...of 1100 (eleven hundred) springs..."

Damn..I am getting old...BUT, the above gives me an idea for yet ANOTHER thread! LOL (but meanwhile, keep the natural springs comin' on strong)

Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,212,268 times
Barton Springs in Austin is quite nice.

Barton Springs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a google search on "natural springs Texas" and you'll find many.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:01 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,696,441 times
There's a large aquifer under a pretty good chunk of the state. You do enough exploring and you can find small springs here and there.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 7,401,044 times
There's the beautiful Sandia springs near Balmorhea in West Texas. I think the spring fed pool in Balmorhea is the largest in the country. The water is spectacularly clear.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 PM

384 posts, read 1,463,185 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the huge, popular springs and spring-fed waterways in San Marcos-New Braunfels, as these are among Texas' largest and best-known, and accessible to the public (glass-bottom boat tours on the Texas State University campus in San Marcos, and Landa Park and Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas