Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 10:00 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,805,823 times

Advertisements

I am a third gen Texan and proud of it. I did undergrad in Los Angeles in the early '70s and am grateful for the time I spent there as there were a lot of experiences I could not have gotten in TX. However , I moved back because of job opportunities and family. I have family and friends in CA but when we go out there to visit, I am always glad to come back. Traffic, congestion, high taxes , high regulations, corrupt politicians, overvalued property are reasons why I am glad I didn't stay out there. Granted , you can't beat the weather and scenery but they can keep it all as far as I am concerned.

As far as Oklahoma, I agree with the posters that it seems more of a UT vs. OU football rivalry than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 10:42 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,220,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I just think me and you are in completely different circles. I also rarely heard any Texans outside of annoying older White Texans brag about how "beautiful" the state is.
Same early 30 something who told me I was a Yankee was the last person to tell me that a couple weeks back.

I've had Hispanic and Asian people tell me the same thing. I don't think it's a race thing.

Quote:
Texas, like America just has good marketing when it comes to pushing that narrative to their citizens. Texans culturally just knew how to incorporate the state in everything culturally.
Americans are pretty widely considered annoying if you travel outside the US. I lived in Italy, spent time in France, have visited Canada and Mexico multiple times.

Quote:
The foundation of Texas state pride really stems from the fact it was a republic for as long as it was. Yeah there's been other sovereign states of America but the Republic of Texas definitely was the longest and most significant republic from a historic stand point. And even after Texas annexation into America, that attitude stayed. That type of attitude or propaganda has been passed down from generation to generation.
It really is a silly source of Pride. Texas was technically its own country, but barely sovereign in any real way...

Texas's independence was really just a buffering period while the US did two things: 1) sorted out the slave to free state balance of power 2) Armed up for war with Mexico.

Everyone knew they would eventually be annexed...(well everyone who wasn't bat crazy Lamar who claimed Texas Stretch to California and who set a bunch of foot solders to invade Santa Fe who were all captured in the West Texas Desert because he didn't know the topography of the land he claimed.)

Texas was an unofficial US Territory. The US had encouraged people to illegally immigrate there and rebel. When Texas won "independence" there was so much celebration in DC that a Mexican Diplomat complained that government officials were out of line for openly celebrating a defeat of their Allies (Mexico).

It is an interesting historical oddity that Texas was left in limbo for 10 years as an "independent country." So I can get some pride in that...it is neat, but lets call a spade a spade, it was basically an illegal American Colony for that period of time that was lucky enough that Mexican Politics were too much of a mess for them to be reconquered.

Also they are lucky enough that they were a low priority for Mexico to take back.

After the US provoked the Mexican War and annexing the South Western states and California, Texas dropped off in importance until Oil was discovered. Texas's main value to the US was as a border state with Mexico...it stayed pretty backwater until oil. California was clearly the real prize of the Mexican American War.

Quote:
That state pride has more to do with that than "a lack of experience outside of Texas". Texans can be in Alaska and will loudly and proudly still rep Texas. Similar to American tourist in Europe. Texans generally love Texas. And the more people hate it the more Texans generally love it. It is what it is.
American Tourists in Europe are super annoying and very embarrassing.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:59 AM

92 posts, read 43,304 times
European tourists in america have no room to talk...theyre certainly no less annoying.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:23 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,328,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire1 View Post
European tourists in america have no room to talk...theyre certainly no less annoying.
I dont know about that. I find Americans in Europe to be far more annoying than Europeans that come here. I say that as an American myself. Americans for example will go places just to do drug (Amsterdam) or get hammered (Ireland) and just all out party. While European tourists do some of that in Vegas and Miami, they are more likely to travel for culture based reasons I find.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM

9,743 posts, read 6,377,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont know about that. I find Americans in Europe to be far more annoying than Europeans that come here. I say that as an American myself. Americans for example will go places just to do drug (Amsterdam) or get hammered (Ireland) and just all out party. While European tourists do some of that in Vegas and Miami, they are more likely to travel for culture based reasons I find.
I’ve had extensive experience with both ands I disagree. Ofcourse both are annoying in their own way. But my experience from Europeans in USA is taking every chance they can get to bash USA.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:30 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Same early 30 something who told me I was a Yankee was the last person to tell me that a couple weeks back.

I've had Hispanic and Asian people tell me the same thing. I don't think it's a race thing.

Americans are pretty widely considered annoying if you travel outside the US. I lived in Italy, spent time in France, have visited Canada and Mexico multiple times.

It really is a silly source of Pride. Texas was technically its own country, but barely sovereign in any real way...

Texas's independence was really just a buffering period while the US did two things: 1) sorted out the slave to free state balance of power 2) Armed up for war with Mexico.

Everyone knew they would eventually be annexed...(well everyone who wasn't bat crazy Lamar who claimed Texas Stretch to California and who set a bunch of foot solders to invade Santa Fe who were all captured in the West Texas Desert because he didn't know the topography of the land he claimed.)

Texas was an unofficial US Territory. The US had encouraged people to illegally immigrate there and rebel. When Texas won "independence" there was so much celebration in DC that a Mexican Diplomat complained that government officials were out of line for openly celebrating a defeat of their Allies (Mexico).

It is an interesting historical oddity that Texas was left in limbo for 10 years as an "independent country." So I can get some pride in that...it is neat, but lets call a spade a spade, it was basically an illegal American Colony for that period of time that was lucky enough that Mexican Politics were too much of a mess for them to be reconquered.

Also they are lucky enough that they were a low priority for Mexico to take back.

After the US provoked the Mexican War and annexing the South Western states and California, Texas dropped off in importance until Oil was discovered. Texas's main value to the US was as a border state with Mexico...it stayed pretty backwater until oil. California was clearly the real prize of the Mexican American War.

American Tourists in Europe are super annoying and very embarrassing.
Which is basically why I called Texas a mini version of America. Americans are proud to be American a county founded on chattel slavery and the genocide of Indigenous Nations. Everything you stated about Texas can be applied to the United States.

Trust me, me bringing up those things was not boasting about Texas. Just telling you the source. Has nothing to do with your anecdotal evidence that Texans don't travel much. I'm born and raised in Texas but I'm not proud to be a Texan nor an American. I'm just a natural born citizen of this country and the state. That's it. Truthfully the only regional pride if any I have is tied to African American culture and that's it. But that's another topic for another day.

And yes Americans are super annoying tourist.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:48 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,848,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Northwestern Europeans, especially Brits, are often considered annoying as tourists within the European continent. Just ask natives of Barcelona, Tallinn, Prague, Dubrovnik, Amsterdam etc. Even though there's a large tourism industry in those places dependent upon their visitation.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ve had extensive experience with both ands I disagree. Ofcourse both are annoying in their own way. But my experience from Europeans in USA is taking every chance they can get to bash USA.
I totally disagree with you. Most Europeans are respectful tourists. Most (but not all) Americans fall into one of two categorizes of Tourists:

1) Drunk/ High Students. They suck for obvious reasons. Every city is a party city when you are 19 and encountering legal booze for the 1st time. I remember being 21 in Italy and 19 year old American Exchange Students were totally insufferable and very embarrassing. I mean damn, I'm also here to have a good time, but don't act like a clown.

2) Boomers in Fanny Packs. They don't suck because they are loud and drunk (though sometimes they are). They mostly suck because they stick out like sore thumbs and seem annoyed that things are different from in America. Examples: Paying for water with dinner, Menus not being in English, people not speaking English in general (though lots do). They also love to make smug comments on how things are different. "Wow, I would have assumed Water was FREE, but I guess not every country is AMERICA" ok Karen.

There is a subset of boomers who are still embarrassing, but more enduring. I call them the "Rick Steve Boomers" You can spot them by their terrible Italian Pronunciations, Guide Books, and over all just trying too hard. They can often be sported on overpriced tours.

Both are entitled in their own way and act like they own the place instead of behaving like guests.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Northwestern Europeans, especially Brits, are often considered annoying as tourists within the European continent. Just ask natives of Barcelona, Tallinn, Prague, Dubrovnik, Amsterdam etc. Even though there's a large tourism industry in those places dependent upon their visitation.
They are, but Americans ask the brits to hold their beer as they top them off.

Australians are also notoriously trashy on the continent because so many of them are right out of HS on a gap year.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Which is basically why I called Texas a mini version of America. Americans are proud to be American a county founded on chattel slavery and the genocide of Indigenous Nations. Everything you stated about Texas can be applied to the United States.
To be fair, not many countries are founded on anything better. Doesn't take away from how horrible it is, and most people should tone the pride down, but people in general are terrible...America didn't invent genocide or slavery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas