Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM

419 posts, read 903,238 times

Advertisements

Understanding that everywhere in Texas is hot in the summer and not too bad in the winter, ...

where would you locate in Texas for the best overall climate? ...if that was all that mattered to you? Econony, jobs, etc are not relevant in my case.

Any details about the preferred city is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,901,678 times
Lubbock, El Paso, and the Davis Mountains area (Alpine, Marfa, Ft. Davis) are considered to be the best. I'm partial to Lubbock for a number of reasons. All three areas have low humidity/dew points.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times
Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis has the best climate in TX, IMO.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:03 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,915,741 times
Lubbock, as well as the Trans-Pecos region - including the Davis Mtns - are relatively good in terms of having more minimal summer heat than most other areas of the state, as well as quite low humidity and lovely cool early mornings even in mid-summer. However, Lubbock has colder winters and more snow than places like Austin and other Central Texas locations. Which do you dislike more: summer heat and humidity or winter cold? Of course, Lubbock isn't Amarillo -- 100 miles north-south makes a difference. Lubbock does get dust storms, and even though these may not be as bad as they once were, they are still unpleasant. I'd probably either choose a Central TX location if I wanted to minimize winter, or a Davis Mtn location (Alpine would be the most substantial town in terms of necessities and amenities) if I wanted to minimize summer heat. For a smaller Central TX city, Kerrville could be a good choice.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,252,414 times
El Paso has the best climate in the state. Although it is quite hot in the summer, the air is BONE dry. Also not a lot of rain either. Im guessing more sunny days than most other TX cities. Winters are cool, but rarely get cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Understanding that everywhere in Texas is hot in the summer and not too bad in the winter, ...

where would you locate in Texas for the best overall climate? ...if that was all that mattered to you? Econony, jobs, etc are not relevant in my case.

Any details about the preferred city is appreciated.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,897,822 times
Here's another vote for the Davis Mountains region.

An aside: Many people don't realize that El Paso is 4,000 ft above sea level. But that doesn't keep it from getting hot in the summer, usually the hottest in June when there is normally about 7-10 days straight of 100+ temps. Humidity increases and temps moderate somewhat in July/Aug when the monsoon season kicks in.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,711,518 times
It's hard not to let my knowledge of all the areas cloud this, but I think I'd have to go with the Davis Mountains as well. If I was picking a city that had the weather I wanted (or as close as I could get) as well as the other things I would require it would be Midland. Relatively dry, but with occasional thunderstorms that I love, winters not too bad, cool evenings, beautiful clear skies and the most amazing sunsets!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,781,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
It's hard not to let my knowledge of all the areas cloud this, but I think I'd have to go with the Davis Mountains as well. If I was picking a city that had the weather I wanted (or as close as I could get) as well as the other things I would require it would be Midland. Relatively dry, but with occasional thunderstorms that I love, winters not too bad, cool evenings, beautiful clear skies and the most amazing sunsets!
I'd agree with the Davis Mts part--and as good a quality of life that there is in Midland, and great weather most of the year, the summers are just a real b****!

Midland summer evenings and nights USED to cool off, but in recent years, the nights have been a lot warmer than is comfortable, like around 80, and sometimes as high as 85. That's hard to take after daytime temps of over 100.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:45 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,711,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I'd agree with the Davis Mts part--and as good a quality of life that there is in Midland, and great weather most of the year, the summers are just a real b****!

aMidland summer evenings and nights USED to cool off, but in recent years, the nights have been a lot warmer than is comfortable, like around 80, and sometimes as high as 85. That's hard to tke after daytime temps of over 100.
True, but they are still much better than the nights in Houston.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times
Unhappy If it's not the heat, it's the stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
True, but they are still much better than the nights in Houston.
I agree, but the OP is looking for the BEST climate in Texas, not the worst!

I can take hot days, but I hate hot nights. That being the case, lower humidity, which corresponds to a greater diurnal range, is best for me! Fort Worth is much better than Houston in that respect, but not nearly as good as Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas