U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2020, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,500,469 times
Reputation: 4961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Youre surprisingly passionate about something that can be statistically shown. Almost like you opened this thread to highlight differences instead of looking at the details.
I’m shocked. That’s all. I expected Fort Worth to shift this time around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2020, 04:45 PM
 
3,501 posts, read 2,196,829 times
Reputation: 3354
If you look at the number of people that voted in 2016 in s. Texas it is constant with 2020. Seems there are a lot of hispanics that voted for Trump that previously voted for Democrats. There are like 5 counties that always go blue that went red. Jim Wells has only gone red twice before this. Ever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,500,469 times
Reputation: 4961
The fact Georgia and NC are coming down to the wire. And while Texas closed the gap, it wasn’t anything crazh, that’s where it gets odd to me. Had other traditional Republican states went the same way, it would seem more reasonable. Had Georgia not made their shift, it wouldn’t be as odd to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
7,364 posts, read 4,034,038 times
Reputation: 10531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m shocked. That’s all. I expected Fort Worth to shift this time around.
Yet, relative to where they were in 2016, DFW moved further left than greater Houston.


When vote tallies are final, I’ll run the numbers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
7,364 posts, read 4,034,038 times
Reputation: 10531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The fact Georgia and NC are coming down to the wire. And while Texas closed the gap, it wasn’t anything crazh, that’s where it gets odd to me. Had other traditional Republican states went the same way, it would seem more reasonable. Had Georgia not made their shift, it wouldn’t be as odd to me.
The answer to that is easy: Hispanics. That’s why Florida over preformed for Trump. NC and GA are not Hispanic heavy states.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 05:28 PM
 
Location: OC
11,079 posts, read 7,396,475 times
Reputation: 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The fact Georgia and NC are coming down to the wire. And while Texas closed the gap, it wasn’t anything crazh, that’s where it gets odd to me. Had other traditional Republican states went the same way, it would seem more reasonable. Had Georgia not made their shift, it wouldn’t be as odd to me.
Texas is a conservative state. It's just the way it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,500,469 times
Reputation: 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yet, relative to where they were in 2016, DFW moved further left than greater Houston.


When vote tallies are final, I’ll run the numbers.
First off, I said nothing about comparing the two. I said that Fort Worth remaining red won’t be aceptable if you expect to go blue. You can’t expect to go blue if all your urban counties don’t.

But since you brought up HOU vs DFW, the real time numbers are;

Houston - 53.5% democrat
DFW - 50.6% Democrat

I know you were going county by county, but this data is meaningless considering Harris County alone is nearing 5 million in population alone as a county. Meaning it covers a much larger ratera. Fort Bend county lead alone is outside of this area. Again, I never claimed anything but it’s pretty unfair going county by county given the size and population differences. As a whole, greater Houston Voted more Democrat then DFW. But that’s besides the point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
7,364 posts, read 4,034,038 times
Reputation: 10531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
First off, I said nothing about comparing the two. I said that Fort Worth remaining red won’t be aceptable if you expect to go blue. You can’t expect to go blue if all your urban counties don’t.

But since you brought up HOU vs DFW, the real time numbers are;

Houston - 53.5% democrat
DFW - 50.6% Democrat

I know you were going county by county, but this data is meaningless considering Harris County alone is nearing 5 million in population alone as a county. Meaning it covers a much larger ratera. Fort Bend county lead alone is outside of this area. Again, I never claimed anything but it’s pretty unfair going county by county given the size and population differences. As a whole, greater Houston Voted more Democrat then DFW. But that’s besides the point.
So your argument is that if Tarrant County had an additional 4,000 votes for Biden it would have made a difference?

I was talking about how they went from 2016 vs. 2020. DFW went shifted more left between those years. Houston is still more blue.

Youre laying this at the feet of DFW and its no more DFW's fault than Houston's. Even though DFW is slightly more red, its shifting faster to the left than Houston. However, its neither of their faults Texas is red. The most obvious culprit is the shift among Mexican voters in South Texas to Trump. Thats by far the biggest reason. The Houston, DFW, Austin, and San Antonio metro areas all shifted left so its not on them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Texas
316 posts, read 140,156 times
Reputation: 733
Why would anyone want Texas to go blue? Texas overall has terrible and extreme weather, not much natural beauty, and not much established history. It is a largely transplant state. Most came here because of business relocation or personal relocation due to the lower taxes and cost of living. Property taxes and cost of living are steadily increasing. Why on earth would anyone want to elect Democrats who would increase taxes more to pay for their social programs?

If Democrats take over this state, I might as well move back to Northern Virginia. Having liberal politicians and policies defeats the whole purpose for most people to live here. I would say the same for all the Californians moving here. California is a beautiful state with overall great weather. Why not move back there if the cost difference is not very great? You would be crazy to stay in a high tax, high cost of living Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,500,469 times
Reputation: 4961
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
So your argument is that if Tarrant County had an additional 4,000 votes for Biden it would have made a difference?

I was talking about how they went from 2016 vs. 2020. DFW went shifted more left between those years. Houston is still more blue.

Youre laying this at the feet of DFW and its no more DFW's fault than Houston's. Even though DFW is slightly more red, its shifting faster to the left than Houston. However, its neither of their faults Texas is red. The most obvious culprit is the shift among Mexican voters in South Texas to Trump. Thats by far the biggest reason. The Houston, DFW, Austin, and San Antonio metro areas all shifted left so its not on them.
Just reread my OP. I don't see any blame of anything. Simply stated that before Texas can go blue, all urban counties have to go blue including Tarrant County. No blaming done, just stating something that seems obvious. To me, I would think before Texas can go blue, all urban counties will have to go blue. And this year, Tarrant county was so close that next election will likely be the flip, meaning we are just like this election headed that way, but not as fast as I expected (or you I'm sure). Yes, the border counties turn out and hispanic trust in the Democratic Party are also a big reason. But to me, all urban counties will have to be blue on top of this. Haven't seen a state that has voted blue that has achieved this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top