Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 11:37 PM

6 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

Having spent my life right outside of Dallas (Highland Park), and most recently moved right outside of San Antonio (Terrell Hills), I have realized how big and varied Texas is. There are varied differences between the two I am learning.

How would you explain your experiences around Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 02:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Highland Park and Terrell Hills are pretty similar. Terrell Hills is just an inferior version of HP in pretty much every way.

I see Texas as a sort of mix of Northern Mexico, southern United States, and to a lesser extent the Midwest and even elements of California (or maybe it's just modern America in general). Regarding diversity, we have a big mix of whites, blacks, and mexicans/tejanos/few other hispanics. This makes us unique because the western states have either whites and indians or whites and hispanics and the south is mostly black and white. Oklahoma is sort of similar if you swap the hispanics for indians but it doesn't have as many of them or as many blacks as Texas does. We also have a very diverse population of white people, including lots of southerners which were Anglo, Germans, Spaniards, and to a lesser extent other Europeans as well.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:49 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
On a statistical level, Texas is home to the 5th most diverse (Houston), 8th most diverse (Dallas/Fort Worth), and 21st most diverse (Austin) metro areas in the US per capita on an ethnic level. Texas also has some racially diverse smaller cities like Killeen, Waco, Bryan, Tyler, and Beaumont but these cities are not ethnically diverse.

That said, the vast majority of the land area in Texas isnt diverse at all. Its either heavy white, Hispanic, or heavy white/black, or white/Hispanic depending on the city. When you get small pockets outside that (like the Asian and Somali refugees in Amarillo), they are few and far between.

The way I describe diversity in is that its localized. If youre in Houston or DFW, you have access to anything you need from a diversity perspective. With Austin youll be ok for the most part too. San Antonio is iffy.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:54 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
USAA, the Medical Center, the Airforce bases attract ethnic diversity to San Antonio...but San Antonio, Ft Worth and El Paso are definitely the least ethnically diverse of the big 6 Texas cities. San Antonio did however just get its first Jollibee restaurant, which I suppose means that the Filipino population in SA is growing.

Anything in the state South of San Antonio is overwhelmingly Hispanic and therefore not culturally diverse.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Highland Park and Terrell Hills are pretty similar. Terrell Hills is just an inferior version of HP in pretty much every way.

I see Texas as a sort of mix of Northern Mexico, southern United States, and to a lesser extent the Midwest and even elements of California (or maybe it's just modern America in general). Regarding diversity, we have a big mix of whites, blacks, and mexicans/tejanos/few other hispanics. This makes us unique because the western states have either whites and indians or whites and hispanics and the south is mostly black and white. Oklahoma is sort of similar if you swap the hispanics for indians but it doesn't have as many of them or as many blacks as Texas does. We also have a very diverse population of white people, including lots of southerners which were Anglo, Germans, Spaniards, and to a lesser extent other Europeans as well.
Oklahoma has almost as many Hispanics as Indians. And keep in mind a lot of those Indians are so mixed that they're visibly indistinguishanle from white people.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:38 PM

431 posts, read 257,417 times
With 30 million people and most of that population growth in the last 50 years, Texas is as diverse as any place. The metro areas will have the majority of that diversity and of coarse the rural areas will have a more common culture feel to it. Distinctly Texan, that culture will consist of whites, Hispanic and others that cherish that life style that keeps Texas uniquely Texas. Diversity will be found from the southern feel of East Texas, to western attitude of central and west Texas, and the heavily Mexican influenced area of the Rio Grand Valley. I’d say yep, we’re pretty diverse and yet uniquely Texan.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Texas is one of a small handful of "majority minority" states, meaning that while white non Hispanic folks are the largest group, they make up less than 50 percent of the overall population.

Whenever I go to other states, I always enjoy seeing the many shades of brown faces when I get back to Texas. I also agree that it's our unique mixture of Hispanic, AA, and white Non Hispanic folks that adds a piquant flavor to Texas in general.

My mom always used to say when they'd visit us in Tyler, TX "I missed all the shades of brown skin in Texas!" and I think she was definitely onto something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas