U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 7,108 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are considering a move. We are debating between Texas and Arizona. My husband has never been to Texas so we're taking a week trip down in January for him to get a taste (and for me to get a better feel, as I've only been to the Dallas area and San Antonio a couple of times).

I'm interested in the Hill Country area/San Antonio/Austin area, although I would consider Dallas as well. Love the thought of Houston and coastal cities, as I LOVE water (we're from Michigan), but I don't want to be on the coast because of Hurricanes.

We're flying into DFW (it was much cheaper than the other major airports). My thoughts were this for an itinerary:

21st (half day) - drive to San Antonio
22nd - San Antonio
23rd - Drive to San Marcos / Kyle
24th - Night out in Frederickson (Check out Marble Falls?)
25th - Drive Austin
26th - Austin
27th - Drive to Dallas
28th - Fly out

I know it's A LOT of travel each day. That's fine with us. I think of this as a little taste of a large area. Is there any place you think we should skip or spend more time in? Are there areas of Texas I should really consider? It looks like we would pretty much be seeing a narrow north/south portion of the state. Would it be worth diverging off the path with our quick trip?

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate constructive and helpful feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 10:08 PM

8,654 posts, read 17,301,448 times
You might want to skip something (Kyle and Marble falls maybe) and explore the area of Hill Country southwest of San Antonio, like Bandera, Utopia, or around here: https://www.visituvaldecounty.com/

Old 12-30-2020, 11:54 PM

22,337 posts, read 6,075,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aen935 View Post
Hi! My family and I are considering a move. We are debating between Texas and Arizona. My husband has never been to Texas so we're taking a week trip down in January for him to get a taste (and for me to get a better feel, as I've only been to the Dallas area and San Antonio a couple of times).

I'm interested in the Hill Country area/San Antonio/Austin area, although I would consider Dallas as well. Love the thought of Houston and coastal cities, as I LOVE water (we're from Michigan), but I don't want to be on the coast because of Hurricanes.

We're flying into DFW (it was much cheaper than the other major airports). My thoughts were this for an itinerary:

21st (half day) - drive to San Antonio
22nd - San Antonio
23rd - Drive to San Marcos / Kyle
24th - Night out in Frederickson (Check out Marble Falls?)
25th - Drive Austin
26th - Austin
27th - Drive to Dallas
28th - Fly out

I know it's A LOT of travel each day. That's fine with us. I think of this as a little taste of a large area. Is there any place you think we should skip or spend more time in? Are there areas of Texas I should really consider? It looks like we would pretty much be seeing a narrow north/south portion of the state. Would it be worth diverging off the path with our quick trip?

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate constructive and helpful feedback.
do you mean Fredericksburg?Because i dont think ive heard of Frederickson.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:22 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,849,243 times
Is work, job markets, or traffic a factor. What kind of budget are yall looking at?

Yall are spending a lot of time in the Austin metro area and closely surrounding areas the 23-26th. You can probably clear out a day or two of that itinerary like so:

21 - Drive to SA

22 - SA. Stay the night on the Riverwalk for the tourist experience. Or stay the night in an appealing part of the city for more of a "resident" experience. I'd recommend north SA or far northwest near Six Flags.

23 - Fredricksburg and Kerrville, (HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Kerrville is one of the least talked about and underrated cities in TX.) I would also recommend skipping Marble Falls all together, (more on this in a bit). Start in Kerrville, coming from SA for breakfast and the rest of the morning/ lunch, then head over to Fredricksburg. This will take you back in the direction towards New Braunfels/ San Marcos. However, Marble Falls will make you backtrack a bit, going back to New Braunfels. ***(Consider skipping Marble Falls all together. It is a decent small town, with nice lakefront access. However, it really isn't anything special or unique, and the scenery isn't really the best. Everywhere else on the list is definitely worth spending more time in. If you do skip it, consider stopping by Boerne for breakfast on the way to Kerrville, then have lunch in Kerrville, and dinner in Fredricksburg. Boerne is a very nice suburb of SA with rolling hills and an awesome town square/center/downtown. Or, just spend the day in Kerrville and Fredricksburg, allowing yall to have more time in both.)***

24 - New Braunfels, San Marcos, and Kyle. ***(New Braunfels and San Marcos are only 20 miles apart but feel very different. San Marcos feels much busier than New Braunfels and more congested. It is a large college town and "suburb" of Austin. Although New Braunfels is a suburb of San Antonio, it feels much more as its own little city with everything you need and is very nice and kept up. You can skip Kyle if you want. It is a busy suburb of Austin and there isn't much to see. It is a nice suburb with a bunch of sprawl and a few shopping centers about 20 miles outside of downtown Austin. I bought my house there. It is like any nice, overgrowing suburb in Anywhere, USA.)***

25 - Austin. (There is a lot to do here so either stay the night in Austin on the 24th or you can book a hotel in Kyle since you are checking out New Braunfels and San Marcos the day before. Kyle is on the way back up to Austin. This will knock out two birds with one stone since you wanted to check Kyle out.)

26 - Start heading back to Dallas. This gives you a day to check out any other areas you may have wanted to, that you didn't think you had the time for. Some of the places I would recommend are Temple, Waco, and Ft. Worth. Temple and Waco are on the way back up to DFW. I'd say take a quick drive through Temple, spend some time in Waco, and maybe stay the night in Ft. Worth.

27 - Breakfast in Ft. Worth, then Dallas.

28 - Fly out

I tried to plan it out in a way to where yall will drive down to SA and then check out areas in which each stop will take you closer and closer back up to DFW aside from that little backtrack going from Marble Falls back down to New Braunfels if you decide to go there.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Now as far as recommendations, DFW, Austin and SA are all even to me and at the top of the list. Each city is different and feels like its own city with its own unique characteristics. So this will all be a matter of personal preference.

Of the Smaller areas in this order, I like New Braunfels the most, then Kerrville, San Marcos, Fredricksburg, Waco, Temple, and lastly Marble Falls.

Now for my last little bit of advice: Personally, I'd skip out on Houston. There is a huge Dallas vs Houston debate between Texans. But to me, both cities are the same, giant, sprawling, affordable, metropolis with huge freeways and tons of big skyscrapers, big international airports, have great food and are both very diverse. The only difference is one is in a prairie is colder, is in tornado alley, and is based around finance and distribution. The other is in a coastal plain/ piney forest, is warmer, more humid, has hurricanes, floods frequently, and is based around the oil/gas and energy sector. Dallas and Houston residents wouldn't want to hear this but it is honestly the truth but saying this can cause a s***show of an argument. I love both cities and they are both great. However, I would choose DFW over Houston, due to the weather more than anything.

Last edited by gabetx; 12-31-2020 at 01:55 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,076 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Primary purpose of trip?

Tourist? (If you plan to move to Texas, you don't have to hit all the tourist sites this trip) besides, you can make more trips, specifically for tourist events (Festivals) when 'normal' returns... even while living in TX,
Community survey? (Potential places / regions to live)
House hunting? (Price range?)

Requirements:
commute? (To job, school, medical, college, airport, services, entertainment / recreation venues?)

If you like water, do check out the lakes (there are a lot near Dalllas and a few within Hill Country)
If LIVING near the water is important, you can tailor your trip with that focus, if a variety of water sports is important, you can survey the options.
https://www.kwhillcountry.com/news/w...enjoy-summer1/
https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-lakes-texas/
https://texashighways.com/things-to-...m-texas-lakes/

Several Hill Country friends have PT homes at Buchanan Lake. (might be too far 'out' for a visit on a time constrained trip., but a good 'destination' for water sports and wildlife (eagle nesting tours).

BTW:
I would swing by Canyon Lake (nice drive up Guadalupe River from Gruene)
and Wimberley, but would avoid an out-of-the-way-trip to Medina Lake (drought yr(s) = very low water level)
Marble Falls is worth 10 - 20 min stop since it has decent waterfront / river access.

If visiting in January, (short daylight, possibly cold nights) consider talking the longer drives during the dark, and the scenic drives / towns during day. Stay overnight in the 'fun' towns (Fredericksburg is happening on weekends, bit dormant during the winter weeknights.) Luckenbach is only a few minute detour near Fredericksburg. If you take a loop from SA, swing by Boerne, Bandera, and Comfort, TX on your way to Fredericksburg, then the other direction towns toward Austin (Johnson City, Marble Falls, Wimberley, Dripping Springs).

If you are coming for fun... have FUN! (Don't keep too busy, save time for 'detours'.

There are some superb rural farm stays in Hill Country!!! some on very beautiful rivers.

ps. from above comment...Kerrville is one of the least talked about and underrated cities in TX.
(We have (several) rural income homes near Kerrville / Medina Pass.) It is our alternative location During PNW wet winters. Very close to many venues and much great recreation.
There is a really nice riverwalkway (Nature Center) there. Quite pretty river views near Hunt, TX

As a place to live... Kerrville has some challenges (lots of rehab facilities), / 2 class society = but actually very accepting of outsiders (unlike Fredericksburg and New Braunfels). If looking for home and sitting with big bucks, drive through Commanche Trace neighborhood (Not gated, very nice) Scenic clubhouse cafe. Nearby Camp Verde is another 'quaint' stop, (for late breakfast / lunch)

When traveling to learn about relocating we always stay with local people, not in Hotels. and ask a LOT of questions. (everywhere you go)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-31-2020 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 07:09 AM

7,756 posts, read 10,045,090 times
Is this like a “we’re looking at houses” trip too or just “let’s find fun touristy things to do” trip? If it’s the first find a realtor in the SA and Austin area. If you’re at the point of deciding be ready to even put in an offer on a house in the Austin metro (from Hays to Williamson county). Given the pandemic, homes are going in 2-3 days. (Helping my family right now and we’ve missed out on several homes recently). If it is an adventure trip consider the Valero or Salado Creek Greenbelt as a fun little walk in San Antonio. The Riverwalk is funish, but not amazing. In Austin, try a similar walk around Ladybird Lake. If you do go to the Hill Country find a stage park and make a reservation for some outdoor time. Id get a reservation at Enchanted Roxk if I were you. I tried to get one a few weeks ago for today and they were booked. (Glad I didn’t, the weather is a mess today).

Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 AM

7,279 posts, read 2,911,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Now for my last little bit of advice: Personally, I'd skip out on Houston. There is a huge Dallas vs Houston debate between Texans. But to me, both cities are the same, giant, sprawling, affordable, metropolis with huge freeways and tons of big skyscrapers, big international airports, have great food and are both very diverse. The only difference is one is in a prairie is colder, is in tornado alley, and is based around finance and distribution. The other is in a coastal plain/ piney forest, is warmer, more humid, has hurricanes, floods frequently, and is based around the oil/gas and energy sector. Dallas and Houston residents wouldn't want to hear this but it is honestly the truth but saying this can cause a s***show of an argument. I love both cities and they are both great. However, I would choose DFW over Houston, due to the weather more than anything.
^^^You're not wrong.

In fact, I'd say you're spot on.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:17 PM

8,449 posts, read 4,804,057 times
I did something similar to this a few years ago. We went KC, to Denver, to Vegas. And I gotta say, we just stayed in Texas. You really want to invest at least four days in each city imo.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:20 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
I would agree, too. The chance of your home getting by a tornado in DFW is far less than the chance of your home getting flooded by a hurricane in Houston.

You really need to decide where you'll be living before you can come and look. Since DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are the major job centers in the state, one of those cities is likely where you will be living. As much as we all love the Hill Country, there are very few jobs there that are not tourism-based, so the likelihood of being able to live in Fredericksburg or Marble Falls is very low. (If this is a retirement move, then that's another story entirely as those are both very popular places for retirees!)

Old 12-31-2020, 01:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,253,869 times
COVID is very bad in Texas. I would wait to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas