Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
yep and they, like all other hospitals, are desperate for nurses, probably even pays relocation and sign-on bonuses like many do
So, what you could do is live in Alpine and send your kids to Alpine ISD schools...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine%2C_Texas = Wikipedia article on Alpine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_...chool_District = Wikipedia article on Alpine ISD

Alpine website: http://www.alpinetexas.com/

Alpine ISD website: http://www.alpine.esc18.net/

Alpine ISD info: http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...ict_profile/89

There is also a PK-4 private Montessori school in Alpine.

I personally recommend Alpine because it has a full grocery store and a nearby community college.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
i have nothing against any races. i just dont feel comfortable being a minority and standing out in a crowd. i mean, come on now, the fact is that eventually i want to remarry, and my preference is caucasian men...nothing wrong with saying that
Last time I looked at a Map this still was the United States of America and you can say what ever you want to and it ain't no ones business...just one thing tho...a tall blonde is going to stand out in anywhere in Texas

Old 12-31-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
oh and how much ya wanna bet that alot of the almost 300 views have been from folks who secretly want to know the answer to the question i am asking? they just dont want to admit it for fear of being called a racist.
I'll say it...I prefer to be around my own as most people do...no matter what their race is....I just don't like illegals in my country and I don't care what anyone thinks about that....I live in a mixed neighborhood and I have no problem with that as long as they are Americans or are here leagal...

Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I'll say it...I prefer to be around my own as most people do...no matter what their race is....I just don't like illegals in my country and I don't care what anyone thinks about that....I live in a mixed neighborhood and I have no problem with that as long as they are Americans or are here leagal...
Bellestar will be fine in the Alpine/Marathon area.

It's close to the Mexico border, but I do not recall illegal immigration problems in the area.

In fact, there's even fine dining in the area; the Gage Hotel in Marathon is the expensive restaurant of Brewster County. I believe Marfa in Presidio County also offers fine dining.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Try Dumas Texas.....nice small town...county seat...county hospital there.....

Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
This is Alpine.. are ou sure you wanna live there?

http://www.yankeechick.com/photogallery/oldest%20street%20in%20Alpine%201.JPG (broken link)

Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
This is Alpine.. are ou sure you wanna live there?

http://www.yankeechick.com/photogallery/oldest%20street%20in%20Alpine%201.JPG (broken link)
Well, I was the one who suggested Alpine.

Muhnay, I was there... and... I found some others.

Lemme find pics of Sul Ross State University... in Alpine. http://www.jwcarpenter.com/images/sulross.jpg (broken link)

http://www.tstacy.com/images/buildin...ne___front.jpg = Alpine Grocery Store

http://www.alpine.esc18.net/000_0004.jpg = Alpine High School

While I LOVED visiting Marathon, I believe that Alpine would be better for a full-time resident.

http://www.gagehotel.com/ = Gage Hotel, a pricy hotel and restaurant, is in Marathon.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:27 PM

I have been though Alpine a few times.. if you like college students, parties galore, and a very small rual town, then Alpine is for you.

I will say Alpine for being what it is, is very nice. And its not so small you fart and the store across town knows 5 seconds prior. Its a good size town, but kinda off the beaten path and just as secluded as El Paso to the rest of Texas. One of the things about Alpine I dont like is its name is misleading, you think its a town or city in the mountains with big huge alpines all around it.. but..

I like Alpine, dont get me wrong, I would just never live there. I know its crazy but I would live in UVALDE Tx. I dont know what it is maybe cause its close to San Antonio, and other major areas of Texas, it has a awsome old town feel in its square, and its Green.

As for the Hispanic population in UVALDE, I dont know.. only saw a couple while I was there for a few days, but I am told they are plenty of them in the farming seasons.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I have been though Alpine a few times.. if you like college students, parties galore, and a very small rual town, then Alpine is for you.

I will say Alpine for being what it is, is very nice. And its not so small you fart and the store across town knows 5 seconds prior. Its a good size town, but kinda off the beaten path and just as secluded as El Paso to the rest of Texas. One of the things about Alpine I dont like is its name is misleading, you think its a town or city in the mountains with big huge alpines all around it.. but..

I like Alpine, dont get me wrong, I would just never live there. I know its crazy but I would live in UVALDE Tx. I dont know what it is maybe cause its close to San Antonio, and other major areas of Texas, it has a awsome old town feel in its square, and its Green.

As for the Hispanic population in UVALDE, I dont know.. only saw a couple while I was there for a few days, but I am told they are plenty of them in the farming seasons.
I used to think I wanted to live in Alpine to get away from the humidity of central Texas, but the drive out there as well as spending a few days there did it for me. It is the ugliest drive I've seen in my life; I almost felt as though I were lost on the moon.

The town of Alpine and even Marfa was okay, but the problem is that one barely had to drive out of town to see total ugly again. That's no place I want to be because not only do I want less humidity, I want beauty as well. It really is very unattractive out there. The Davis mountains are okay, I guess, for desert. I was there in May and I asked a store owner if were ever green in the area. He replied, "Yes, in July, when the monsoon rains come." I will keep my humidity rather than live out there.

Uvalde is a nice town, I agree, but the percentage of people in Uvalde that claim Hispanic ethnicity is 77.4%. Were you ever in the H.E.B. market? That will give you an idea very quickly about ethnicity.

My son used to live and work on a 200+ acre ranch outside of Batesville which is just a little spot on the map and about 20 miles or so from Uvalde. I must say that I loved it on the ranch. It was ever so peaceful and quiet with a beautiful view even though it was south of the hill country. All I ever heard were thousands of birds, saw tons of deer and other wildlife, and no traffic. I just loved it.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM

Corpus Christi used to be my favorite Texas city.. I go there every year. But its starting to become run down and ugly. The malls were empty, and run down. The streets filled with pot holes and unkept. Yes near the tourist parts it was quite nice.. But I hear and hear from many friends that live down there they are getting run over by illegals and the hispanic population is growing by huge amounts. Many of my friends are leaving and going places like Tampa Fl, and Some upto Seattle.

I have hispanic friends in Corpus as well.. and they say the same things.

But if you ever want to see ugly.. visit Del Rio.. talk about a **** bag. I feel bad for the poor air force peeps who have to be stationed there.

I was surprised at how clean and attractive Laredo looked. But it has a huge hispanic population. When I drove for Swift, I would drop off at our yard there and pick up stuff and bring it back to Phoenix.

I have been raised in El Paso TX, and I dont consider myself a raciest, as I have many hispanic friends. but I too want to see more white faces, I want to walk in and go on an interview and be asked can you speak english as a job requirement. I want people to know that bilingual is 2 languages and not english/spanish. I have found from living here that Hispanics for the most part have no respect. Hang out in a Wal*Mart for an hour or so and you'll see what I mean. Hang out at the mall, and you'll see what I mean.

When I was down in Mexico city, I would run into a shop and the clerks there spoke english. I tried to speak what Spanish I know out of respect.. and because I was in their country. But why is it everything here has to be printed in Spanish and English? why do we have to change to suit them, when they come here for a better way of life? You would think they would want to meld in and become one.. but most dont. When people from other countries come here, they learn english.. why cant the hispanics? I am all for holding onto your traditions and spoken word, but learning english wont steal that away from you.

Also when I was in lower regions of Mexico, the language there was differant.. the stuff here is border slang. or what they call spanglish.

you can think I am a raciest because I want to be with people of my skin color, and speak english, but... just remember that works both ways. You can be considered a raciest for wanting me to learn your language, adapt your customs and deal with your lack of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas