Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM

30 posts, read 111,379 times

Advertisements

HI,

HUBBY COULD POSSIBLY TRANSFER TO TEMPLE THROUGH HIS JOB. WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE AREA SO I'M SEEKING OUT HONEST OPINIONS FROM ANYONE WILLING TO HELP.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO AVOID, WHAT TO LOOK FOR. WE HAVE 3 SMALL KIDS AND ARE NEEDING TO UPGRADE OUR HOUSING. WE CURRENTLY LIVE IN THE HIGH DESER OF CALIF. HATE IT HERE, BUT ALL FAMILY IS HERE. TIRED OF GANGS, GRAFFITI AND LACK OF MANNERS.

WE ARE WANTING GREAT SCHOOLS, PLEASANT AREA, CLEAN ENVIRONMENT WITH FRIENDLY PEOPLE (WHICH I HEAR TEXAS IS NOTORIOUS FOR ) WE ARE WILLING TO COMMUTE, WERE LOOKING INTO AUSTIN NOT TO LONG AGO.

SO ONCE AGAIN ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 28,208 times
Smile Lucky you! You are moving into Texas Paradise

I am senior citizen moved to Temple, TX from Houston, two(2) years ago. My wife and I love this City. It is 30 miles north of Rockdale or Milano. 40 miles south of Waco (President George Bush's farm). and 50 miles north of Austin.

I highly recommend this City to all senior citizens. This city has about 60,000 population, two huge lakes within 5 miles from the City. I go fishing year around after I joined a local fishing club. I caught fishes every trip to the lake (between 10-50 fishes in a few hours). I am not professional fishman, but I just caught too many fishes that I can not sell, but to give away to my friends in Houston. Boy!, they love the fish and they all want to move into this city when they retire.

Nearby Cities like Belton, Forthood (largest army depot with 250K populations) are all within 20 minutes drive. If you want travel further to big cities like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, they are all with 2-2.5 hours drive.

S&W medical center provide free parking and free shuttle bus. They recently build new medical buildings to provide better services. Though I heard some comlains from a couple of fish club Veteran members on S&W services. But I am receiving pretty good services. Only you need to watch your medical bill. Especially bills from King's Daughter Hospital. Their services are the best, but the bill are also the highest if you are not covered by a medical insurance.

Well, there are a new Home Depot shopping center with Best Buy, Target stores and Macy, Sears, JC Penny and other major department stores in the only shoping mall. There are movie theathers and every kind of stores inside the mall too. Good restaurants are everywhere. but I still prefer to dine in Houston on a weekend trip. I met some retired folks from CA, and Florida. They all love this City. I think this is the best kept secret in Texas. Lakeside view is so beautiful like lake in Switzerland.

Local people do not like advertising this City. They prefer less population to keep the crime rate low. But I do not want to keep this secret to myself. because I am a CP. I would like to have more clients here. I will tell you everything, if you will let me take care of your tax after you move here.

By the way, the housing prices went up lately. But they are still cheap compare to other places. Average new house prices are about 100K to 200K. Lakeside properties are more expensive. But you can still get an old house for $30K, if you are a handyman.

The only problem here is the demand for professional worker is low except medical professionals and constructive workers.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,089 times
Exclamation consider yourself lucky

I was born and raised in southern california. I recently visited a friend in temple tx. The town is clean, the people are indeed friendly and the real estate prices are the equivalent of a down payment in orange county. I am shocked that this town is not booming. You are less than three hours away from the following: New york city, chicago, miami, las vegas, cancun Phoenix, denver, san francisco and oh yes, los angeles. You can easily drive to san antone, houston, dallas and Austin is only about 55 miles down hwy 35. The weather is very similar to los angeles without the smog The only reason that I havent moved there is because my family and grandkids are here in so cal. Otherwise, I would have moved there yesterday!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
Wink Possible Transfer to Temple, Texas...DON'T

Dear Prospective Temple movers,
I understand your disgust with your situation in California. I moved from California to the Houston area when I was 13. I loved the Gulf coast area.
I hope I am not too late in posting this to you. Please, whatever you do...do not move to this town. I have had experience with the schools (my grandchildren attend elementary here) and they are not very progressive. I am a retired TX school teacher and I know what I am talking about. If you move here, be prepared to put your children in the private schools here...the public schools will disappoint you immensly.
I am here by circumstance, taking care of an elderly parent, and believe me, if I could leave, I would have left yesterday. There is not much to do here, the sidewalks roll up at 5:00pm....my daughter could not procure employment for almost 2 years, and that is not unusual here. Pretty clicky! I have been here for two years and I find the medical care lacking, in fact everything is lacking here. The roads are permanently under construction and it takes about 30 min. to get across this little town.
The houses, for the value, are horribly over priced.
PLEASE...if you can, move to Austin. The medical care, the schools, the entertainment, the opportunities, everything far exceeds anything you will find here. There are so many areas to choose for housing in the Austin area, and the houses are beautiful. You can live on the lake or in town or a suburb.
I have lived in Austin and there is no comparison. People come to Austin and never want to leave, stars, athletes, film makers, you name it. Austin has something for everyone and it is the most tolerant city you will ever find, not to mention that it is beautiful. Forget about Temple, it will only give you grief, especially your children. Do the smart thing and by pass Temple for Austin. You will be glad that you did

White dog92

Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 34,906 times
I am a former resident of Temple and did not have the same experience as whitedog92. Obviously, Austin has a ton more to offer and there is no comparison between the two; one is a progressive, mid-size metropolitan area with a major university that's very affluent and caters to the "high-tech" industry. The other is a rural environment and has everything that comes with (including the lack of major crime, lack of entertainment, etc...). Nonetheless, there is plenty there to offer for a family with 3 kids.

From a jobs standpoint, there are three major employers in the area: Scott & White Hospital, McLane Company, and Wilsonart. S&W is a huge and very reputable hospital, McLane is a $20 billion+ company and a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett), and WilsonArt is also a multi-billion dollar manufacturing company. You can't be home to these sorts of industries and not have some good things and all the necessary things in the community to service the families that work there.

From a school standpoint, I would recommend living in Belton. They have a better reputation and test scores than the Temple schools and most of the facilities are newer as well. It's a 10-15 minute commute from the furthest 2 points in Temple & Belton. I know some that elected to live on the south side of Waco and commute and that's about a 35 minute trip each way. The commute from Austin would be very tough as you are talking a solid hour even from the North side of Austin.

In short, I don't think you'll have trouble finding what you desire ("great schools, pleasant area, clean environment, friendly people") in the Temple/Belton area. It's certainly going to be a very economical place to live and its close enough to major areas (Austin = 1 hour, Waco = 30 min, Dallas = 2 hours) that if you need entertainment you can get to it. If your like most families with 3 kids, your entertainment is whatever your kids are into and they will certainly have plenty of things to get involved in since Bell County is home to over 200K people.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
I still stand by my original post. Temple is not the place to go in favor of Austin.
As posted by gosaints, yes, the Belton Schools are much better than Temple schools. Do not be fooled into thinking that crime is low here. If you compare it to other cities the same size. the crime rate is comparable . Crime is crime regardless of where you are.
I have talked and visited with several transplants to Temple and those that I have talked with share my observations. Scott and White, has many internal problems and since I have been privy to this hospital and its workings and ethical treatment of staff, I will stand by my post that you find much better medical care in Austin. Yes, there are the companys mentioned by gosaints, but try to get in the front door. I know degeed people that cannot make a contact and are not considered in favor of a Temple local. Sprint call Center is here too, but go online and read what is said about Sprint and its call centers, including the one right here in Temple.
Even gosaints suggested that you move to Belton, what does that say about Temple?....a lot to me if I was considering three children. Bypassing this town in favor of Austin is the biggest favor you will ever do for your family. If you are not wanting such a big city, please, then, visit Bastrop, TX about 42 mi. from Austin. That is a beautiful small rural town with every amenity you would want.
Don't waste your time on Temple, so many places in TX are so much better.

White dog 92

Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I don't know about living life in Temple or any of the internal politics, but I will tell you that my husband couldn't find any work in Austin, but did get hired by a company in Temple. We live a little over an hour South of Temple, not too far from Austin.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
We have lived in Temple since 1997 and enjoy it very much. An internet opinion is worth what you pay for it and everyone has a different perspective. Whitedog92 no doubt had a bad experience. Mine has been positive. I also like broccoli and would recommend it to anyone who asked. My oldest son won't touch broccoli. Different strokes...

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
there are parts of Temple that are very nice and rural (near Heidenheimer), but the commercial area is waaaay too congested, and the roads are so confusing-the loops and all. i have gone shopping there (lots of good stores) but it's such a headache driving around and trying to find your way around. i definitely need GPS next time i go there.
i spent Christmas and New Years there (ranch-sitting) so had to go into town to get stuff e.g. videos etc. i did my grocery shopping at HEB in Belton because Temple was way too busy for me.
there is a definitely different feel to the area compared to the west side of Ft Hood. i personally dont care for it much, but then again, i was not in my "comfort zone".
if i HAD to work in Temple, i would live in Gatesville, The Grove, Leon Junction, Mound, South Mountain. NO DOUBT

Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
I've never heard anyone say that Temple is too difficult to get around. True it is more difficult than, say, Heidenheimer, or Rogers, but we're not talking Austin or D/FW here. Temple has a population of about 55,000; hardly a congested metroplex.

The main part of Loop 363 is under construction and will be through the summer I believe. It is not a lot of fun to drive, but it sure will be nice when finished.

As I mentioned before, experiences are relative. I've known people who can't stand Temple, but it has been good for my family. Every town has it's share of problems and Temple is no different. Still, it is what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas