Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Even with the crime rate, sprawl and flooding I still had Houston on my radar. The city is one of the very few in this country where a black working class citizen can do well, if not thrive in, despite its faults. But after the mess this week, nope. And it's not due to the "once in a lifetime" event. Again, the place gets floods.

The state had a decade to prepare for this. They were warned to winterize the infrastructure and warned to regulate the grid. You're in the middle of the country; you can't escape Artic air forever. But because of muh independence/regulation iz bad lolz, the pols shrugged 'em off and look what happened. Just like I can't reside in a city/state that rewards lawlessness, I can't reside in a libertarian(with a lower l)state that has a disdain for its citizens.

I feel for the residents. I get why people think Texas has an it factor--I believed that too. But there's a reason Scotty Kilmer left.
Hey I get it...with all the pros Houston has it and the state of Texas routinely gets in their own way with out they handle policy. A large part of the lack of competent infrastructure for events as such I believe is tied to Texas reliance on the Energy industry. Ironically that's what led to the fallout to the winter storm and it's played a role in the fallout of floods and hurricanes. In the way business works in Houston one can say it's a microcosm of Texas. Seeing how Houston is so important to Texas economy via the energy industry. And I'm not trying to paint the Energy industry as the big bad wolf but it's some problems there and it has impact on the structure of our cities and states. Matter fact to let you know how involved the Energy industry is in Houston, Shell had created a new "Make Houston better" project back in 2019 to help minimize the floods and to make Houston a more livable and walkable area. I just thought Shell being apart of this huge project was jokes but we'll see.

With all that said I understand how you feel. Even though I love Houston some of it's problems are just frustrating. No city is perfect but sometimes it just like C"MON ON.

Btw, I thought Kilmer left Texas to be closer to his son and grandkids? Had nothing to do with Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire1 View Post
I must say, its obvious at this point that Houston, in particular, is unprepared for everything. Any glitch other than the normal blistering heat and humidity causes city wide shutdowns. Hurricanes, too much rain, frost, snow, ice. Anything shuts the city down. It seems to be a horribly run city. Its saving grace is its self sustaining energy economy, which is ironic considering its the energy capital of the US but remained out of power for a week.
Weird calling out Houston when every part of the state under ERCOT was in shambles. I mean was DFW, Austin, and San Antonio not shut down this week? Unless you live in El Paso/Northeast Texas/ or the Panhandle I wouldn't go swinging my ego around. Not in this instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I have a relative I grew up with in Detroit who now lives in Houston and they confirmed the same thing. The city definitely has a highly visible "well-to-do" black community.

I was *this* close to moving there myself, but ultimately decided on Dallas because of the diverse economy.

But yeah, I completely get what you're saying about Texas and you're 100% spot on. I'm going to be thinking long and hard about moving to a new location between now and the time my lease is up next year.
I'm a born and raised Texan but if it wasn't for family I'd probably still be in Georgia. Not to say GA is perfect far from it but these disaster responses are tiresome. Mind you I grew up in Northeast Texas where we don't flood regularly, nor get a lot of tornados or hail storms. I was very ignorant when I first moved to Houston. I knew the city floods but I thought hey if I just move to the northside I should be good. SHIDDDDDDDDDDD!

So outside of Atlanta, i'm not really scrambling to move outside of Texas but these natural disasters do put a pause on my interest in purchasing a home here. At least in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's about readiness and Infrastructure. The fallout response and readiness i'm seeing in Texas is among the worst in the world. Closer to Bangladesh than a major US territory.
In the world? Stop, your doing too much. Also Texas is pretty incompetent when it comes to infrastructure but it’s not the worst. It’s #33. Right under California and above New Jersey. West Virginia is the worst in this country. So yeah

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...infrastructure

Last edited by Redlionjr; 02-22-2021 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 07:26 PM

570 posts, read 560,186 times
Quote:
It's about readiness and Infrastructure. The fallout response and readiness i'm seeing in Texas is among the worst in the world. Closer to Bangladesh than a major US territory.
The preparation could have been alot better but some chose to ignore it. This is a wake up call for us.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:53 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire1 View Post
Nah..not exaggerating a bit.
You're actually exaggerating a LOT.

Quote:
Everything shuts the city down.
nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Weird calling out Houston when every part of the state under ERCOT was in shambles. I mean was DFW, Austin, and San Antonio not shut down this week? Unless you live in El Paso/Northeast Texas/ or the Panhandle I wouldn't go swinging my ego around. Not in this instance.
What makes it even stranger is that the poster in question likely doesn't even live in the Houston area at all. He clearly doesn't have a clue at all.

Last edited by kemahkami; 02-22-2021 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 07:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Bama doesn't get dealt the same hand from mother nature for starters.
Incorrect.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:07 PM

468 posts, read 475,535 times
Hey you stop ragging on houston. Dallas is really lame. We got gangs and republicans here in dallas. And no Del tacos in dallas. All you calis need to check out houston, way better than dallas.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:32 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Hey you stop ragging on houston. Dallas is really lame. We got gangs and republicans here in dallas. And no Del tacos in dallas. All you calis need to check out houston, way better than dallas.
who?

Old 02-23-2021, 08:06 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
If I owned a business Texas would be very low on this of states that would be attractive. If I were thinking of moving my family here it would be hard to justify. The ERCOT debacle is just another reason to recognize the flaws here.
Yet Texas is always considered one of the top 5 states in the country to open up a business. I'm all for fair criticism but the business culture is one of the best things about the state. For all the states negatives starting or owning a business is not one. Let's not throw the whole baby away just because we're upset at how incompetent the state is at other things.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,782 times
Yes they will continue to move here. Look at the daily posts about people moving here mainly from CA. Just in the Dallas section there is at least one a day

Old 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
If I owned a business Texas would be very low on this of states that would be attractive.

That seems a bit short-sited. I lost power during this latest debacle and it sucked, but it's literally the first time I've experienced a power outage that lasted longer than 30 minutes in the 40+ years I've lived in Texas.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:16 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
I'm wondering what businesses might have to do for mitigation or just move out. It's easy to move people but if it's say a factory that's much harder. What if Dell left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas