Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 05:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

!5 percent of the 29,000,000 Texans lost power at some point. Two days later, .002 percent of Texans remain without electricity.

This was record breaking cold. It broke all recorded temps in many areas, including mine (NE Texas).

But yes, by all means, don't come here. It's awful. Texas sucks. Stay where you are!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
In all reality no.

Floods and hurricanes will be more a deterrent than this.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
"Texas sucks" - KathrynAragon

Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
!5 percent of the 29,000,000 Texans lost power at some point. Two days later, .002 percent of Texans remain without electricity.

This was record breaking cold. It broke all recorded temps in many areas, including mine (NE Texas).

But yes, by all means, don't come here. It's awful. Texas sucks. Stay where you are!!!!!!!
No 4.3 million households,

So 2/5

Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No 4.3 million households,

So 2/5
Plus once your pipes burst, your home will be unlivable for months

IF you have insurance and IF you can find a plumber etc...this repair will be long term and costly

Old 02-18-2021, 06:34 PM

The kind of publicity this event is getting is crazy. Some people I know were watching "Premios Los Nuestros" and they dedicated some of their performances to "Texas suffering without power. Let our heat come to you..." things of that sort. This is a household thing. I've even seen people this is on par with Katrina. Which is stupid, but you even have people hearing that.

You can't really say surely that publicity like that won't have some kind of effect, but again, other than maybe Austin, people moving to Texas aren't to go to some awesome cool paradise.

As long as outside companies keep investing their money in Texas, the state will follow with population growth. As long as Japanese and Korean companies keep investing in Houston and Dallas. As long as Big Tech keeps expanding its Austin presence, as long as Texas keeps improving Rice, UT, A&M, UTD, UH, SMU, TCU, etc, people will still be attracted to what's offered here and the COL.

You'll get somes who were on the verge of pulling off a move and change their mind, but it won't those will only be the first year or two. After that everyone who didn't come or didn't want to already didn't.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:05 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No! Please take heed, all of you! Between the ice storms, summer heat, rattlesnakes everywhere, tornadoes every week, hurricanes, tsunamis, dust storms, and invasions of giant tarantulas, Texas is a horrible place! Do yourselves a favor and don't move here!

THIS! And really???? Don't y'all SEE how unprepared Texas ALWAYS IS for disaster?????? This state, this large ass state is NEVER prepared for anything! Stay in CA and NJ!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Default Texans, Transplants, and those thinking of moving here how do you feel about the state NOW?

Before people start jumping down my throat at the thought of the thread I'm just making this based off a couple of comments I heard from Native Texans, transplants and those thinking of moving here. I don't know how people will feel once the smoke has settled and things get back to "normal", I know there was quite a few Houstonians that felt like leaving the city right after Harvey only to remain in the city once the city got back to some normality. But I wonder how people feel this time especially realizing how the state pretty much left their residents to fend for themselves. And it's not like these incidents continue to happen because of nature itself but men's negligence due to corruption and greed.

As much good news Texas has gotten due to an influx of corporations and migration here we continue to get these embarrassing responses to natural disaster and the people that pay for it the most are everyday citizens of this state. Like I said I don't know how people will feel as time moves forward but people can't continue going through these blunders. Especially in Southeast Texas where we've been hit with these "once in a lifetime" natural disasters what's now seeming like every 2 to 3 years in the past decade or so. Not to mention in the middle of a pandemic.

But I like to hear from the rest of yall on this subject.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,247,479 times
I have 0 interest in moving to Texas. We are quite comfortable in NorCal where the power is on and the water works.
I do feel bad for the millions of people left in the cold with no help from Greg Abbott.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 PM

We already made this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas