Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:41 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I have 0 interest in moving to Texas. We are quite comfortable in NorCal where the power is on and the water works.
I do feel bad for the millions of people left in the cold with no help from Greg Abbott.
I’ve been comfortable this entire time with my lights and water never cutting off one time. And I can walk the streets without worrying about having to scrape human feces and syringe residue off the bottom of my shoes when it gets warm again outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I’ve been comfortable this entire time with my lights and water never cutting off one time...
Lucky you...

Old 02-18-2021, 10:09 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
My power followed rotating blackouts. I also lost water and currently still do not have it. Needless to say I'm not exactly a happy camper but it could have been much worse considering what happened in S.Austin - Still .. I love some things about Texas but there are things that I do not like about it.

Power infrastructure aside, Texas seems to be among the most apt states in development planning. Texas is good at coordinating for growth.

Problem with Texas is, after that growth comes you're pretty much on your own. Everything here is so incentive to corporate growth and relocations. Its good for the economy but there isn't much more focus to state and public affairs outside of that. Texas can't keep piling its fiscal obligations to property owners. Most key infrastructure improvements are toll roads, which I still prefer over no infrastructure improvements at all, but when you keep hearing about these multi-million and billion dollar corporate relo's - many of which are using federal dollars to achieve, you have to wonder why you're being footed with the bill to run the state.. ..which brings me to another thing..

Texas isn't exactly cheap anymore - unless you're renting, but property owners pay a pretty penny to live here and there is no end / relief in sight in terms of increasing property taxes. It's not California, Seattle, New York levels - but its definitely not as affordable as its made out to be. Texas has alot of hidden fee's that do not stand out right up front when when considering moving here, a typical 30 year mortgage for example will cost nearly double the value of their home when they complete their mortgage. That stated, there is no perfect place and I don't have a desire to uproot myself at this time. Texas has alot going for it in the job market, and its a great place to enter certain fields and even work into senior levels.

Texan people are among the most friendly I've met and carry a certain hospitality about them that I've never felt anywhere else. Another good thing about Texas is, its relatively safe. I mean, yes it does have crime, but Texas would never allow crime to go rampant or allow riots to go uncontrolled like certain metro's have.

When it comes to progressive versus conservative leadership, I feel both sides are heavily polarized and both sides are going in the wrong directions.. I'm completely indifferent of it.

When it comes down to it... I've lived in DFW, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle and Austin metro's... there are definitely things I don't like about TX but .. there's really no place else to go that doesn't have extreme issues. Everything is just a lateral move, trading one problem for another... ...so I guess I won't be going anywhere.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Lucky you...
Yeah lucky this time...next time though I’m heading to the part of Northeast Texas that’s not on the ERCOT grid map. A lot of my friends and Family experienced little to no power outages. My brothers lights went out for a couple of hours up there but came back on and never went back out.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:18 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah lucky this time...next time though I’m heading to the part of Northeast Texas that’s not on the ERCOT grid map. A lot of my friends and Family experienced little to no power outages. My brothers lights went out for a couple of hours up there but came back on and never went back out.
Hopefully there wont be a next time.. ..I mean for a state that calls itself the energy capital we were made jokes of during this event.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
"Texas sucks" - KathrynAragon
"Tongue in cheek" and "Humor is subjective" - KathrynAragon

Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No 4.3 million households,

So 2/5
Source please? Here's mine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...-live-updates/

2.8 million households:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...-live-updates/

If a household has 2.85 members on average, that's 25 percent of Texans which went without power for any length of time over the past few days. Now keep in mind that that figure includes households like mine, which went without power for three hours Tuesday only. Currently, there are about 350,000 Texans without power which is .002 percent of the total population.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:22 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
More stats:
- Texas population 29.4M
- 7 million Texans were under under boil water advisories due to water line breaks and power disruptions impacting water treatment plants
- by February 18, more than 13 million people in Texas lived in areas covered by boil-water advisories
- at the peak of the outages, at least 4.3 million Texas residents were left without electricity
- about 350,000 homes and businesses remained without electricity in Texas late Thursday afternoon
(While that's still a significant number, it's a major improvement over the 4 million outages reported Tuesday and the more than 2.5 million Wednesday night.)
- due to the deregulated electricity market and the spike in demand, since February 10, wholesale electricity prices have gone up in some places by 10,000%. As a result, some Texans are receiving exceptionally expensive electric bills as high as $450.00 for one day of use
- on Feb. 16 daily records low:
Dallas (−2 °F/−19 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1930 and its second-coldest on record),
Houston (13 °F /−11 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989),
San Antonio (12 °F /−11 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989)
Little Rock (−1 °F /−18 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989)
- Texas winter storms brought such unusual cold that it confused the weather satellites and tricked them into malfunctioning. The cold air chilled the ground so much that one monitoring satellite mistook the ground for tops of clouds, which are usually much colder than surface temperatures.
- with snow still falling, snowfall stats are not collected yet

https://weather.com/news/news/2021-0...ce-snow-south#
and other various sources

Old 02-19-2021, 06:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I find that Californian-Be-Gone works equally well on Yetis.

It's getting harder and harder to find, these days, though.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
More stats:
- Texas population 29.4M
- 7 million Texans were under under boil water advisories due to water line breaks and power disruptions impacting water treatment plants
- by February 18, more than 13 million people in Texas lived in areas covered by boil-water advisories
- at the peak of the outages, at least 4.3 million Texas residents were left without electricity
- about 350,000 homes and businesses remained without electricity in Texas late Thursday afternoon
(While that's still a significant number, it's a major improvement over the 4 million outages reported Tuesday and the more than 2.5 million Wednesday night.)
- due to the deregulated electricity market and the spike in demand, since February 10, wholesale electricity prices have gone up in some places by 10,000%. As a result, some Texans are receiving exceptionally expensive electric bills as high as $450.00 for one day of use
- on Feb. 16 daily records low:
Dallas (−2 °F/−19 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1930 and its second-coldest on record),
Houston (13 °F /−11 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989),
San Antonio (12 °F /−11 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989)
Little Rock (−1 °F /−18 °C], the city's coldest temperature since 1989)
- Texas winter storms brought such unusual cold that it confused the weather satellites and tricked them into malfunctioning. The cold air chilled the ground so much that one monitoring satellite mistook the ground for tops of clouds, which are usually much colder than surface temperatures.
- with snow still falling, snowfall stats are not collected yet

https://weather.com/news/news/2021-0...ce-snow-south#
and other various sources
Exactly! Even if the numbers were just 2.8 million households, I don't see how anybody can look at that and pretend as if that's not a big deal. Even 2.8 million households shouldn't be without power for days. And we're not even talking generally rural areas no supposedly world class cities here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hopefully there wont be a next time.. ..I mean for a state that calls itself the energy capital we were made jokes of during this event.
Yeah they might as well call themselves "The energy corporations capital of the world". But I don't want to hear that joke of a slogan anymore. LOL Don't wanna hear them bragging about having their own grid either as if that's some kind of accomplishment after this either. Gotta eat some humble pie for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas