Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 02:11 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Just a few months ago many here were bragging on how well Europe had handled it compared to the US.
Europe did do better than America in some ways but the entire world is getting fatigued of the pandemic restrictions now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 02:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Europe did do better than America in some ways but the entire world is getting fatigued of the pandemic restrictions now.

Perhaps they had a better grade at mid-terms but it is a bit soon to be passing out final grades. My point was really about that and how some took an early data point and used it to push an agenda.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Perhaps they had a better grade at mid-terms but it is a bit soon to be passing out final grades. My point was really about that and how some took an early data point and used it to push an agenda.
We're not in the final yet and it's not a pecking order contest. Covid19 is a global problem faced by the human race. We are better off as humanity, the fewer people catch it and die from it in any country.

Europe's latest wave may be a precursor to the U.S.'s next wave, so this is not the time to brag.

For the record the Spanish Influenza had about 20 small waves worldwide over 3 years, among which there were 3 big ones that occurred in the U.S. The first one wasn't the worst. The 3rd one developed in Australia about 18 months after the first breakout. So we don't know if we have faced the most deadly strain or variant of covid19 yet. It's possible the vaccines won't protect against more variants although the Pfizer and Moderna ones look promising.

Also for the record - the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works so well because Germany has some of the best lung research in the world and has been working on SARS research since the early 00s. The two scientists who invented the mRNA process for Pfizer are German citizens of Turkish immigrant origin. So this is a global effort. Trying to act as if one country got it right for political reasons doesn't help anything. We will not be able to fairly judge international responses until years after the whole thing is over and we can get all the facts to assess. We are working with incomplete data right now.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:55 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
We're not in the final yet and it's not a pecking order contest. Covid19 is a global problem faced by the human race. We are better off as humanity, the fewer people catch it and die from it in any country.

Europe's latest wave may be a precursor to the U.S.'s next wave, so this is not the time to brag.

For the record the Spanish Influenza had about 20 small waves worldwide over 3 years, among which there were 3 big ones that occurred in the U.S. The first one wasn't the worst. The 3rd one developed in Australia about 18 months after the first breakout. So we don't know if we have faced the most deadly strain or variant of covid19 yet. It's possible the vaccines won't protect against more variants although the Pfizer and Moderna ones look promising.

Also for the record - the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works so well because Germany has some of the best lung research in the world and has been working on SARS research since the early 00s. The two scientists who invented the mRNA process for Pfizer are German citizens of Turkish immigrant origin. So this is a global effort. Trying to act as if one country got it right for political reasons doesn't help anything. We will not be able to fairly judge international responses until years after the whole thing is over and we can get all the facts to assess. We are working with incomplete data right now.
You are missing the point.

The point is many on this website and almost all media pointed to the US versus Europe holding them up as the gold standard sans Italy.

Your points above make sense, but they are to accurate for the US media to articulate.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:03 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

The point is many on this website and almost all media pointed to the US versus Europe holding them up as the gold standard sans Italy.

Your points above make sense, but they are to accurate for the US media to articulate.
You know “the US media” isn’t a monolith written for those with an 8th grade reading comprehension, right? From the beginning, countries as different as Taiwan, Vietnam, and Australia have been options for gold standards, and Sweden and the UK have been held up as failures alongside the US.

That said, the feds get a gold star for incentivizing and securing vaccine production by making sure it’s free at point of administration.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

The big issue is, we don't have all the data right now we need to fairly judge countries' responses against each other, and we won't until the thing is all over. After that point, we'll have a chance to breath and look at the holistic responses over the entirety of the event.

E.g.: Sweden was pointed to by Republicans as a light-touch restriction country we should pay attention to... but what really happened is they were not hit by covid very much until winter 2020, when they were hit hard. Now they have restrictions. I think a lot of that is happening in the States - some are not hit at a particular time by covid and those for or against restrictions are trying to use their examples to make political points based on that incomplete information.

For me, the sad truth is that the virus is gonna virus. I think the politicians should frame restrictions as health care resource management, particularly hospital beds and ICUs, and not frame it as covid case management. We can't really stop cases.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
The big issue is, we don't have all the data right now we need to fairly judge countries' responses against each other, and we won't until the thing is all over. After that point, we'll have a chance to breath and look at the holistic responses over the entirety of the event.

The reality, and I saw a good article from some leading medical experts about it, is that it is difficult if not impossible to really compare different countries. There are so many variables involved that could account for difference. Different places have different exposures, different laws, culture, climate, etc. And then different places collect and report data differently.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:38 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Not a lot of experts that are more 'expert' than this guy

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...a-2af548591846
Actually this guy has lost any influence. He was one saying that mRNA vaccines were completely dangerous years ago and now has completely changed his tune based on zero science at all. He has been shown to change his opinion more than the wind blows.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Interesting that the only people I know this year that are sick are constant mask wearers and people getting the so called "vaccine". People were freaked out over the mask mandate, but yet from what I see most are still wearing them. I will admit I'm not and I'm staying around people that don't wear them. This is how if you are reasonably healthy you build your immune system. So for you scared, stay at home, wear a bacteria trap, and keep away from others. And then go get injected and when you feel all warm and safe you will end up sick...but please don't blame it on others.

For those that want to consistently say masks work why have areas, states, and/or countries with or without mask mandates have really no difference in cases/deaths (not that those numbers aren't questionable). It has made no difference cause nobody wants to hear the truth, we can't control the virus and it will work its way thru and do what it has to until it runs low on hosts. All lockdowns and scaring people has done is delay the virus transmission, but it has not stopped it. Stop with this "stop the spread". I was fine with the flatten the curve to some degree to keep hospitals from being overrun, but after that we have no control.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:18 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Interesting that the only people I know this year that are sick are constant mask wearers and people getting the so called "vaccine". People were freaked out over the mask mandate, but yet from what I see most are still wearing them. I will admit I'm not and I'm staying around people that don't wear them. This is how if you are reasonably healthy you build your immune system. So for you scared, stay at home, wear a bacteria trap, and keep away from others. And then go get injected and when you feel all warm and safe you will end up sick...but please don't blame it on others.

For those that want to consistently say masks work why have areas, states, and/or countries with or without mask mandates have really no difference in cases/deaths (not that those numbers aren't questionable). It has made no difference cause nobody wants to hear the truth, we can't control the virus and it will work its way thru and do what it has to until it runs low on hosts. All lockdowns and scaring people has done is delay the virus transmission, but it has not stopped it. Stop with this "stop the spread". I was fine with the flatten the curve to some degree to keep hospitals from being overrun, but after that we have no control.
Absolutely astounding. We are all doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas