Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 06:40 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If 'Beto' was the governor, there would be nothing but praise and hallelujahs from the Left. You don't need to indicate publicly, just keep it to yourself, and be honest.
Amazing how people create fantasy escenarios and then use that to support their logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 07:01 AM

596 posts, read 302,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Amazing how people create fantasy escenarios and then use that to support their logic.
And the other unfortunate aspect is that this had to be politicized. Not picking a side, just saying politics should have nothing to do with it.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
I know a couple of family members who've lost their lives to covid. Just found out this weekend a high school student who's a friend of the family lost both his parents to covid. Now has to raise his young siblings with the help of extended Family.

You know people can throw their sob stories around in favor of Abbot's decision. Yeah people lost businesses, people suffered from the isolation and job loss, suicide and depression. Yeah your "freedoms" were taken away which btw is some 1st world problem bullsh*t but ok boo hoo to you not being able to walk in a mall without being "suffocated" by the mask. But we can go on and on about tragedies on both sides of the coin.

I get it, businesses are suffering people should be able to open up businesses to support their family considering the fact the government is not going to look out for small businesses. I'm not completely against opening up Texas if they were smart about it. But this is America and more specifically Texas. Texas is a microcosm of America damn near on steroids when it comes to governing. You know it's political and when you go about it politically like this I have my reservations.

But all you can do is look out for your family and self and do what you feel is best for you. I'm not going to shame or complain if people choose not to wear a mask in public spaces. It's exhausting at this point plus I know where I'm at. I know what type of people exist in this state. I just find

Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
There is nothing stopping you from making your store require masks.
We will continue to for the safety of our staff and members. The state’s mandate shields employees from having to deal with “mask-holes”. With zero state leadership PLUS the inability for local government to step in until hospital rates are 15%, if leaves businesses to be the front line of public health. Which is and should not be our role!!!

Old 03-03-2021, 07:34 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
There isn't anything that prevents YOU from wearing 1, 2 or 3 masks, scuba tank, or staying home.
Let the rest of us that want to live our lives do so. I had covid and was tired for 1 day, lost smell/taste for 3 weeks. Husband with heart stents and high blood pressure slept a lot for about 9 days. Friend's 82 yr old mom w/Stage IV liver cancer recovered at home. A coworker's 100 yr old mother recovered at
home.
If you don't feel comfortable going out, then don't. If you only want to patronize businesses that require masks, then have at it.
The vaccine is experimental, apparently doesnt prevent you getting the virus or spreading it according to Fauci. Yet asymptomatic spread hasnt exactly been proven.
I have high antibodies and will not be getting the vaccine. I am also not going to participate in the mask wearing once it isn't required.
You do what you feel comfortable with, but everyone needs to be responsible for their own health.

This post is amazing to me.
So you, your husband, friend's mom and coworkers mom all had covid and recovered so now you apparently think you are superwoman and dismiss masks and the vaccines???

I wonder what your reaction would be if your husband, friend's mom and coworker's mom all died instead. And then you recovered but lost half of your lung function and remain on a ventilator???
It's just incredible how your thought process appears to work. Normal function human beings would then become cautious with this, but you apparently now think you are bulletproof instead. They say God takes care of babies and fools. We can see which you are.

Imagine someone was walking on the side of the road, and almost gets hit by a car. Most people would then stick to the sidewalk, look both ways before crossing and practice caution. You are the person who then proceeds to jaywalk in the middle of the street instead, thinking that you cant get hit.

The final thing I would say to you and those like you regards the bolded portion. You like to say "everyone is responsible for their decisions and their health" but thats a bunch of BS. Because the moment you get sick, you will ALL run down to the hospital, and scream and demand that the doctors and nurses now risk THEIR health to save you or your family member from the results of your stupidity.

If you anti maskers were REALLY serious, you would all sign a waiver form that states that if you get covid 19, you will NOT go to the hospital, since you are "responsible for your own health"...I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
No point in getting worked up about it because the only thing you can do is what you personally have the power to change.

Well see in 4-6 weeks if this set us back or if it didnt.

This whole thing has become too political and the media outlets have picked sides. If you turn on MSNBC or CNN they will cater to one side of the argument and Fox and the conservative outlets to the other.

American seems to be divided into two camps: 1) no restrictions period, 2) shut everything down. The number of people trying to thread the needle seems small in comparison.

Im for reopening everything but I would have kept the mask mandate. I dont think Abbotts intentions are somehow pure or based on anything other than playing politics, but I still agree with some of this.

But I also get that people have flushed critical thinking down the toilet. New York has the highest per capita new case rate with a large number of restrictions on social distancing and masks. Missouri has one of the lowest and has no restrictions at all. On the flip side California has low case rates and heavy restrictions and South Carolina has high case rates and no restrictions. Why? Everyone gets emotional but no one wants to dive into the real world data because theyve all picked a side and nothing will change any minds. That goes for the pro-restriction and no restriction crowds. What I do think the real world data shows is that what works and what doesnt is way more complicated than anyone wants to consider.

Should the goal be to keep people from getting the virus? I honestly dont think it should because this virus is never going to leave us. Its here for good. The goal should be finding a way to live with it. Vaccines and therapeutics will obviously be key, but how long do we wait for them to catch up?

I see both sides of this and will not firmly plant myself on one side. The economic and psychological as well as the health aspect are all appalling. Abandoning one to save the other isnt any kind of solution.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 03-03-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,408,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
[/b]

If you anti maskers were REALLY serious, you would all sign a waiver form that states that if you get covid 19, you will NOT go to the hospital, since you are "responsible for your own health"...I'm not holding my breath on that one.

While I know this will never happen, this is a wonderful idea.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:16 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,408,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This whole thing has become too political and the media outlets have picked sides. If you turn on MSNBC or CNN they will cater to one side of the argument and Fox and the conservative outlets to the other.
You are right there are 2 camps....the one based on science and the one from Fox News.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
I would have opened things up 100%. Dropped the mask mandate for everyone except Dallas and Houston since they apparently can't behave themselves.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:23 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You are right there are 2 camps....the one based on science and the one from Fox News.
My opinion of Fox News isnt any better than yours but CNN and MSNBC shouldnt exactly win any awards for their coverage of this either. They pander just as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I would have opened things up 100%. Dropped the mask mandate for everyone except Dallas and Houston since they apparently can't behave themselves.
Why? Dallas and Houston are far from the worst affected cities in the state per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas