Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 07:36 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me for coming across as a Nervous Nelly, but I live in Maryland and all I know about what's going on in Texas is what I hear on the news. And what I'm hearing is that there's been a massive influx of illegal migrants crossing the border. My purpose is not to debate this topic, but rather to ask, is it safe for a run-of-the-mill tourist to visit these areas?

I'm planning on spending some time in Texas this coming summer. I've only been to the state a few times, and now I want to really explore it from one end to the other. Among the areas I'm thinking of visiting are El Paso, Laredo, and Brownsville. Of course, all of these cities adjoin the border. Given the current situation (and I have no idea how accurate or blown out of proportion the news stories are), would it be OK for me to visit these cities? Or should I leave them off my itinerary?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 08:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Why do you want to go to a border town? Laredo and Brownsville have very little of interest to a tourist/visitor. If you want to visit Texas and feel like you are in Mexico, go to San Antonio’s El Mercado. You can buy the same souvenirs you’d buy in Mexico and you don’t need to bother with a passport.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
You have no reason to feel unsafe on the U.S. side. It's only going across the river that it becomes an issue.

As ChristieP says, there's not a lot that's immediately compelling about border towns (apart from perhaps El Paso) as an average tourist. If you're interested in cultural dynamics, they're kind of interesting in how their older areas / downtowns are still very tied to daily cross-border flows. Also, in Laredo's case at least, how the layout of downtown reflects the original Spanish colonization and subsequent Mexican period. But I can't say a typical tourist would be attracted to this.

Perhaps the most interesting things tourism-wise about the border lies outside the cities in some of the natural areas. There are major nature reserves for birds and butterflies near Brownsville, and a couple of notable fishing reservoirs. And of course, the Big Bend area, by far the most compelling portion of the border, but very isolated (as in 4+ hour drive) from a city of any size.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:15 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Why do you want to go to a border town? Laredo and Brownsville have very little of interest to a tourist/visitor. If you want to visit Texas and feel like you are in Mexico, go to San Antonio’s El Mercado. You can buy the same souvenirs you’d buy in Mexico and you don’t need to bother with a passport.
Your question is perfectly reasonable, and I'm going to give you an answer that will probably sound silly, but it's the absolute truth. One of the reasons (not the only one) for me to visit Texas is because I am pursuing a goal of driving the entirety of the interstate highway system. Thus, I'll need to visit El Paso (I-10), Laredo (I-35 and I-69W), McAllen (I-2 and I-69C), and Brownsville (I-69E). I don't expect Laredo and Brownsville to be the scenic highlights of my visit, but if I am to accomplish my goal, I'll need to go to those places, sooner or later. (I know that I-2 and I-69 are not completed, so I may defer those locations to some future time.) Not to worry, I'm also planning on visiting more tourist-friendly spots as well.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Haven't been there in a while, but South Padre was a decent beach close to Brownsville. It makes sense to see it if you're already in Brownsville. I heard there is a Sabal Palm reserve that is right on the border. Also heard McAllen was a little nicer to visit than Brownsville.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Illegal immigrants aren't a cause of concern for the casual traveler. The cause of concern is the drug trade. It's mostly on the Mexico side.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:00 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Do you plan to cross the border and visit Mexico?
I think the safest border town and crossing is in Progreso.
A nice little town with virtually no crime.
Nuevo Progreso feels very safe too.

I occasionally drive there to do shopping, dining and get pampered and never had any problems.

Last edited by elnina; 03-15-2021 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 09:06 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Be careful that you don't accidentally drive into Mexico. This has happened many times and people have been jailed for having items that Mexico declared contraband in their car, or detained because they do not have a passport to return to the USA. Some of the roads that approach the International Bridges to Mexico do not have a place to turn around.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:23 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
I am a native El Pasoan. I haven't been to Juarez in over 10-12 years. No need to go and nothing that is interesting over there IMHO. Also, you would need a passport to get in and come back. As far as illegals, stay on this side of the river and you will be fine. Downtown ELP is changing for the better and you can see a lot of interesting venues there. Unfortunately, with Covid , some are not open but driving around will give you an idea.

I also would be careful about accidently getting into Mexico as they are doing major construction from I-10 to I-110 (US 54) into Juarez and make sure that you don't accidently get dumped into there.

It is sad as in the "good old days" , we would take relatives and eat and shop over there for entertainment. However, now it is not worth it unless you are a businessman and work over there. El Paso is safe and doesn't have the crime and violence that Juarez has experienced.

I would also recommend San Antonio as you will get the "Mexico Experience" without the hassles. Granted, it is a tourist trap and doesn't interest me but you will find it pleasant and free of hassles.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
The border towns on the US side are very safe. You dont have to worry.

Hell, I know people who have moved from Houston to Laredo because they though it was safer.

The border towns on the Mexico side are VERY dangerous.

Stay on the US side and youre fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas