Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2006, 01:29 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,960 times

Advertisements

O.K. So this is our first 4th here in the Lone Star State! So fun! My husband came home from work and said, "Honey, I think the only restricted firepower in this state is a hand grenade... or not." Needless to say, my boys (husband to) are very excited to experience this great American holiday in our new home state. Texas' just gives off an aura of freedom and independence. Perfect for this day! Thanks TX! Happy 4th of July!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 03:04 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,992 times
Hey, for us who are on our way to Texas soon, thanks for saying that. It makes me feel good to hear things like this.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM

74 posts, read 291,431 times
Default Fireworks!

I agree. My wife and I stay in Conroe. We watched the fireworks that were shot over the Lake. We laughed on the way home, as we drove down highway 105 and noticed private individuals shooting fireworks almost as spectacular as the display we had just watched. Texas truly believes in doing things BIG!

Peace
Live long and Prosper!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 AM

How wonderful! We DID have a fabulous 4th here on our little TX mountain. We gave I20 and all those truckers and weary traveler's a nice festive show, then we took the kids for a "midnight" swim under the twinkling TX stars! Very American! I'll have to look for Conroe on the map... I'm still 9 months new here in these parts. And, hello again Bound for Texas... sorry I didn't mail the storm shelter pics... I'll get to it ASAP. I think you'll love it here! God Bless America my home sweet home...

Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM

21 posts, read 200,433 times
Default Fireworks in Texas

The following is a copy of a letter sent to my Texas representatives.....Our rainfall here has totaled 2.60 inches including this rain on the 4th.............

Only due to a miracle of 6/10s inch of rain at 8PM last night was the danger of fire alleviated. My home and life was preserved. This is a very unpleasant way to live and seems very unfair. No amount of personal pleading on private citizens parts can restrain those who either with evil intent or simply through drunkeness or carelessness wish to endanger our communities.

This is one more plea, and it will not be the last, to you who represent me in the State of Texas to join me in advocating the complete ban of the sale and private use of fireworks in our state. This protection has been granted to people in other states. Surely Texas can do as much. Citizens who own rural property and do not have insurance due either to it being unattainable or unaffordable should not be subject to the fickleness of the weather and the monthly or in some cases hourly political scene.

Our rural population is growing each year and many of us are entering our senior years....we cannot run, climb and fight fires very efficiently. Due to our increasingly divergent population, and their many holidays, this danger will soon be happening many times each year, not only on the 4th and New Years. Our local fireworks vendor openly, in our newspaper, advocated that people in Midland county break the law and shoot them anyway. He also advised us on television that it is legal to shoot them 365 days a year in Texas.

Please let your moral compass be your guide and let us work to get these banned....if not in January, then as soon as you can get the bills passed. Please present this plea to your cohorts in the legislature and work diligently.

Many Thanks

caprockvista

Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprockvista
The following is a copy of a letter sent to my Texas representatives.....Our rainfall here has totaled 2.60 inches including this rain on the 4th.............

Only due to a miracle of 6/10s inch of rain at 8PM last night was the danger of fire alleviated. My home and life was preserved. This is a very unpleasant way to live and seems very unfair. No amount of personal pleading on private citizens parts can restrain those who either with evil intent or simply through drunkeness or carelessness wish to endanger our communities.

This is one more plea, and it will not be the last, to you who represent me in the State of Texas to join me in advocating the complete ban of the sale and private use of fireworks in our state. This protection has been granted to people in other states. Surely Texas can do as much. Citizens who own rural property and do not have insurance due either to it being unattainable or unaffordable should not be subject to the fickleness of the weather and the monthly or in some cases hourly political scene.

Our rural population is growing each year and many of us are entering our senior years....we cannot run, climb and fight fires very efficiently. Due to our increasingly divergent population, and their many holidays, this danger will soon be happening many times each year, not only on the 4th and New Years. Our local fireworks vendor openly, in our newspaper, advocated that people in Midland county break the law and shoot them anyway. He also advised us on television that it is legal to shoot them 365 days a year in Texas.

Please let your moral compass be your guide and let us work to get these banned....if not in January, then as soon as you can get the bills passed. Please present this plea to your cohorts in the legislature and work diligently.

Many Thanks

caprockvista
I certainly wasn't coming from that angle. I appreciate your situation more than you know, as my parents are getting on in age and feel very vulnerable. They live in FL and have some resistance to visiting us here due to the fire danger. Just so you know, we were VERY careful and not only did it rain here in the AM, but it also rained the next morning. We have small children, so our firework display was very controlled. I'm afraid I know very little of what you are referring. I am sorry for seeming ignorant. I guess I never thought of the Fourth of July without fireworks and Texas seemed so fun! I'll check further into your plea. Thanks for responding. If I may add. with so many little children, the fire danger here is very real to me. This Christmas, our "neighbors" left their lights on ALL NIGHT. It was extremely dry outside and being that we were new here, I stayed quiet. I commend you for speaking up and reassure you that you have given me some pause for thought. Good luck on your mission. We could have had just as great of a time without fireworks! Really!

Last edited by pioneer8; 07-06-2006 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8 View Post
I certainly wasn't coming from that angle. I appreciate your situation more than you know, as my parents are getting on in age and feel very vulnerable. They live in FL and have some resistance to visiting us here due to the fire danger. Just so you know, we were VERY careful and not only did it rain here in the AM, but it also rained the next morning. We have small children, so our firework display was very controlled. I'm afraid I know very little of what you are referring. I am sorry for seeming ignorant. I guess I never thought of the Fourth of July without fireworks and Texas seemed so fun! I'll check further into your plea. Thanks for responding. If I may add. with so many little children, the fire danger here is very real to me. This Christmas, our "neighbors" left their lights on ALL NIGHT. It was extremely dry outside and being that we were new here, I stayed quiet. I commend you for speaking up and reassure you that you have given me some pause for thought. Good luck on your mission. We could have had just as great of a time without fireworks! Really!
Remember that liberty can be quickly lost and very hard and long to get back. Just because people at or over the age of 62 make poor drivers and and add to the cost of younger drivers cost per ins quotes., is no reason to ban driver lic to the elderly, but instead base any needed corr action to each case. The American Way. Zig

Old 12-31-2006, 11:50 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
pioneer, i love your appreciation for Texas. i REALLY learned to appreciate being here after being misplaced in Georgia for the past 3 years. i moved back in October, and i am BLESSED to be back in the Lonestar State..no place like it! happy new year!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks... I've always been eager to travel, but my time here is seriously causing me to reconsider another move. I am sort of "falling in love" I suppose. Were you from TX originally? Why GA and what was wrong for you there? I hope I don't sound too invasive... It's just my husband's job has the potential to take us many places, so I love to find out about what people have experienced other places... What they liked... What they didn't... We moved from FL to TX and just visited family in FL before the holidays. It only strengthened my positive feelings about the Lone Star State... I only dream of a few other things which I don't have here (like a bit more snow)... Sometimes though, we must be careful of what we wish for- Right? Right. Whelp, we'll see. Thank you again and glad you're right where you love!

Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
The Desrt Southwest is a no Firework zone. Like El Paso, ok yeah you can make a trip over the stateline to New Mexico.. but get caught in El Paso with them and expect a huge fine.

Pioneer what part of Texas are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas