Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,206 times

Advertisements

I am not sure where to start, I have never done this before. I am 38 years old and since I was 16 I have been fighting the constant battle with Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, I live in Minnesota and I notice that my pain is way worse in the late winter early spring and Like this year I have fallen twice. I am trying to convince my husband to move to where it is warmer and he has said Texas but now he is scared for this big move as we have both lived here in MN our whole lives and he is scared of snakes. We have 4 animals and no kids so any moving advice I can get would be great, Like how to talk my husband into moving. is this the right move? Where near Dallas is good places to live and what are things a Minnesotan should know about texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 10:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
I would worry about finding a job first before you worry about finding a place to live in Dallas because you could get stuck with a bad commute.Also, what is your budget for housing?

Old 03-10-2021, 07:19 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,069,120 times
Why did you choose Dallas? Will your husband be able to get a job there? I would not worry about the snakes, I have lived here 16 years and I have seen one rat snake , two baby rattlers. Rat snakes are harmless. Take your dogs outside or sit with them, they will be fine. If you have a fenced back yard that would be the best.

Do you intend on buying or renting? It’s harder to rent with 4 pets.

I have arthritis and it’s better in a warmer climate than the cold. We have good healthcare so you will be fine there.

If buying what is your budget? Does your husband work remote? This will determine where to live, you want to live as close to work as possible cuts down on horrible traffic.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:54 AM

738 posts, read 766,445 times
Saw a garter snake in my yard as a kid once other than that never seen a snake in a city. Only ones I've ever even heard about were water moccasins from creeks. Only heard about them because they are incredibly rare. Snakes in the city just really aren't a thing. If he is really worried just don't live within a block of a marshy area(again not hard in Texas).

Old 04-17-2021, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Ah, a snake thread - LOL.

That would be something I wouldn't even worry about - I rarely see a snake and I think I've only seen 1 poisonous snake (near a creek) in all the 29 years I've lived in Texas. I find about 1 grass snake a year on my property and have never seen a poisonous snake on my property.

I have also had very few "run ins" with any insects, since we're talking about pests. About three times a year I'll find a small spider in my house. Sorry but I kill it - if any critter gets in my house, it's probably going to die. On one property (in 29 years) I had a mosquito issue because I lived hear a creek and when I moved to the house it had a lot of ground cover (I took care of that too) and too many trees in the back yard. So I sprayed for mosquitos and cut down some trees and pulled up the ground cover and after that, voila, no more mosquitos.

OP what's your budget and do you plan to rent or buy? And why did you decide on the Dallas area?

Old 04-17-2021, 09:59 AM

111 posts, read 91,058 times
hey there, I would recommend looking for a job here first (unless you guys can work remotely). Also recommend har.com for looking for properties in TX, much better than zillow, or realtor.com or what have you. If you find Dallas's housing market is crazy right now because a lot of people come here to WFH, you might consider other/smaller cities. I highly recommend you visit here in August to get a feel of what you're getting into. Can't comment on snakes in Dallas but here in Houston, for the last 7 years I lived in this particular house, I've had to remove a snake or two from the pool or pool skimmer every summer. If you keep your lawn neatly trimmed, bushes not too out of control, they won't settle down in your backyard. They usually scurry away once they see you. They're very shy creatures.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Why do you say that har.com is better than realtor.com? Just curious.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:38 PM

738 posts, read 766,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The local MLS is always better if you have access since everyone else generally grabs info from it and updates at intervals. MLS has a listing as soon as it's listed.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 AM

111 posts, read 91,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The layout is easier to see all the parameters in a clear way. It also show how many days things are on the market before they go into pending, not sure if that’s easy to see on other sites. It’s also really easy to register an account, set up a search for very specific criteria, then save the search. You can save the properties you like with notes.
I use realtor.com to get the history and estimated value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas