Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Reporting back to say hubby didn't like it much. But he finished the six pack over the weekend! Didn't want to waste beer, I guess.
You had me laughing out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times
Shiner Black nutty/piquant huh? Gonna look for it and try it soon. When I want black, though, I'm talking about Guinness Draught -black. But not the extra-stout... which is a little too stout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I'd like to try Shiner blond, though.
Trust me, you're not missing very much. Shiner Blond is bland and unremarkable, not bad ... perhaps nearly 1 step above Budwesier IMO. The same folks (usually Texans) who rave about it would likely say that Bud Light is a "good" beer.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 243,988 times
Shiner Bock

if the keg is fresh.....

Old 05-24-2008, 02:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,087,713 times
blueskies49: Ziegenbock is a nice mild-flavored beer, made by Anheuser-Busch if I'm not mistaken. Shiner Hefeweizen has more character, IMO. Go ahead and try Shiner Blond, it's nice. I like Shiner Bock a bit more.

I haven't tried Shiner Black yet, it sounds interesting!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 AM

340 posts, read 1,441,651 times
Default I miss my beer!

I agree with tstone.I just moved here from Oregon and the thing I miss the most is a good beer.I've tried all the Shiners and others but to get a good stout or porter I have to go to the World Market and "pay" to get a real beer.I think I'll go back to brewing my own again.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times
Glad someone knows where I'm coming from. If you're in Houston you can visit Specs liquor stores

SPEC's Liquors Online: Wines, Spirits, Cigars and Finer Foods - and it looks like you can do an online order.

They are close to almost everyone in town, and they sell everything you can think of... except for Kokanee. Not sure if you can get that in OR but the Gold variety is some pretty decent stuff outta BC. Never seen Kokanee in Texas, but had plenty when I visited Calgary. Also our Kroger Signature grocery stores have a good selection including Broken Halo and Bridgeport IPA's. And Dogfish Head 60 minute. And a lot of other good stuff sectioned on one half of the aisle, and the other half starts Michelob to your usual Bud and Miller down to the Busch and eventually OE 800 and Mickeys grenades.

But you can't fault us Texans for our overall taste in beer. It's hot weather down here. Cold weather beers from the NW or NE (or the UK) are tough to handle when you're outdoors on a hot day. Drink about 4 bottles of the "good" stuff @ a summer BBQ and you're liable to fall over dehydrated. Drink 4 cans of the usual light swill and you're simply staying hydrated.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
Boy, can I relate to that Hubby bought some Fireman's blonde Ale (Real Ale) to drink at the Lake, but alas, I killed the rudder, so we didn't get very far Guess I'll try one here in a minute to drown my embarrassment and tell ya'll if it's any good.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,331,544 times
Has anyone ever tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat ale? I like it...my new favorite beer.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
But you can't fault us Texans for our overall taste in beer. It's hot weather down here. Cold weather beers from the NW or NE (or the UK) are tough to handle when you're outdoors on a hot day. Drink about 4 bottles of the "good" stuff @ a summer BBQ and you're liable to fall over dehydrated. Drink 4 cans of the usual light swill and you're simply staying hydrated.

You pegged it exactly right, Tstone. I ain't braggin -- because for one thing, there is nothing to brag about! LOL -- but on a hot summer Texas afternoon outside fishin' or smokin' hotlinks or brisket or fryin' catfish and hushpuppies, I can kill off a six pack of the "light" type beer within an hour or so and never even feel it, and then break open another to chase the first!

BUT...as you say...with the NW or NE stuff? I would fall over into the damn fire after about two or three! LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,087,713 times
tstone: Exactly right! If you're hot and thirsty, especially out in the sun, a Coors is a lot better than a more substantial brew. A heavy dark variety isn't going to work too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas