Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 09:12 AM

193 posts, read 97,425 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I know the housing market is tight right now but when I went to see an apt.
that was for senior citizens only, during the interview I was told I needed to provide my divorce papers from 18 years ago. When I told the woman my ex was deceased she said I also needed to provide his death certificate! He died 4 years ago. We had no contact since the divorce. What's going on here? I refused her requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 10:37 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
That's very odd. All they should be concerned about is you since you're the person who would be occupying the unit.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:42 AM

I can understand the need for the divorce papers in order to see if I had been given a large sum of money that was hidden but his death certificate? I don't understand the need to see that.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,705,405 times
Maybe offer your tax return to show you file as single and what your income is.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:53 PM

My only income is Social Security and it is not taxed in Texas, so I don't file a tax return.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM

729 posts, read 523,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
My only income is Social Security and it is not taxed in Texas, so I don't file a tax return.
This is just a wild guess here. The question about divorce papers and death certificates and tax returns may be asked to get a better handle on your true monthly income which from their mind you are not fully disclosing. Many places have an unwritten rule to themselves that your monthly income should be at least three times the rent. From their point of view, even if your SS covers your monthly rent, they may be concerned about what happens if you get hospitalized, or have some other emergency. Will the rent and utilities still be paid? If I am way off base, then just ignore me.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 AM

The apartments are income and age restricted. You cannot have an income higher than a certain amount and you must be 55 years old or older. They get tax credits for renting to that specific population. For residents, their next home will be either the nursing home or the funeral home. Though I qualify, I am now on a short waiting list for an apartment where I'll be paying fair market rent and living among people of all ages. Normal. Hooray!

Old 04-24-2021, 12:32 PM

738 posts, read 752,945 times
Call your cities fair housing hotline. May be embedded in the community development office. Or call legal aid. This is weird. If you want to play the game death certificates you should be able to get from the county health district or the city secretaries office depending on who keeps vital records. In either case those departments will know who keeps them if you call asking.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:53 PM

My ex was apparently involved in illegal activities, I'm thinking maybe money laundering. Though we had no contact, years after our divorce I woke up one morning to find that my SS check had been cut in half. No warning. When I called SS someone picked up immediately. The man and I had a nice talk, and he said he would return the money but take it away the following month. He said the International Payment Office in Baltimore was slow and there was no way to contact them. I just had to wait.

What saved me was being a prepper, I weathered the decrease ok and my landlord was understanding. My bank was contacted and I knew my apartment was being watched. They must have been bored out of their minds.

A year or so after that SS sent me a condolence letter, my ex had died and my benefit was going up. They told me his date of death but nothing else.

Since he had been establishing a new life with a new wife in the Philippines and was in poor health, I figured he had died there.

I never could get any more details. He and his wife ceased to exist online. We are divorced and his life/actions no longer affect me, or so I thought.

So, having a rental agent demand proof about my past life is weird. She specifically asked if I was married and when I told her I was divorced she told me she needed those 2 documents.

I don't think I even have the divorce papers, why would I keep them? He died 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: