Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:11 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times

Advertisements

I had the misfortune of driving southbound through Waco late yesterday afternoon. Driven through there both directions probably a dozen times in the last couple years with no trouble, so sitting still gave me time to look around. The way they have the traffic rerouted for construction looks suspiciously like it could be for Express lanes??

Also curious as to why the speed limit drops to 65 MPH through Temple (maybe all of Bell County?) on 4 lanes of newish interstate in both directions?? People see this as only a 'suggestion' since traffic flow is still well over 70... but really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Here is a summary of the project: My35: Project 4B - Waco North from 12th St. to N. Loop 340

According to TX-DOT:

Quote:
Purpose
This project will improve I-35 in Waco from 12th Street to N. Loop 340 by:

Widening mainlanes to 4 lanes in each direction.
Improving frontage roads and ramps.
Reconstructing bridges and improve interchanges.
Adding U-turns.
Improving bicycle and pedestrian access.
The construction cost for this project is $341 million and the contractor is Webber, LLC.
I think the most expensive and complicated part of the project is the new wider mainline bridges across the Brazos. You can't expand those one lane at a time like on land. You have to tear the old bridge down and replace it with a new one.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:38 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
When is the projected completion date?

Old 04-26-2021, 03:41 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I drive to Dallas every month. The construction delays is a nightmare. Waze usually redirects me to side roads, save my time.
The $341 million project to overhaul a 6.7-mile stretch of the highway through Waco started in April 2019 and is scheduled to conclude in 2023
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt...a82a2afe4.html

Use this map for live update on crashes and delays.
https://waco4bmap.org/#map
(Right now it's almost all green - hard to believe, but on the cams the traffic looks really good )

https://www.navbug.com/traffic_condi...ear_temple.htm

Last edited by elnina; 04-26-2021 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 03:41 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
They’ve been working on that ever since I moved here 3 years ago. They’ve made some adjustments recently and it looks like some of it has made a bit of progress but it’s a pain driving through that work zone. I think they still have a good ways to go. It looks like they will need to shift NB traffic to the SB lanes then replace all of the NB overpasses.

It was much worse pre-Covid. I used to have to get off and completely bypass Waco but now it’s tolerable comparatively.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:25 PM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I had the misfortune of driving southbound through Waco late yesterday afternoon. Driven through there both directions probably a dozen times in the last couple years with no trouble, so sitting still gave me time to look around. The way they have the traffic rerouted for construction looks suspiciously like it could be for Express lanes??

Also curious as to why the speed limit drops to 65 MPH through Temple (maybe all of Bell County?) on 4 lanes of newish interstate in both directions?? People see this as only a 'suggestion' since traffic flow is still well over 70... but really?
If you went through Waco on 35 a dozen times the last couple years with no problems you are the luckiest driver I have ever heard of. It's always awful when I go through it.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:04 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
If you went through Waco on 35 a dozen times the last couple years with no problems you are the luckiest driver I have ever heard of. It's always awful when I go through it.
This. I-35 between Austin and Dallas has been a nightmare for at least 15-20 years. It helps a lot to use a GPS navigation, which will occasionally have you take the access road to skip an inevitable traffic jam..

Old 04-28-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
This. I-35 between Austin and Dallas has been a nightmare for at least 15-20 years. It helps a lot to use a GPS navigation, which will occasionally have you take the access road to skip an inevitable traffic jam..
More recently it’s gotten better especially since all the road work in Temple is done but Waco is a snag. My next least favorite areas are the construction zones along 35E, especially the Waxahachie obstacle course. 35E between loop 12 and Trinity River is another obstacle course.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:59 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They’ve been working on that ever since I moved here 3 years ago. They’ve made some adjustments recently and it looks like some of it has made a bit of progress but it’s a pain driving through that work zone. I think they still have a good ways to go. It looks like they will need to shift NB traffic to the SB lanes then replace all of the NB overpasses.

It was much worse pre-Covid. I used to have to get off and completely bypass Waco but now it’s tolerable comparatively.
As posted before, construction and reconstruction of I-35 has never stopped in the 62 years I’ve been here.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
As posted before, construction and reconstruction of I-35 has never stopped in the 62 years I’ve been here.
The section between Waco and Hillsboro where the split is needs to be 4 lanes each way now. That stretch gets packed, especially during weekends or holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas