Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:13 PM

67 posts, read 324,812 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
I am moving to Texas,but I don't know which town to move to.I really need help.I will tell you all a little about myself so that you can assist me.

I was born in California and I now live in Chicago.The housing prices are crazy in both of these places so I thought about moving to Arizona,Nevada,or Texas.I have visited Arizona and that's off the list because I got attacked by a snake.I will be in Nevada next month and my cousin out there will show me around. I will be in Texas in July.I plan on fliying in to Dallas and driving to Austin and Houston.In order to save myself some time I am here for reccomendations.I only have 1 week to explore.This is what I desire from a city.

1.Safety
2.Good schools
3.Good club/bar scene
4.resonable Home prices
5.plenty of CULTURAL activities
6.away from tornadoes(if possible)
7Beautiful scenery(if possible)

I want to be able to go running at 5 A.M. and feel safe.
I want to be near the city,but not in the city.
Oh yes,I REALLY want a culturally diverse are.My kids are mixed and I want to enjoy all of the great races that we have in this country.

So,which major city has the most of what I want?I am asking so that I can spend more time in that city..Thanks.

Last edited by cuteazz1; 05-11-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
YOu don't mention the most important thing....do you already have a job?

Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
You could very well get attacked by a snake in Texas too.

The potential of tornadoes is prevalent in most of Texas.

Beautiful scenery is all in the eye of the beholder. Texas isn't beautiful, but there are some pretty areas. In my opinion, the Austin area is prettier than Dallas or Houston.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
YOu don't mention the most important thing....do you already have a job?

I work at a college now,but I also have a nursing degree.
I plan on leaving the college soon to work at my website full time,so once in Texas I will be working from home...If I need to I will work as a nurse also.Thanks.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You could very well get attacked by a snake in Texas too.

The potential of tornadoes is prevalent in most of Texas.

Beautiful scenery is all in the eye of the beholder. Texas isn't beautiful, but there are some pretty areas. In my opinion, the Austin area is prettier than Dallas or Houston.
O.K. When I went to Phoenix my friend had me shake out my towels and shoes all day.Is the Texas snake problem just as bad?I used to go hiking quite a bit so I'm not terrified of snakes,I just don't know if I would remember to shake out everything all day.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:06 PM

O.K. I don't know much about Tornadoes.Are they occasional like earthquakes in CAli?

Do you have to have special insurance on your home?

My assumption is that if you live in or near a big city that the tornado will not affect you as much because of the buildings.Is this correct?

Sorry if these are silly questions,but I don't know much about tornadoes or Texas.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
No, you don't have to shake out your towels and shoes and such to avoid snakes. At least, I don't, and I live on 55 acres out in the country. Of course, I have 7 cats and a blue heeler and chickens, so that may have something to do with it.

Tornadoes are rare (says she who lives where an F5 came through town almost exactly 11 years ago), but they do happen. As for the assumption about cities, ask Atlanta or Oklahoma City.

No, you don't have to have special tornado insurance. (Not sure it even exists, frankly.)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I guess I'm concerned and confused because you say you're moving to Texas but you don't have a regular job lined up and don't seem to know much about our state.

Yes, there are snakes here and you have to take precautions. It's always a good idea to check one's clothes and shoes for scorpions and black widow spiders. (I found one hiding in the "pocket" of a fitted sheet I had hanging out to dry!) Yes, we have tornados -- some parts of the state are in "Tornado Alley." I find West Texas' vast rocky landscape pretty -- some won't. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Definitely come for a visit but do some real research first! The "Places Rated" guides are a good place to start. With a state this big, you should have done some research and have a good idea what areas you're interested in so you can spend your week fruitfully and not simply hitting the metro areas. Above all, actively search for job openings in your field! That should be a primary consideration as to where you move! I honestly can't recommend that anyone move before securing a job, especially in this economy.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
O.K. When I went to Phoenix my friend had me shake out my towels and shoes all day.Is the Texas snake problem just as bad?I used to go hiking quite a bit so I'm not terrified of snakes,I just don't know if I would remember to shake out everything all day.
I don't believe the snakes are as bad in the areas of Texas of which you speak as in AZ. I would think way west Texas may be similar to Arizona. Be sure to shake out your shoes, towels, and clothes for scopions though. One doesn't have to be obsessive about it, but they are around as well.

Also, watch out for the brown recluse spider. They are very dangerous, but that is something I just don't worry about. Spiders and snakes, oh well. Now tornadoes and severe storms in general, that's another story in my estimation.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 05-11-2008 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
O.K. I don't know much about Tornadoes.Are they occasional like earthquakes in CAli?

Do you have to have special insurance on your home?

My assumption is that if you live in or near a big city that the tornado will not affect you as much because of the buildings.Is this correct?

Sorry if these are silly questions,but I don't know much about tornadoes or Texas.
I lived in CA for 30 years and from experience, I can tell you that the threat of earthquakes is nothing like the threat of tornadoes. I will take earthquake country any day to this, but that's just me. In all those years, I was in two earthquakes, one in 1952 that I don't remember and one in 1971. I never even felt a tremor until I was 16 which was in 1964. Since living in Texas, I often have to head to my storm cellar for safety and before I got that put in, it was the bathtub, hall, or closet. I can't even count how many times that has happened. Even straight-line thunderstorm winds can be dangerous.

Tornadoes can form from any severe thunderstorm so that alone is nerve wracking. They are very much more than occasional as compared to earthquakes. Texas has a lot of tornadoes, but that doesn't mean one will hit you where you live.

If you live in a big city and a strong tornado hits, it would be extremely devastating. Buildings don't protect one from tornadoes and either do mountains or in the case of Texas, a few hills. Tornadoes form from very hot and humid air meeting dry and cooler/cold air and they show no mercy when they hit.

The only special insurance one needs on his or her home in Texas is flood, and it is very expensive. All other acts of God are covered as far as I'm aware. Flooding is prevalent in parts of Texas too, so be sure to check thoroughly into that before finding a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas