Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

I don't care much one way or the other. When I was growing up, students often had a gun rack with a rifle in it parked in the school parking lot, because they'd been hunting that weekend.

I do believe that people should be trained before they carry a gun around but the training to get a LTC is a joke so there's that.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
I actually dont care. I just wish Texas was more libertarian on other issues as well.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:10 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Saw a lot of open carry yesterday. Those displaying their BIG guns did not appear too conscientious they had an easy access weapon available for someone a whole lot quicker, stronger, (and smarter) than themselves.

Was the talk of the Texas Memorial Day celebrations today.
An 87 yr old granny was really pumped she would be using open carry at HEB, "No more empty shelves for her!!! she plans to make certain she gets her products!" Her 92 YO husband was polishing up his powder powered sidearm. He knows how to use it... but can he secure it from others, who also know how (and want) to use it?

Expect some unanticipated altercations and deaths (and maimes). And a quite a few 'Save-the-day' gone wrong.

A good lot of people are not superbly stable these days. (6 flights for me this week, some destinations have FAR more than a few nut-cases).

I remember the first week on my FT job @ age 15 when Shorty showed up fully armed (2 pistols + rifle) on Trigger and challenged Hank (the boss) to come out and settle their differences. Work would have been a huge improvement without Shorty and Hank. Thus we have thousands thinking the same today, each day. Not a comforting time to be a boss.

We had our hunting rifles in the rear window rack of our unlocked pickups at High School. Nobody got shot. No guns were stolen. But a lot of nearby geese and ducks met their end about 9-10 AM, Some students and teachers were apprehensive about that.

As a 60+ yr gun owner, I'm not too comfortable with who I see carrying, nor the news of quacks, nor the anger and mis-information, nor the groups on a mission. (?) Their mis-informed mission. Nor the USA stats on domestic violence. THE USA is not quite the society as Switzerland and Israel where I have lived and worked without fear of the heavily armed having a lapse of judgement.

I hope I'm wrong.

You'll be wrong. The same exact arguments and pleas to emotion were made about TX' CHL rollout. Big city police chiefs were against it......."we won't know who is carrying or not." CHL holder crime will be a problem because you know....."hotheads with guns." Didn't happen.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
I don't and didn't claim those with guns are the hotheads, (tho some are pretty 'classic' / unaware)

Some weapons may become accessible to those in close proximty who may be wacky and not able to legally obtain a weapon.

I don't expect carnage, just that additional disruption and risks are possible.

Texas will do what they think makes them look big. The rest of the world is well aware of that.

People will die, it's no big deal in Texas, or the USA (as has been demostrated time and again).

Old 06-01-2021, 10:43 AM

727 posts, read 304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't care much one way or the other. When I was growing up, students often had a gun rack with a rifle in it parked in the school parking lot, because they'd been hunting that weekend.

I do believe that people should be trained before they carry a gun around but the training to get a LTC is a joke so there's that.
Definitely, I fired 10 rounds and the Instructor passed me. I am retired LEO and prior military. He was telling me stories of people dropping the gun, shooting the ceiling, aiming the barrel at him. Can't make this stuff up.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:47 AM

727 posts, read 304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I don't and didn't claim those with guns are the hotheads, (tho some are pretty 'classic' / unaware)

Some weapons may become accessible to those in close proximty who may be wacky and not able to legally obtain a weapon.

I don't expect carnage, just that additional disruption and risks are possible.

Texas will do what they think makes them look big. The rest of the world is well aware of that.

People will die, it's no big deal in Texas, or the USA (as has been demostrated time and again).
I think you confusing obtaining a firearm and carrying a firearm. It's fairly easy to get a gun in Texas. Hell, I bought another one on Saturday and was in and out in 15 minutes.

Texas, USA isn't the only country with carnage. We have countries that still behead people in public and have public hangings. Yes, we have violence but so do other countries.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I think you confusing obtaining a firearm and carrying a firearm. It's fairly easy to get a gun in Texas. Hell, I bought another one on Saturday and was in and out in 15 minutes.

Texas, USA isn't the only country with carnage. We have countries that still behead people in public and have public hangings. Yes, we have violence but so do other countries.
At the end of the day you have to take the good with the bad.

If I could press a button and every gun in the world be vaporized, I would do it. But I cant do that and since America is so saturated with guns, I really dont think theres any point to gun control now. It would just give the gangs and cartels something else to traffic.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:03 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Definitely, I fired 10 rounds and the Instructor passed me. I am retired LEO and prior military. He was telling me stories of people dropping the gun, shooting the ceiling, aiming the barrel at him. Can't make this stuff up.
There's a video of CHL instructor blasting an AD into the ceiling, seems he may have been in CO.

Here it is. This clown is an instructor who makes at least three critical errors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKhOAqhXMhA

Old 06-01-2021, 11:33 AM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Now that it's going to be signed into legislature, how do you feel that people don't need a License to Carry anymore? I am very pro-2A however I see some downsides with this. What are your thoughts?
Its called "Constitutional" carry from a reason... downside or not.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:46 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I haven't looked deeply into what this is about but if it literally means any Texan can go out and buy a firearm without a background check just because we have a constitutional 'right' to a firearm, I'm heavily against it. There is a difference between a right and an entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas