Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 02:51 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The most asinine, uncaring, and totally GOP move
I'm sure that GOP can come up with something that will top this. Maybe Texas will setup Green power plants to power these miners. I have a miner that is setting up mining facility with guaranteed, low cost-Green Power, in a Red state too. Miners really don't bring much to any state or local municipality. And they don't leave anything in economic benefit.

Last edited by leastprime; 06-20-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 07:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Story on line today that some people with smart thermostats had their temps raised because they signed up for a chancery “win a prize” with some electric grid portal and the company remotely raised their settings during heat wave…

https://www.businessinsider.com/texa...ratures-2021-6

Business Insider sometimes needs subscription to access

Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 AM

61,708 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Story on line today that some people with smart thermostats had their temps raised because they signed up for a chancery “win a prize” with some electric grid portal and the company remotely raised their settings during heat wave…

https://www.businessinsider.com/texa...ratures-2021-6

Business Insider sometimes needs subscription to access

It just shows how many people sign stuff without reading, and then ...complain.

Per this article:
"Customers said they had unknowingly agreed to let companies raise the temperature to save energy."

This is not correct. It turns out they had enrolled their thermostats in an energy-conservation promotion called Smart Savers Texas, run by a company called EnergyHub, in partnership with power companies. The program gives EnergyHub permission to adjust participants' smart thermostats remotely during times of peak energy demand.

We have similar program from CPS here in San Antonio. People who agree to participate in energy saving program get a free WiFi thermostat. After 3 years, the thermostat is theirs and they have option to stop that program.
At any time, even during the first 3 years, they can manually override the adjustment.
People can also register their own eligible thermostat for rebates.
https://cpsenergy.com/smartthermostat
I participate in that program since 2003 and never felt any temperature changes and my Honeywell Smart Thermostat will generally keep my home temperature within a degree of the set point.

Last edited by elnina; 06-21-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It just shows how many people sign stuff without reading, and then ...complain.
But companies don’t make it easy to know the pertinent info in a multi page document
And they didn’t necessarily alert the people it happened to

I agree that 78 is uncomfortable but survivable
The idea is that with a “smart” thermostat which is connected to WiFi/internet you have basically opened a window into your home that can be exploited if your security is not aggressive
And most people’s is not

Old 06-21-2021, 09:21 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Cornyn and Eddie Bernice were lobbying for a federal bailout after the February debacle. Meanwhile, the state recently approved another $100 million in corporate welfare. Misplaced priorities much?

Old 06-21-2021, 09:45 AM

61,708 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
But companies don’t make it easy to know the pertinent info in a multi page document
And they didn’t necessarily alert the people it happened to

I agree that 78 is uncomfortable but survivable
The idea is that with a “smart” thermostat which is connected to WiFi/internet you have basically opened a window into your home that can be exploited if your security is not aggressive
And most people’s is not
Generally, if you are going to SIGN something, you better read what are you signing for.
I get email notifications that my thermostat is on saving mode. It's also clearly visible on the phone app.
The thermostat is hardwired to the Internet and password protected.
No smart thermostat maker has yet reported any breach in consumer data.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
We unexpectedly lost generation that powers over 2.4 million homes. This has been resolved and no one lost power.

FYI the power issues have occurred here in there over the last decade, but because of the winter storm everyone is on edge and acting irrational.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The issue to me, is this comes off as a flex when this should be a basic expectation.

"Oh! You have electric light? Vhat a country!"

We had a record breaking cold snap. I lost power for three hours. Hey, it happens - everywhere - once in awhile.

My point was that I didn't lose power for days nor did my ceiling cave in. And then I went on to add that also, none of my pool equipment was damaged.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Cornyn and Eddie Bernice were lobbying for a federal bailout after the February debacle. Meanwhile, the state recently approved another $100 million in corporate welfare. Misplaced priorities much?
All the time
And see how well Cornyn can pair up with a hated Dem when it suits his press

Old 06-22-2021, 08:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
All the time
And see how well Cornyn can pair up with a hated Dem when it suits his press
Cornyn isnt a bad guy. He has different views than I do, but I have some respect for the guy. Hes not self serving scum like Ted Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas