Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 12:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Ironside View Post
A lot of popular concealed carry pistols come with an external safety. Sig, S&W, Springfield Armory, so carrying with a round in the chamber (which is normal) should put peoples mind at ease who aren't that well versed in firearms.

Even if you carry with no round in the chamber (foolish), always treat your firearm as if there is a round in the chamber.

Get a reliable holster with a trigger guard, and practice drawing from the position, example, APEX, or hip.

I trained with the Israeli military where they don't have one in the chamber, they however are highly trained which is different for concealed and constitutional carry.

Personally, I always keep one in the chamber, no one is going to get my gun.
Well, gun safety goes well beyond drawing from the holster. I do not want to argue about the round in a chamber. Personally I am comfortable with it if it's in a revolver or double action pistol when the spring itself is not loaded. Recently I bought Ruger pistol, dirt cheap and pretty accurate. Surprisingly low recoil for a light pistol. Has all the safety features, but it's single action. I bought it without intention of carrying with the round in the chamber. Mostly for biking. When mountain lion attacks, you typically have plenty of time. Same thing with the dogs. But I would still prefer pepper spray for dogs.
Will see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I agree that gun safety is more in depth than drawing. With that being said, what's your gripe with a round in the chamber? As long as you exercise good trigger discipline and have a good holster where your shirt doesn't snag the only way the pistol will fire is if the trigger is engaged, that goes for double action, double single, etc. Rugers are good guns. After 2 decades of law enforcement sprinkled in with some military experience, you would be surprised how little time you do have. Put a round in the chamber. You'll be fine.
Thanks.
I see you have totally different background.
Law enforcement + military. You are used to that because of the job duty. It's totally different perspective. First of all, law enforcement professionals are supposed to be in those situations all the time.
But I am a civilian and first of all I rely on street smarts. I avoid being at a wrong place at a wrong time. Police officers have no choice, they have to be at wrong places all the time.
And for me carrying that round in a chamber means going through extra safety procedures every day like I am at a war. But I am not at war. For me as a civilian, firearm is optional, but not a requirement.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I most definitely see your perspective and I appreciate the conversation. Yes things are different in Law Enforcement and the military.

Off duty, most of the time, most people don't know your occupation. Carrying off duty and carrying as a civilian there is not really a difference in my opinion, you are carrying for self protection. When I was training with Israeli's not too long ago, we would do range exercises on drawing, racking the slide and putting rounds on target in a very short period of time. I respect their way of doing things, but taking the extra time to rack the slide is an un-necessary step. The goal of a firearm is to neutralize the target.
That's definitely something new to consider.
I would say, totally different mindset.
I might go back to the revolver.
With a revolver I have no concerns.
I love the new constitutional carry law, however not going to carry all the time because I am not in a warzone.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:32 PM

13 posts, read 5,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Are you excited about constitutional carry in Texas? Effective September 1, 2021.
Surprisingly I don't see any separate thread regarding this yet.

I'm kind of excited. More freedom in Texas!
Am I going to use my new constitutional right?
Probably not much. Just don't need on a regular basis. But sometimes, why not. I haven't seen any person openly carrying firearms, even though it's allowed. So I don't think the situation will change much overall. However, it is good to have this freedom.
I'm not....

1. People will now be able to carry a gun without a license meaning there will me more irresponsible people new to guns buying guns which in return will cause accidents that get more people hurt or killed. I mean that's why we get a drivers license to drive a vehicle right... TO BE RESPONSIBLE!!!

2. According to this website csmonitor, there is no evidence that permit lees carry will decrease crime and according to charts in Arizona and Alaska that had passed permit less carry, there has been an increase of aggravated assaults with a firearm https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...in-five-charts

3. People also will now be also able to carry guns in their hotel rooms in Texas which are the ingredients for disaster.

4. Even most Texans disagree with this with 64% saying no to permit less carry and 23% saying yes according to the DMN/UT Tyler March 2020 poll.

Our Texas politicians are not listening to Texans and are out of touch with Texans of what they are sent there to do...

Old 08-30-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
To buy you still have to go through the federal check. That may take up to several days.
How you don't know that? Federal check has nothing to do with permitless carry.

Do you know that currently you don't need license to have your firearm in a vehicle.
It can be loaded.

You don't need license to keep your gun in a boat or in tent while camping.
These are the things that didn't require license prior to this new constitutional carry bill.
1. That does not help much especially to new gun owners. There Federal Check will be cleared and still be irresponsible which is horrible and dangerous without a license.

2. Well it needs to be cause it will be a lot safer in Texas if it does. Probably even be less gun crime. Come on people we have to be responsible.

3. I did not know that and that is dangerous. Crime would be so much lower if people having guns in general were responsible by carrying a license.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:03 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
All this will do will increase the number of shootings. There will be more the 6th street shooting in Austin in June. Barfights are more likely to be bar shootouts, etc...

If you look at the murfer increase around the country, what's causing it is more stress + guns. People are having more altercations with each other and with more guns in circulation, more of these disputes turn violent than before. What I've been noticing from reporting is that domestic disputes and things like that are getting deadlier. Also more young people in gangs and they're fighting with each other more.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uretta View Post
Crime would be so much lower if people having guns in general were responsible by carrying a license.
So you are concerned only about law abiding citizen, but not criminals? Criminals don't need any license to carry. Any proposal what to do with criminals though?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
So you are concerned only about law abiding citizen, but not criminals? Criminals don't need any license to carry. Any proposal what to do with criminals though?
Yeah there should be more restrictions to close loopholes to keep guns out of criminals hands. Like the black market, gun dealers giving guns to criminals without doing a background check on them cause they are crooked. They should be prosecuted in the court of law.

But permit less carry will not reduce crime cause there is no evidence that is does.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:58 PM

If you want to defend yourself against criminals with a gun, just get a license. The Permitless carry law is dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uretta View Post
If you want to defend yourself against criminals with a gun, just get a license. The Permitless carry law is dangerous and irresponsible.
With the new law in place I don't need license in Texas. I need license if I want to travel out of state with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas