Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 03:22 PM

268 posts, read 180,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I am more excited about the fact that Texas is providing more freedom than any other states. Freedom itself matters more than the actual benefit of carrying gun.

Did you sleep through the whole Covid/mask/vaccination thingy?

Freedom is obviously less important to people than ever.

Sad...but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 03:32 PM

240 posts, read 209,485 times
I feel less free to pursue happiness since there’s virtually no place one can go to be free from the threat of gun violence.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I am more excited about the fact that Texas is providing more freedom than any other states. Freedom itself matters more than the actual benefit of carrying gun.
Texas does not provide more freedom than "any other state." Just because we are the largest state the GOP owns doesn't mean we are the state with the most freedom. Do you think the only states are California, NY and Texas? Seriously, you sound as ignorant as people on the Coasts.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:13 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
I’m of the opinion it is because of fear, that people cling to their guns so much.
Maybe some are fearful, I'd expect that to be those that would be at a gross disadvantage in a violent encounter with a stronger threat. Slightly built women, older less agile people, and really women in general. Shut-ins, and the extreme elderly could and should have fear in certain situations.

So your fear theory could very well cause people to own and have a readily usable weapon at hand or on their person. Cling seem a bit dramatic and not a good descriptive word for carrying.

On the other hand many are not motivated by fear to carry a firearm but see preparedness and awareness as their personal values and their firearm as simply a tool. The correct tool for several jobs that could be much more difficult to accomplish without that tool.

Maybe modify your opinion so that it doesn't squeeze everybody into yo box of convenient thought that someone has moulded you into thinking.

In this video evil is stopped by a good man, a church member, who was prepared and had his weapon on him. Good thing because the evil man was prepared for much more shooting and killing besides the 2 men he killed that day.

https://texashillcountry.com/watch-g...ed-churchgoer/

Click on the link and see a man in the back of the church not fearful, not clinging, but saving many lives that day . . . just a regular ordinary guy (that could pull off a head shot with a pistol at 30' while under duress). The sheepdog protected the lambs.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:27 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Texas does not provide more freedom than "any other state." Just because we are the largest state the GOP owns doesn't mean we are the state with the most freedom. Do you think the only states are California, NY and Texas? Seriously, you sound as ignorant as people on the Coasts.
Treasure . . . you are absolutely correct. I think Texas is #17 to pass a law allowing constitutional carry and way down the line in being late to the concealed carry passage too.

And don't think this GOP governor is a staunch protector of freedom. He was behind (by decree) the shutting of thousands of private business and hurting untold thousands with this crass failure of a tactic in the spring of 2020. Why allow big stores to be open and close family owned small stores and eateries?
I'll tell you, he needed to lay another brick in the foundation of his presidential bid and in hurting these Texans he pandered to the national press which is Leftist and essentially the propaganda wing of the DNC.

Texas may be a bit freer but it was damned slow getting here and only done as a political tactic. Abbott is a 2 faced clown. There's much better truly conservative political talent in this state.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:

True. Texas is actually very late to the party on this gun carry issue. Many states have had unlicensed gun carry as law for decades. The states range from red AZ to bluer than blue VT.

Please review the laws of other states before making such a broad sweeping statement.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I feel less free to pursue happiness since there’s virtually no place one can go to be free from the threat of gun violence.

...including the states and cities with the strictest gun laws like New York and Chicago.

Actually, that is kind of a defeatist and sad statement. Allowing the actions of a few criminals determine your happiness or hamper your motivation seems like a terrible way to go through life.

I tend to take the opposite approach. The criminals have firearms and have no qualms about using them - this means I have to arm myself, train and become proficient against these types and remain self reliant.

This, I believe, is the ultimate difference between the left and right. Fear and defeatism versus action and self reliance. Probably why I could never be a liberal.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
I am thinking broader, considering not only the guns. Well in fact guns are just a small part of the big picture. However guns are often indication of other freedoms.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:16 PM

240 posts, read 209,485 times
[quote=S.Allen;61450676]...including the states and cities with the strictest gun laws like New York and Chicago.

Actually, that is kind of a defeatist and sad statement. Allowing the actions of a few criminals determine your happiness or hamper your motivation seems like a terrible way to go through life.

Well, that’s what no place means. Happiness is hard to pursue when there’s a real chance you can be gunned down anywhere.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:

Happiness is hard to pursue when there’s a real chance you can be gunned down anywhere.
I hope criminals are thinking the same way and already packing their belongings to pursue happiness outside of Texas. I don't see reasons for a law abiding citizen to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas