Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,020,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live near Murchison and all I ever hear is MURCH is son, for the record. From people who live there and/or have grown up in this area.
That Texas Almanac link says:
Murchison — MER kuh s’n

Now I'm really curious! - KYUR - ee - uhs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 04:02 PM

Carthage is normally pronounced just like it looks - but unless my memory is failing me (which is entirely possible) there may be the occasional old-timer who pronounces it somewhat more like "cartridge."

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 07-26-2021, 07:23 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
That Texas Almanac link says:
Murchison — MER kuh s’n

Now I'm really curious! - KYUR - ee - uhs
LOL I have no idea, nor do I really care if I'm going to be honest (that "h" is silent!). I'm going to call it whatever the locals call it.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:11 PM

5,851 posts, read 11,851,631 times
Iraan - looks like it should be pronounced like the country, but it’s actually Ira-Ann after some original land owners in the area.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:26 AM

3,551 posts, read 3,024,077 times
Manor.
pronounced MAY-ner.

Spring.
usually hear it pronounced as SPRANG.

Humble.
of course it's UM-bull

San Felipe.
in Houston it was pronounced San Fil-IP-ee

Alvin.
most people pronounce it as spelled, but thank Alvin native Nolan Ryan for his car commercials for "TIE-oh-tah" in "AL-in"

Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 AM

In Houston I heard the road San Felipe pronounced more like “FILL-uh-pee” but I was surprised that in Austin County they pronounce the town San Felipe as “San Philip”

Old 07-27-2021, 12:47 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
As a fluent Spanish speaker, what hurts my ears the most are all the egregious mispronunciations of Spanish place names that one hears in Texas.

For example, living in Waco I never did get used to hearing the Brazos River pronounced as "BRAA-zus" river. And the Bosque River pronounced as the "BAW-skie river. Or in Austin, hearing people say "Guada-LOOP" instead of Guada-LOOP-ay"

Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,853,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
As a fluent Spanish speaker, what hurts my ears the most are all the egregious mispronunciations of Spanish place names that one hears in Texas.

For example, living in Waco I never did get used to hearing the Brazos River pronounced as "BRAA-zus" river. And the Bosque River pronounced as the "BAW-skie river. Or in Austin, hearing people say "Guada-LOOP" instead of Guada-LOOP-ay"
Well, I guess we won the Battle of San Jacinto (remember the "hard" j on that!), so we get to decide how to pronounce those place names.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,521,288 times
We own acreage in Mexia, and yes, the old timers say "Muh HAIR"- I say "Muh HAY uh"
Nearby Teague is pronounced "Tig" by the locals and "Teeg" by non locals
Italy is not how you would think- I have heard the locals say "IT lee" instead of "It a lee"

Old 07-27-2021, 06:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Well, I guess we won the Battle of San Jacinto (remember the "hard" j on that!), so we get to decide how to pronounce those place names.
Well, we could have renamed them to their correct English counterparts

San Antonio = St. Anthony
Rio Brazos de Dios = Arms of God River
Rio Bosque = Forest River
Rio Grande = Big River
San Jacinto = St. Hyacinth

etc....

That's what we do with German names for the most part. We say "Munich" not "München" We say "Vienna" not "Wien" we say "Germany" not "Deutschland" We say "Baltic Sea" not "Ostsee", we say "Cologne" not "Köln" we say "Switzerland" instead of "Schweiz" we say "Fredericksburg" instead of "Friedrichsburg" and so forth.

But as long as we are going to use the Spanish words....

I have noticed that other than the city of Los Angeles, it seems like California does a better job of pronouncing Spanish names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas