Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM

223 posts, read 140,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
As a Red Raider alum I would prefer TCU over Baylor as a conference mate (not that my preference matters one whit). Baylor has a tarnished brand just like SMU had for years due to scandals in football and basketball). They have shot themselves in the foot. Facts are facts.

TCU is a great adversary and although we want to whip them any chance we get (not that we do as often as I would like) they do have my personal admiration as a school and a sports program. I really don't feel anything like that about Baylor. I feel sorry for Baylor alums and fans but not the school itself.
You didn't state any facts in your post.

The facts are that the Baylor Bears are the 2021 National Champions in basketball.
The Baylor Women won the 2019 National Title.

The Baylor football team was an OT loss to OU from making the CFP playoffs in 2019.

This is not a surprise that a Tech fan would want TCU.
TCU and Tech are both kinda the same programs. Teams that are just pretty good, but not ever championship caliber.

Texas Tech never won the BIGXII in football.

People don't tend to like champions. They want easier competition, and then make up slander to denigrate the team that is on top.

The Miami Hurricanes were full of "Thugs",
USC was nothing but "gangbangers" with some speed....etc
Baylor's Christian Mission is now being held over them by liberals to make them out to be bad people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 09:43 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am not sure the Pac12 will take a parochial school with some of the 'restrictions' that BU places on students and professors, but who knows.
I expect that BU will have to decide whether it is more important to discriminate against LGBT students and faculty, or stay in big-time athletics.

If we are talking about the Pac-12, they will need to get the buy-in of all the existing campuses in the Pac-12 and I suspect that is unlikely if they maintain discriminatory practices. It is the same reason why BYU has an uphill battle getting into the Pac-12.

It also isn't largely about what Pac-12 administrators or individual school athletic directors and presidents think. It is about whether all the Pac-12 schools want to defend an alliance with Baylor or BYU to their student current bodies and alumni networks. I suspect for most of them the answer is no, that's not a tiger they want to grab by the tail. They would much rather invite in some public school that doesn't have that sort of baggage. Honestly, the only secular academic peers or counterparts that USC and Stanford have west of the Mississippi are Rice and Washington U in St. Louis and neither of those are football powers. So I suspect any schools that the Pac-12 invites in will be large public universities.

Although honestly I think a football partnership with the Big-10 might be more likely. Where they foster annual exchanges between USC-Ohio State, Oregon-Michigan, etc. Because there really aren't any other public schools in the west that are obvious "gets" for the Pac-12 now that they already have Utah and Colorado: San Jose State? San Diego State? UNLV? New Mexico? Colorado State? Boise State? Meh....I expect that Texas and Oklahoma would be the only schools that the Pac-12 would bend over backwards to attract.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-29-2021 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
You didn't state any facts in your post.

The facts are that the Baylor Bears are the 2021 National Champions in basketball.
The Baylor Women won the 2019 National Title.

The Baylor football team was an OT loss to OU from making the CFP playoffs in 2019.

This is not a surprise that a Tech fan would want TCU.
TCU and Tech are both kinda the same programs. Teams that are just pretty good, but not ever championship caliber.

Texas Tech never won the BIGXII in football.

People don't tend to like champions. They want easier competition, and then make up slander to denigrate the team that is on top.

The Miami Hurricanes were full of "Thugs",
USC was nothing but "gangbangers" with some speed....etc
Baylor's Christian Mission is now being held over them by liberals to make them out to be bad people.
Nobody cares about Baylor or it’s scandolous brand. This time around it will be Baylor Left out. No Ann Richards save you this time. Enjoy life in the AAC. I can’t wait to troll yo azz when Tech & TCU head west to PAC12 without Baylor.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:15 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Ima laugh when neither of those 3 get in. Baylor definitely has the best chance though. PAC-12 isn’t going to pass up on Baylor for its religious affiliation for a smaller brand school that also has religious affiliation

Old 07-29-2021, 12:59 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Ima laugh when neither of those 3 get in. Baylor definitely has the best chance though. PAC-12 isn’t going to pass up on Baylor for its religious affiliation for a smaller brand school that also has religious affiliation
I expect Baylor would be more problematic for most Pac-12 schools than TCU for two reasons. First, running a "rape factory" and covering it up. And second, for being much more overtly anti-LGBT. TCU just doesn't have anywhere near the "baggage" of Baylor. And I say this as someone who lived in Waco for 15 years where my wife was an affiliate faculty. And we were quasi-fans who went to many many games and cheered for the green and gold.

This isn't about the judgement of a couple of top Pac-12 executives based on financial calculations. It is about whether schools like UCLA, Berkeley, UO, and UW want to antagonize their students and faculty and deal with the inevitable protests should a school like Baylor be invited in for whatever dollars they might be able to bring to the rest of the Pac-12. That is a tiger that the average Pac-12 university president is most definitely not going to want to grab by the tail.

I don't think any of the Texas privates is ever going to be invited into the Pac-12. Not Baylor, not TCU, and certainly not SMU or Rice. But I don't think Tech will get an invite either. I think UT and OU are the only Big-12 schools that the Pac-12 would ever consider admitting.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:51 PM

240 posts, read 209,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I expect Baylor would be more problematic for most Pac-12 schools than TCU for two reasons. First, running a "rape factory" and covering it up. And second, for being much more overtly anti-LGBT. TCU just doesn't have anywhere near the "baggage" of Baylor. And I say this as someone who lived in Waco for 15 years where my wife was an affiliate faculty. And we were quasi-fans who went to many many games and cheered for the green and gold.

This isn't about the judgement of a couple of top Pac-12 executives based on financial calculations. It is about whether schools like UCLA, Berkeley, UO, and UW want to antagonize their students and faculty and deal with the inevitable protests should a school like Baylor be invited in for whatever dollars they might be able to bring to the rest of the Pac-12. That is a tiger that the average Pac-12 university president is most definitely not going to want to grab by the tail.

I don't think any of the Texas privates is ever going to be invited into the Pac-12. Not Baylor, not TCU, and certainly not SMU or Rice. But I don't think Tech will get an invite either. I think UT and OU are the only Big-12 schools that the Pac-12 would ever consider admitting.
Why wouldn’t Tech be invited when it’s one of the most valuable franchises left to be added by a P5 conference?

Old 07-29-2021, 02:02 PM

This sounds like an idea whose time has come:

https://twitter.com/dicksaban1/statu...097014786?s=12

Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Why wouldn’t Tech be invited when it’s one of the most valuable franchises left to be added by a P5 conference?
Texas Tech is not valuable.

Mediocre academics.

Mediocre in sports.

Location that is out in the middle of nowhere.

still plays football in a glorified high school stadium

no thanks.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-29-2021 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-29-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Nobody cares about Baylor or it’s scandolous brand. This time around it will be Baylor Left out. No Ann Richards save you this time. Enjoy life in the AAC. I can’t wait to troll yo azz when Tech & TCU head west to PAC12 without Baylor.

Check out who is #1 by a pretty wide margin.

Again...I understand that TCU doesn't know anything about being a Champion, but to state no one cares is not true.

The Baylor-Gonzaga National Title game was one of the most watched and hyped sporting events in years.
Fans of rival schools that never win National Titles might not care that Baylor is a 4x National Champion in M&W basketball, but the rest of the world certainly does.

I totally understand the frustration. I would be shocked if I ever saw TCU win a National Title in a non country club sport. Baylor is on its way to becoming the premier basketball school in the entire country.

TCU's entire athletic existence exists on being jealous of Baylor. If you go to the TCU message board they have some 5 year thread about how much they hate Baylor. Its the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

Baylor sets its sights on higher targets like winning Conference and National Titles.

TCU fans like the one above are still butthurt that they were not an original member of the BIGXII, and only got in as a replacement when Missouri, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Nebraska bailed.

Truth be told Houston would have been a much better choice in 1996 and 2012 for the BIGXII than TCU.
The TCU brand is non existent outside of Ft Worth.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-29-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Texas Tech is not valuable.

Mediocre academics.

Mediocre in sports.

Location that is out in the middle of nowhere.

no thanks.
It’s a valuable as any school being considered for subsumption into an existing P5 conference. Fwiw, since I don’t have a conference to for schools to join, I don’t think it’s that productive to try and minimize schools that find themselves fighting for their athletic lives. If Tech joins the PAC, it won’t be the only big state school with “mediocre academics” and “mediocre athletics” in the conference. Not every school can be Cal, UCLA, USC or Stanford. I’m fairly certain Tech would be happy to be associated with them.

Btw, Lubbock is an ideal college town. You don’t even have to drive to Dallas to go to the Cheesecake Factory.

Good luck.

The Red Raiders revenue is $60 million with a profit of $31 million. Texas A&M was No. 1 with $148 million in revenue and a profit of $107 million.

Here's the complete list from Forbes.

Texas A&M Aggies // SEC // Rev. $148 mil // Prof. $107 mil
Texas Longhorns // Big 12 // Rev. $133 mil // Prof. $87 mil
Michigan Wolverines // Big Ten // Rev. $127 mil // Prof. $75 mil
Alabama Crimson Tide // SEC // Rev. $127 mil // Prof. $59 mil
Ohio State Buckeyes // Big Ten // Rev. $120 mil // Prof. $69 mil
Oklahoma Sooners // Big 12 // Rev. $118 mil // Prof. $72 mil
Notre Dame Fighting Irish // Ind. // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $72 mil
Auburn Tigers // SEC // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $61 mil
LSU Tigers // SEC // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $56 mil
Florida Gators // SEC // Rev. $111 mil // Prof. $67 mil
Tennessee Volunteers // SEC // Rev. $108 mil // Prof. $60 mil
Oregon Ducks // Pac-12 // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $54 mil
Arkansas Razorbacks // SEC // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $54 mil
Penn State Nittany Lions // Big Ten // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $48 mil
South Carolina Gamecocks // SEC // Rev. $90 mil // Prof. $50 mil
Georgia Bulldogs // SEC // Rev. $89 mil // Prof. $55 mil
Florida State Seminoles // ACC // Rev. $88 mil // Prof. $41 mil
USC Trojans // Pac-12 // Rev. $87 mil // Prof. $47 mil
Washington Huskies // Pac-12 // Rev. $84 mil // Prof. $36 mil
Nebraska Cornhuskers // Big Ten // Rev. $83 mil // Prof. $46 mil
Ole Miss Rebels // SEC // Rev. $80 mil // Prof. $42 mil
Michigan State Spartans // Big Ten // Rev. $80 mil // Prof. $39 mil
Iowa Hawkeyes // Big Ten // Rev. $79 mil // Prof. $38 mil
Wisconsin Badgers // Big Ten // Rev. $78 mil // Prof. $43 mil
Texas Tech Red Raiders // Big 12 // Rev. $60 mil // Prof. $31 mil

The original Forbes article can be found here: College Football's Most Valuable Teams: Texas A&M Jumps To No. 1: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...h=7eb2c82a6c64
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas