Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 03:25 PM

223 posts, read 140,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
It’s a valuable as any school being considered for subsumption into an existing P5 conference. Fwiw, since I don’t have a conference to for schools to join, I don’t think it’s that productive to try and minimize schools that find themselves fighting for their athletic lives. If Tech joins the PAC, it won’t be the only big state school with “mediocre academics” and “mediocre athletics” in the conference. Not every school can be Cal, UCLA, USC or Stanford. I’m fairly certain Tech would be happy to be associated with them.

Btw, Lubbock is an ideal college town. You don’t even have to drive to Dallas to go to the Cheesecake Factory.

Good luck.

The Red Raiders revenue is $60 million with a profit of $31 million. Texas A&M was No. 1 with $148 million in revenue and a profit of $107 million.

Here's the complete list from Forbes.

Texas A&M Aggies // SEC // Rev. $148 mil // Prof. $107 mil
Texas Longhorns // Big 12 // Rev. $133 mil // Prof. $87 mil
Michigan Wolverines // Big Ten // Rev. $127 mil // Prof. $75 mil
Alabama Crimson Tide // SEC // Rev. $127 mil // Prof. $59 mil
Ohio State Buckeyes // Big Ten // Rev. $120 mil // Prof. $69 mil
Oklahoma Sooners // Big 12 // Rev. $118 mil // Prof. $72 mil
Notre Dame Fighting Irish // Ind. // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $72 mil
Auburn Tigers // SEC // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $61 mil
LSU Tigers // SEC // Rev. $112 mil // Prof. $56 mil
Florida Gators // SEC // Rev. $111 mil // Prof. $67 mil
Tennessee Volunteers // SEC // Rev. $108 mil // Prof. $60 mil
Oregon Ducks // Pac-12 // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $54 mil
Arkansas Razorbacks // SEC // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $54 mil
Penn State Nittany Lions // Big Ten // Rev. $92 mil // Prof. $48 mil
South Carolina Gamecocks // SEC // Rev. $90 mil // Prof. $50 mil
Georgia Bulldogs // SEC // Rev. $89 mil // Prof. $55 mil
Florida State Seminoles // ACC // Rev. $88 mil // Prof. $41 mil
USC Trojans // Pac-12 // Rev. $87 mil // Prof. $47 mil
Washington Huskies // Pac-12 // Rev. $84 mil // Prof. $36 mil
Nebraska Cornhuskers // Big Ten // Rev. $83 mil // Prof. $46 mil
Ole Miss Rebels // SEC // Rev. $80 mil // Prof. $42 mil
Michigan State Spartans // Big Ten // Rev. $80 mil // Prof. $39 mil
Iowa Hawkeyes // Big Ten // Rev. $79 mil // Prof. $38 mil
Wisconsin Badgers // Big Ten // Rev. $78 mil // Prof. $43 mil
Texas Tech Red Raiders // Big 12 // Rev. $60 mil // Prof. $31 mil

The original Forbes article can be found here: College Football's Most Valuable Teams: Texas A&M Jumps To No. 1: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...h=7eb2c82a6c64
I respect Texas Tech, and your first sentence is correct.
Very Good rebuttal.

Good Luck to the Red Raiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:16 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Forbes numbers are incorrect for Texas.
$146.8 million was generated by the football program in 2020.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/new...e-in-the-black

Old 07-29-2021, 07:23 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Forbes numbers are incorrect for Texas.
$146.8 million was generated by the football program in 2020.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/new...e-in-the-black
Forbes is never accurate for measuring sports teams.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
It’s a valuable as any school being considered for subsumption into an existing P5 conference. Fwiw, since I don’t have a conference to for schools to join, I don’t think it’s that productive to try and minimize schools that find themselves fighting for their athletic lives. If Tech joins the PAC, it won’t be the only big state school with “mediocre academics” and “mediocre athletics” in the conference. Not every school can be Cal, UCLA, USC or Stanford. I’m fairly certain Tech would be happy to be associated with them.

Btw, Lubbock is an ideal college town. You don’t even have to drive to Dallas to go to the Cheesecake Factory.

Good luck.

The Red Raiders revenue is $60 million with a profit of $31 million. Texas A&M was No. 1 with $148 million in revenue and a profit of $107 million.
None of that means anything in terms of CONFERENCE revenue. Neither the Pac-12 nor any other conference does revenue sharing among the athletic departments for anything other than TV revenue.

The only question for the Pac-12 is if bringing Tech into the conference will increase TV revenues compared to something else like entering into a partnership with the Big-10 to increase the number of non-conference games or something to that effect.

I expect an association with the Big-10 in which each school plays one or two annual non-conference games against a paired opponent in the other conference would bring in a LOT more money. Sort of like how USC and Notre Dame have an annual big game.

The Rose Bowl used to be the annual matchup between the Big-10 and Pac-12. The could revitalize that with an annual rivalry weekend between Big-10 and Pac-12 schools that would generate enormous buzz and TV ratings.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Especially when some teams include donations for capital projects with their annual operating expenditures.
Texas does not do that kind of accounting trickery.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:58 PM

240 posts, read 209,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Forbes numbers are correct for 2018.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:02 PM

240 posts, read 209,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
None of that means anything in terms of CONFERENCE revenue. Neither the Pac-12 nor any other conference does revenue sharing among the athletic departments for anything other than TV revenue.

The only question for the Pac-12 is if bringing Tech into the conference will increase TV revenues compared to something else like entering into a partnership with the Big-10 to increase the number of non-conference games or something to that effect.

I expect an association with the Big-10 in which each school plays one or two annual non-conference games against a paired opponent in the other conference would bring in a LOT more money. Sort of like how USC and Notre Dame have an annual big game.

The Rose Bowl used to be the annual matchup between the Big-10 and Pac-12. The could revitalize that with an annual rivalry weekend between Big-10 and Pac-12 schools that would generate enormous buzz and TV ratings.
That’s interesting. I expect something different.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:47 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
TCU is much less religious and more liberal than Baylor is plus the school doesn't have the baggage of rapes that Baylor has. TCU is loosely affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) which is a progressive denomination that doesn't tell TCU how to run its affairs. You do have to take a religion class but many students take classes such as "Religion and Anthropology" and "World Religion." The seminary is totally separate. Unlike Baylor, the undergraduate TCU Religion Dept. empathizes an academic, not faith-based study of religion. When I was a religion major, I found the professors were frustrated by the conservative Christians who were expected their classes to be just like Sunday School and couldn't handle an academic study of religion. It's quite common to not be Christian at TCU and those who aren't find it easy to avoid Christianity there.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:40 AM

^^^ That is pretty accurate from what I’ve heard for years. TCU is not like Baylor, so the PAC should not be adverse to having them join their conference.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Baylor also has the basketball scandal. That was terrible enough.

Also while they were practically winless in the inception of the Big 12, their political pandering bought them copious spoils of the Big 12 revenue. So while they were pathetic in football, they were able to buy UH alum Art Briles (who was recruiting for Baylor while still employed by UH) and tank the first resurgence of UH. So it warms my heart when I see that Baylor just recently tried to use political pull again to no avail. Welcome to the AAC!!

I am a TCU fan and a Tech fan. I wish them much success and hope they find a suitable landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas