Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 11:17 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
like I mentioned pages ago.....UT and A&M fans like the one you are quoting act like they are the New York Yankees of academics and sports...and they reality is that the Longhorns and aggies are massive underachievers.

Most of UT's vaunted football accomplishments happened when blacks were not allowed to play college football in the South.
Old-head UT fans still act like the average fan give a chit that UT was this super dominant football program in the 1960's.

The UT football program aint crap compared to OU.

UT has won exactly 1 National Title in the past 50 years since integration.
UT was good in the 1970's.
Elite in the 2000's.....but squarely behind their #1 rival Oklahoma.
Average in the 1980's, 1990's and 2010's.

UT has won 3 BIGXII titles. (1996, 2005, 2009)
Baylor was won 2. (2013, 2014)

If you listen to the average UT fan (like the one on this thread) you would think they were constantly winning BIGXII football titles, and competing for National Titles.

The only things that UT (and aggy) can really brag about is their money because their on field accomplishments are kinda average.
Average? Lol what does that make the rest of the leftovers in the Big 12 Texas teams? Want to cherry pick their decades?
When was the last time Baylor played for a national title in football, much less play for one? Funny how a Baylor fan has to talk smack by citing OU.
Texas has played twice for the MNC in the last 15 years and just missed on two others.
I have already stated numerous times that this has been the worst decade in the history of Texas football, but the Horns still went 6-2 in bowl games including the Sugar Bowl over Georgia. UT’s floor is the ceiling for the rest of the Texas schools.

UT academics speak for themselves, and so do the rising efforts of schools in its system. Nothing to be ashamed about there.

No bragging, just facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 02:46 PM

223 posts, read 140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Average? Lol what does that make the rest of the leftovers in the Big 12 Texas teams? Want to cherry pick their decades?
When was the last time Baylor played for a national title in football, much less play for one? Funny how a Baylor fan has to talk smack by citing OU.
Texas has played twice for the MNC in the last 15 years and just missed on two others.
I have already stated numerous times that this has been the worst decade in the history of Texas football, but the Horns still went 6-2 in bowl games including the Sugar Bowl over Georgia. UT’s floor is the ceiling for the rest of the Texas schools.

UT academics speak for themselves, and so do the rising efforts of schools in its system. Nothing to be ashamed about there.

No bragging, just facts.
UT sucks. Seriously.

All that money and the UT football program is nothing more than an average program since integration.

The bulk of UT's "vaunted" football tradition is based on when blacks were not allowed to play.

OU, USC and Alabama stayed great post integration.....the University of Texas? Take away Mack Brown and the Longhorns have accomplished almost nothing since blacks were allowed on the field.

The University of Texas sucked ass in the 1980's and 1990's, in addition to the past 10 years.

Your football team aint worth a chit, and just like aggy all a UT fan can really brag about nowadays is money and the past.

The last time Baylor and Texas went head to head (2013) for the BIGXII football title we kicked your ass sending Mack Brown out of Texas.
Texas has not won a BIGXII football title since.

Texas has never won consecutive BIGXII Football titles.

Baylor and OU are the only schools in the BIGXII to ever win consecutive BIGXII titles.

I will give UT credit.....they are great at country club sports, but
The University of Texas is the poster boy for underachieving and mediocrity.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 08-17-2021 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
You have the money to have even better academics, given the enormous funding advantage you have compared to other state schools. UT-Dallas is on a trajectory to become UT-Austin’s peer because of the commitment made by the Dallas business community to create and support a top ranked university in north Texas.
Better academics? Do you realize where most of the various schools on the Austin campus rank in the nation? Overall, higher than just about everyone in the southern 1/3 of the US and ranks the University in the top tier of the world. But yeah, always room for improvement.

Of the $20 billion budget of the UT system, the Austin campus spends $3 billion annually to operate, while the remaining 7 schools (including UT Dallas) and 4 health/medical Centers divy up the rest.
That is pretty generous of UT, as opposed to, say A&M that hogs 1/3 of its system’s budget.
UT Dallas is a fine university, ranked above Texas Tech and Houston. TAll Texans should be proud of it. They already get their fair share of the PUF as a part of the UT system. But I seriously doubt they are going to equal the Austin campus in anybody’s lifetime.

But you bring up a good point, the West Texas business community should be stepping up to support the Texas Tech system and make it a top notch university. Houston is doing it.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
UT sucks. Seriously.

All that money and the UT football program is nothing more than an average program since integration.

The bulk of UT's "vaunted" football tradition is based on when blacks were not allowed to play.

OU, USC and Alabama stayed great post integration.....the University of Texas? Take away Mack Brown and the Longhorns have accomplished almost nothing since blacks were allowed on the field.

The University of Texas sucked ass in the 1980's and 1990's, in addition to the past 10 years.

Your football team aint worth a chit, and just like aggy all a UT fan can really brag about nowadays is money and the past.

The last time Baylor and Texas went head to head (2013) for the BIGXII football title we kicked your ass sending Mack Brown out of Texas.
Texas has not won a BIGXII football title since.

Texas has never won consecutive BIGXII Football titles.

Baylor and OU are the only schools in the BIGXII to ever win consecutive BIGXII titles.

I will give UT credit.....they are great at country club sports, but
The University of Texas is the poster boy for underachieving and mediocrity.
Sorry, but only aggies try to do that childish “take away this, take away that” silliness. You cannot take away diddly. As I said, UT’s floor is the ceiling for places like Baylor. Even in the worst decade in UT football history the Horns still won 6 of the 10 matchups against the Bears... in their best decade.
Not to mention since the last all white UT team, Texas leads the seriers 35-16. But feel free to call UT “mediocre”. What does that make Baylor’s program?

Using the race card is not only laughable, but embarrassing for any fan.

Still mad your sleazebag rape culture coverup coach got fired for one of the worst sex scandals in college football history? Not to mention the enabler school president Starr? That campus is toxic in the way it treated all those rape victims. and the place is a disgrace to the Christian religion it claims to represent. Shame on them.
At least Baylor has gone back to its place in the football world where it belongs., in the bottom tier.

But Texas fans thank the Bears for helping get that lazy Mack Brown fired.

Last edited by ScoPro; 08-17-2021 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 07:28 PM

5,438 posts, read 7,723,606 times
I lived in Waco long enough to know a lot of people went to Baylor and worked there. It's a decent middle-of-the-road private school that has some management issues related to both athletics and fundamentalist meddling in academics. It is a decent enough place. But it's not the "Baptist Notre Dame" that it wants to be and probably never will be as long as they continue to give fundamentalists a hand in running the place.

That said, Baylor serves as more of a safety school for UT than the other way around. I expect there are probably 20x more students attending Baylor because they didn't get into UT than students attending UT because they couldn't get into Baylor. If such a rare student even exists.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:14 PM

I have no problem with the bulk of Baylor students, faculty & staff. Some of my professional colleagues & neighbors were Baylor grads. Good people all. Even my dad was good friends with Abner McCall.
But many of us outside Waco have a problem with the way the school “handled” the scandal and treated the victims.

But I forgot to respond to the statement made earlier that “Texas football, with all its money, is an underachiever” (paraphrasing)
That is a true statement that rankles all us Horn fans. But A&M leads UT in that category by far.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
How do think has grown into a five campus multi billion dollar system that grants more health professions degrees than any other system in the state? It has not been without the the financial and political support of west Texas. Powers within the state (led by A&M) did their best to corral the establishment of the state’s second vet school, the Texas Tech School of Veterinary Medicine at Amarillo. The inaugural class stated yesterday in a world class, state of the art facility, due in large measure to the support of all of west Texas.

From here it’s possible
UT officials (and fans like me) supported Tech’s efforts to establish a vet school. I was on record as such in a thread about it in this very forum - debating an aggie who was arguing against it.
I am not a Tech basher, my granddaughter attended Tech, is married to a Tech grad, and still resides in Lubbock.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sorry, but only aggies try to do that childish “take away this, take away that” silliness. You cannot take away diddly. As I said, UT’s floor is the ceiling for places like Baylor. Even in the worst decade in UT football history the Horns still won 6 of the 10 matchups against the Bears... in their best decade.
Not to mention since the last all white UT team, Texas leads the seriers 35-16. But feel free to call UT “mediocre”. What does that make Baylor’s program?

Using the race card is not only laughable, but embarrassing for any fan.

Still mad your sleazebag rape culture coverup coach got fired for one of the worst sex scandals in college football history? Not to mention the enabler school president Starr? That campus is toxic in the way it treated all those rape victims. and the place is a disgrace to the Christian religion it claims to represent. Shame on them.
At least Baylor has gone back to its place in the football world where it belongs., in the bottom tier.

But Texas fans thank the Bears for helping get that lazy Mack Brown fired.

The Baylor Bears are the National Champions.

The last two NCAA tournaments have ended with the Baylor Bears hand being held up as the #1 school in the entire country.

The Texas longhorns are nothing more than pretenders stuck reminiscing about the 1960's, and the last all white national title team.

I'm going to repeat myself......The Texas Longhorns aint chit. and fanboys like you can only brag about the past.....because in the present the Texas Longhorns suck ass.

I'm assuming you are over 70 years old.

The truth about the Texas Longhorns is that they are an average football program the past 50 years since integration.
Most of their bigtime accomplishments they love to hang their hats on were done in pre historic times when the best players were not allowed to play.

This is UT's record the past 11 seasons. When you factor in all the money you all love to brag about it makes your performance on the field even more pathetic.

IMO the horns are leaving the BIGXII because they are tired of TCU kicking their ass.

2010 5-7
2011 8-5
2012 9-4
2013 8-5
2014 6-7
2015 5-7
2016 5-7
2017 7-6
2018 10-4
2019 8-5
2020 7-3

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 08-18-2021 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I lived in Waco long enough to know a lot of people went to Baylor and worked there. It's a decent middle-of-the-road private school that has some management issues related to both athletics and fundamentalist meddling in academics. It is a decent enough place. But it's not the "Baptist Notre Dame" that it wants to be and probably never will be as long as they continue to give fundamentalists a hand in running the place.

That said, Baylor serves as more of a safety school for UT than the other way around. I expect there are probably 20x more students attending Baylor because they didn't get into UT than students attending UT because they couldn't get into Baylor. If such a rare student even exists.
"Decent enough place"....LOL

You might be surprised at the amount of people that do not put the University of Texas on a pedestal like you are currently doing.

I would much rather go to a private school like SMU, TCU or Baylor than to be an undergrad at a diploma factory with 50K students.

The top 10% rule screws a lot of kids at very competitive upper class high schools who do not finish in the top 10%, and do not want to go to summer school for the "luxury" of getting to attend the large diploma factories known as A&M and UT.

The average student at Baylor, TCU and SMU is someone that graduated anywhere from the top 10% to 50% at an upper middle class high school.

For the past 10 years I've asked almost every UT graduate I know a question, and almost all (80%) have answered in one way:

What did they enjoy more:
Going to the University of Texas?
Or going to school in Austin?

Most (not all) stated the best part of their college experience was living and going to school in Austin.

A lot of them said that UT was not that fun of a school to attend because of the size of the place. They stated since the school was so big that everyone stuck to their own student cliques.

To be fair, I've met folks that loved UT and said it was amazing.....but I'm truly surprised the amount of people that went there, and said it was just OK.
Almost all the UT students and grads I know have stated that Austin was a super fun place to be 18-24.

Its my opinion that a private school is a superior experience for an undergraduate student.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
Quote:
"Decent enough place"....LOL

You might be surprised at the amount of people that do not put the University of Texas on a pedestal like you are currently doing.

I would much rather go to a private school like SMU, TCU or Baylor than to be an undergrad at a diploma factory with 50K students.

The top 10% rule screws a lot of kids at very competitive upper class high schools who do not finish in the top 10%, and do not want to go to summer school for the "luxury" of getting to attend the large diploma factories known as A&M and UT.

The average student at Baylor, TCU and SMU is someone that graduated anywhere from the top 10% to 50% at an upper middle class high school.

For the past 10 years I've asked almost every UT graduate I know a question, and almost all (80%) have answered in one way:

What did they enjoy more:
Going to the University of Texas?
Or going to school in Austin?

Most (not all) stated the best part of their college experience was living and going to school in Austin.

A lot of them said that UT was not that fun of a school to attend because of the size of the place. They stated since the school was so big that everyone stuck to their own student cliques.

To be fair, I've met folks that loved UT and said it was amazing.....but I'm truly surprised the amount of people that went there, and said it was just OK.
Almost all the UT students and grads I know have stated that Austin was a super fun place to be 18-24.

Its my opinion that a private school is a superior experience for an undergraduate student.

I liked both Tech and the city of Lubbock....but I guess I am one of the "lesser" sorts, because my parents did not have enough zeros on the end of their paychecks to swing SMU or Baylor.

BTW....we know a little about that basketball magic. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas