Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:18 PM

34 posts, read 27,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Well I'm socially liberal and educated. I don't feel wealthy although others believe me to be. Who I vote on depends on the person. I like a lot of the local big city republicans. I've met a lot of them and they are good people. What I despise the most are the spineless, gutless, trumpster republicans. For the most part, they're far right and ignorant. They peddle conspiracy theories, reiterate talking points, and blindly follow Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Hannity, etc. Those people are a disgrace to the republican party I once knew. Politicians that give into these types are an embarrassment as well but it gets them elected in republican national primaries and statewide races. I really think these are smart people (IE Cruz) that will do or say whatever to appease constituents and get the vote. Case in point, the minute Trump ridiculed his wife should've been the day he vowed to never endorse the man. As a Texan, I was embarrassed. We are often seen as tough as nails, and he pulled a **** move like throwing all his support and admiration behind a guy that ridiculed his wife for cheap laughs. Or Trumps comments on McCain were completely ridiculous.

But the alternative is no better. A good portion of democrats are pushing to the other extreme. So it's a weird spot to be in. Local politics vs National are two different animals. So I tend to favor local non trump, centrist republicans that usually exist in big cities but national really depends on the person.

To show how much big city Texas conservatives despise Trump style politics,,, Tarrant County went for Biden. First time they went for a democrat in decades. Every other republican in the county won their race by a wider margin.
What confuses me is how these people still vote for Trump-style politicians. The down ballot GOP candidates are just as conservative as Trump, endorsed Trump, campaigned with Trump...the only difference is that their name is not Trump. Would you consider yourself to be closer to liberalism or conservatism?

Last edited by erwint.2021; 08-01-2021 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 01:11 AM

153 posts, read 108,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwint.2021 View Post
What confuses me is how these people still vote for Trump-style politicians. The down ballot GOP candidates are just as conservative as Trump, endorsed Trump, campaigned with Trump...the only difference is that their name is not Trump. Would you consider yourself to be closer to liberalism or conservatism?
Liberalism. Don't tread on me bro. Haha! Live and let live.

Not all of the big city GOP'rs campaign with Trump or would accept his endorsement. For some, that would end their political career. That is your big city ones that rely on moderates to get elected. That is also the ones that don't want to awaken a sleeping giant of would-be democrats that don't vote. I keep using Tarrant County as an example bc it's what I know best. A conservative has won the FW mayoral race and the margin is usually by about 5,000 votes. But only 80,000 of 900,000 residents vote in those elections. Being associated with far-right conservatism may result in a lost election since you just need 6,000 more people to be triggered enough to vote against you. As for the county, you can still be associated with far-right conservatism but it's getting riskier to do so. They are winning countywide seats, 52% to 48% and they are losing to popular democrats. Some republicans seeking countywide elections will not want to be associated with a far-right movement.

Now in rural Texas, you can be as far-right as you want to be. Go crazy with it.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,181,995 times
News flash!

No utopias have ever existed. That's the very definition of utopia: an idealized perfect world.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Not all of the big city GOP'rs campaign with Trump or would accept his endorsement. For some, that would end their political career. That is your big city ones that rely on moderates to get elected. That is also the ones that don't want to awaken a sleeping giant of would-be democrats that don't vote. I keep using Tarrant County as an example bc it's what I know best. A conservative has won the FW mayoral race and the margin is usually by about 5,000 votes. But only 80,000 of 900,000 residents vote in those elections. Being associated with far-right conservatism may result in a lost election since you just need 6,000 more people to be triggered enough to vote against you. As for the county, you can still be associated with far-right conservatism but it's getting riskier to do so. They are winning countywide seats, 52% to 48% and they are losing to popular democrats. Some republicans seeking countywide elections will not want to be associated with a far-right movement.

Now in rural Texas, you can be as far-right as you want to be. Go crazy with it.
I know a lady in Fort Worth who is very liberal, a staunch Democrat, who was a huge fan of Betsy Price. At the municipal level, gay marriage, abortion is not near an issue as at the state and local level. I'm trying to see which race is best to gauge the liberalism/conservatism of an area. Ft Worth voted for Mattie Parker, but it also voted for Biden by >10%, and also voted for Clinton. This situation reminds me of the electoral setup in Australia. The Liberals (center-right) and Labor (center-left) are similar to the GOP and Democrats in many respects. The referendum on gay marriage a few years ago yielded some very surprising results. Many of the areas with the highest support for gay marriage were areas that voted the most for the center-right Liberals. One division voted >80% and is a LP stronghold, the home of the (moderate) Malcolm Turnbull. Similarly, north Dallas is the most GOP area in the city proper and was the area most supportive of gay marriage in 2005, besides Oak Lawn. Downtown Ft Worth has historically been one of the most GOP areas of the city and it voted in favor of gay marriage, as did many GOP areas in Western Houston. If Trump was not the nominee, who would you vote for, do you like Biden and his platform or just don't like Trump?

Old 08-02-2021, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,603 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Quote:

You can come join the Weekly Trump trains in any of several nearby towns. And fetch a blank Covid card from the local pharmacy. Drop on by, enjoy some Texas Smart, to go along with your Texas Strong. Not to be confused with Texas St---d.

The educated around me all know Trump Won!

Old 08-02-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:

If found this article: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...eenberg-473330

Biden Republicans are the reverse of the Reagan Democrats. As time goes on, more and more will identify with Democrats if the GOP keeps going on this path.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I know a lady in Fort Worth who is very liberal, a staunch Democrat, who was a huge fan of Betsy Price. At the municipal level, gay marriage, abortion is not near an issue as at the state and local level. I'm trying to see which race is best to gauge the liberalism/conservatism of an area. Ft Worth voted for Mattie Parker, but it also voted for Biden by >10%, and also voted for Clinton. This situation reminds me of the electoral setup in Australia. The Liberals (center-right) and Labor (center-left) are similar to the GOP and Democrats in many respects. The referendum on gay marriage a few years ago yielded some very surprising results. Many of the areas with the highest support for gay marriage were areas that voted the most for the center-right Liberals. One division voted >80% and is a LP stronghold, the home of the (moderate) Malcolm Turnbull. Similarly, north Dallas is the most GOP area in the city proper and was the area most supportive of gay marriage in 2005, besides Oak Lawn. Downtown Ft Worth has historically been one of the most GOP areas of the city and it voted in favor of gay marriage, as did many GOP areas in Western Houston. If Trump was not the nominee, who would you vote for, do you like Biden and his platform or just don't like Trump?
Maybe ppl are more supportive because there's not as much stigma on the label now. I don't like Trump. Don't care for Biden either but he's the lesser of two evils. Tbh, I despise a lot of the national level politicians. I like local politics. The people affect me more and I can go straight up to them and have a conversation.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If found this article: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...eenberg-473330

Biden Republicans are the reverse of the Reagan Democrats. As time goes on, more and more will identify with Democrats if the GOP keeps going on this path.
I thought of that too. They could go to the Dems and try to force the party to the right a bit. But if Dems keep going too far left, like AOC left, republicans wouldn't join them either.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I thought of that too. They could go to the Dems and try to force the party to the right a bit. But if Dems keep going too far left, like AOC left, republicans wouldn't join them either.
It seems that the myth is that Democrats are these far-left people. AOC represents are minority of the party. Most Dems are socially liberal and fiscally moderate. Senator Angus King (I-ME) had a quote that said I'm too socially liberal for the GOP and too fiscally conservative for the Democrats, like 75% of Americans.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
If you are more liberal than conservative, what is the urge to vote for conservative politicians? There are no longer any national GOP moderates, except a few in the Senate and House (none from TX). In the city I live, the GOP US House candidate did 13% better than Trump, but he was endorsed by Trump and is a pro-life, anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, Newsmax regular. There is literally no difference between the two, except his name is not Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas