Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 02:33 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Abbott is going all the way to the Supreme Court in his efforts to protect the right of Republicans to acquire and spread disease. The state's hospitals are overflowing with Covid-19 patients, and are exporting patients to neighboring states and importing healthcare workers from all over - the result of these bizarre priorities. The Supreme Court has a clear majority of conservatives, but unless they are malicious, which I don't think they are, they won't side with Abbott. There is plenty of precedent for requiring public health measures to prevent the spread of serious disease - it's not new.
I agree, but it ain’t just “republicans”.... plenty of the blue dogs and minorities aren’t masking either.
Plenty of republicans are wearing the rags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Abbott is evil. Why else would he move Heaven and earth to limit the voter franchise rather than enlarge it in the aftermath of the biggest jump in voter engagement in decades?
Hogwash on the voter hysteria nonsense that’s just the cheating democrat talking point.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:51 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
the only thing we can all agreed on is what a mess Biden has made of this recovery.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:04 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the only thing we can all agreed on is what a mess Biden has made of this recovery.

hahahaha ahhhh.

Not a Biden fan, by far . . . but the prior Mentally-Ill Idiot already had US there.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:25 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Abbott is going all the way to the Supreme Court in his efforts to protect the right of Republicans to acquire and spread disease. The state's hospitals are overflowing with Covid-19 patients, and are exporting patients to neighboring states and importing healthcare workers from all over - the result of these bizarre priorities. The Supreme Court has a clear majority of conservatives, but unless they are malicious, which I don't think they are, they won't side with Abbott. There is plenty of precedent for requiring public health measures to prevent the spread of serious disease - it's not new.
So how would you stop this virus? States with mask mandates and other useless crap we have tried before never worked, so what is your secret recipe that you can stop a virus? You would be the first to ever stop a corona virus so let us hear it.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
That is the most succinct and descriptive way to put it - the right to acquire and spread disease.

I've lost a few older relatives, friends, and I know somebody who is just getting to the point where he can recognize people again after being hospitalized over a month with COVID. Ask ANY public health expert (you can find lots right here at the school of public health in the med center) and they will tell you a lot of this could have been prevented.

But yea, I think all politicians regardless of the party are crooked.
Within the past two weeks -

A neighbor of mine who isn’t elderly is hanging on for dear life after being diagnosed with covid 19

My 10 year olds best friend (also 10) has contracted Covid 19

First week of school next week with over 1000 unvaccinated children crammed together in full capacity classrooms and cafeterias? It’s a matter of when not if entire classes will be sent home to quarantine. The no mask for unvaccinated children considering there’s no virtual is simply mind boggling I don’t care what side you’re on

Old 08-15-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Abbott is evil. Why else would he move Heaven and earth to limit the voter franchise rather than enlarge it in the aftermath of the biggest jump in voter engagement in decades?
There is absolutely no need to “enlarge” the longtime voting system in Texas which is working fine.
The “disenfranchisement” allegations are just a made up fantasy on the part of the democrats, particularly the voter ID objections that are stupid & condescending.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:58 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Superior government "dictating" to inferior government is correct, OP.

Requiring the inferior government to not place unnecessary and illegal restrictions on our liberty is correct, OP.

BTW, for context, I'm voting for West for governor so I'm not an Abbott fan, and I'm currently sick with what is probably COVID, most likely picked up at a local medical center, where everyone was wearing masks...

Old 08-15-2021, 10:48 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Y'all didn't complain when governors illegally shut down businesses, schools, and churches for months. But I guess it's (D)ifferent this time.
I'd like to know just who is the 'y'all' you are referring to. I thought it was the most asinine thing in the world to do and wasn't shy in vocalizing my opinion either.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:30 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let's see ...

Abbott (executive branch) wrote the law (legislative branch) that makes it illegal for schools to try to keep students safe
and threatens to punish schools that break it (judicial branch)

Yes, that's a dictator
Oh wow! Are you really this block headed or are you just too stubborn to admit you don't know the definition of dictatorship

I understand you thoroughly dislike Abbott and you want to make as many disparaging comments as you can about him. I have no quarrel with you or anyone else on your personal opinion of Abbott as it is only natural to have your own opinions. I do have to say though, in regards to your continued persistence in referring to Abbott as a dictator (even after being told dictators have all power and you obviously didn't understand this or maybe just chose to disbelieve it) do yourself a favor here and look up dictatorship and ask for help if you still can't under the definition. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas