Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:37 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Anybody else tired of Republican governor Abbott acting like a dictator
In 2020 he passed an executive order basically closing small businesses to "protect people in Texas from Covid" and making wearing mask a law.
In 2021 passes an executive order making it illegal for any government agency in Texas to require wearing a mask

Texas Governor Reverses Course and Orders Face Masks - July 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/u...xas-masks.html

Gov. Greg Abbott on Thursday ordered all Texans to wear face coverings in public, with a limited number of exceptions, a sharp reversal that underscored the severity of the coronavirus outbreak that has surged out of control in Texas.
The governor’s order, which goes into effect on Friday, provides for fines of up to $250 per violation after an initial warning, but no jail time. In April, when the state initially appeared to have its outbreak under control, Mr. Abbott had blocked municipalities from imposing fines.

Greg Abbott turns Republican rage into law - Aug. 2021
https://theweek.com/politics/1003430...d-19-hypocrisy

Abbott initially banned local mask mandates in May, threatening to impose a $1,000 fine on counties, cities, and public schools that violated his order. And now just as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued new guidance advising indoor masking even for vaccinated people in the wake of the new Delta variant, Abbott is going the other way. Not only has he doubled down on his mask mandate ban but he has also banned "vaccine passports" in the state. And he is doing so even as Texas has experienced a 200 percent spike in COVID cases over two weeks, more than 70 points above the national average.
Abbott claims that he is taking this action so that individual Texans – rather than local governments or businesses – can "decide for themselves and their children whether they will wear masks" and "engage in leisure activities." But protecting individual rights doesn't mean stripping these entities of their legitimate powers and rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 07:26 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
So...you did not like it when he asked for masks and lockdowns.....and you are angry at him again for not mandating masks?

So which is it? Do you want masks and lockdowns or not, because it looks like he flip flopped and gave you both. LOL

Old 08-11-2021, 07:41 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
So...you did not like it when he asked for masks and lockdowns.....and you are angry at him again for not mandating masks?
So which is it? Do you want masks and lockdowns or not, because it looks like he flip flopped and gave you both. LOL
I'm not the governor,
he's the one that needs to make up his mind and stop flipflopping

Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'm tired of our Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins being an even worse dictator.

How about we keep all of our freedoms and stop letting any of these people tell us what to do?

Old 08-11-2021, 09:21 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
Y'all didn't complain when governors illegally shut down businesses, schools, and churches for months. But I guess it's (D)ifferent this time.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:38 AM

858 posts, read 680,008 times
Abbott is not a dictator. Dictators rule with a grand plan. Abbott is just a puppet of oil and big business in Texas.

But he is a horrible, small, spiteful excuse for a human.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:59 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,262 times
I like Abbott he is doing a good job.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:12 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
I like our governor too.
He does what makes sense.
During pandemic he reacted in accordance to the continuously changing situation. Not so strict lockdown with the plan to reopen the economy as soon as possible. I think it went out well last year. Check.
In 2021 he removed mask mandate according to the CDC guideline at that moment. Check.
Now CDC is flipflopping and wants to put masks back. He is currently hesitant to do so and this is quite understandable.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm not the governor,
he's the one that needs to make up his mind and stop flipflopping

I agree. Not a fan of flip flopping politicians at all.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,787,958 times
I hate all incompetent politicians equally. The ones I hate even more are the ones I see on Reddit, Twitter or other social media. If you're incompetent or don't know what you're doing, at least have the decency to do absolutely nothing and leave me alone. Jenkins' dictatorial actions seek to force me to do stuff against my will and he tweets about it, then proceeds to waste county resources going to court. Abbott's dictatorial actions seek to force local governments to leave me the **** alone to go about my day without government harassment. TBH I'm sure they both screwed up majorly in their own way so I'll reserve judgment on their competence or lack thereof.

Therefore, Abbott >>>>>>> Jenkins in my book in this instance. I reserve the right to change my mind if their actions change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas