Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 05:15 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

Gawd. I remember that guy on one of the local Houston stations decades ago, when he was just a TV anchor or news reporter. Of course, you don't need much in the way of credentials to be a politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 05:47 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The only reason race matters is trying to understand why people aren't getting the vaccine. An upper middle class white person has very different reasons for not getting the vaccine than a black person or Hispanic person.
I don’t see why there’s a difference
We are not in the 1950s

I work with people of all races and I don’t see why their color matters when it comes to getting the vaccine
I would agree if you say poor/rich people, city/country people, christian/atheist, etc,
Color has nothing to do with getting the vaccine.

Or am I supposed to check my skin color before deciding whether or not to get the vaccine?

Old 08-23-2021, 08:52 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
We are not in the 1950s

I work with people of all races and I don’t see why their color matters when it comes to getting the vaccine
I would agree if you say poor/rich people, city/country people, christian/atheist, etc,

Or am I supposed to check my skin color before deciding whether or not to get the vaccine?
You’re being willfully dense.

Different races often have different cultures. Different cultures have different ways of looking at things. There is a reason willingness to be vaccinated is different by racial group. If we’re serious about fighting this virus and getting everyone vaccinated, then you must look at why this is the case and take politics and political correctness out of the equation. We can’t help fix the problem if we aren’t willing to explore it in the first place.

Race is far from the only factor which is statistically correlated to who will and won’t take the vaccine, but it is one of them.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You’re being willfully dense.

Different races often have different cultures. Different cultures have different ways of looking at things. There is a reason willingness to be vaccinated is different by racial group. If we’re serious about fighting this virus and getting everyone vaccinated, then you must look at why this is the case and take politics and political correctness out of the equation. We can’t help fix the problem if we aren’t willing to explore it in the first place.

Race is far from the only factor which is statistically correlated to who will and won’t take the vaccine, but it is one of them.
So you are telling me that race/color is a bigger factor than income and religion?
It has nothing to do with political correctness ... it has to do with facts.

you are the one that is being willfully dense ... race/color is not the same as culture

Last edited by Dopo; 08-24-2021 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
So you are telling me that race/color is a bigger factor than income and religion?
It has nothing to do with political correctness ... it has to do with facts.

you are the one that is being willfully dense ... race/color is not the same as culture
No Im saying that race, like income and religion, create a picture of who is likely to be more hesitant to the vaccine.

Race and color often dictate culture and sometimes they dont. If were serious about trying to get everyone vaccinated than we have to look at it from every angle. If we purposely ignore race as a factor, this will never work.

People want simple answers to complex questions. It doesnt work that way.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
People want simple answers to complex questions. It doesnt work that way.
I'll give you the simple answer = poor people are always less likely to do anything, because of lack of time (no flexibility at work to take time off), money, transportation, etc.
no matter what color they are

Last edited by Dopo; 08-24-2021 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I'll give you the simple answer = poor people are always less likely to do anything, because of lack of time (no flexibility at work to take time off), money, transportation, etc.
That isnt a simple answer. Thats a half truth.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:05 AM

19,789 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:

Your thesis is terrible. From an epidemiology/disease control perspective whenever any identifiable group is resistant to treatments/vaccination/better courses of disease management relative to other groups the pros must figure out why and take action.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:52 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
We are not in the 1950s

My black coworkers are highly educated and refuse to get the vaccine because of the Johnson & Johnson baby powder issues that mostly affected black families. They also distrust the medical community because of how they have been treated. My coworkers told me they have been laughed at and not been taken seriously by doctors time and time again. And don't forget the Tuskegee experiments that were overseen by the CDC.

Most white people haven't experienced any of this, so their reasoning for not getting the vaccine is likely due to politics or a general mistrust in the government.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 AM

115 posts, read 63,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My black coworkers are highly educated and refuse to get the vaccine because of the Johnson & Johnson baby powder issues that mostly affected black families. They also distrust the medical community because of how they have been treated. My coworkers told me they have been laughed at and not been taken seriously by doctors time and time again. And don't forget the Tuskegee experiments that were overseen by the CDC.

Most white people haven't experienced any of this, so their reasoning for not getting the vaccine is likely due to politics or a general mistrust in the government.
Your black coworkers have been laughed at time and time again by doctors? So multiple coworkers laughed at by multiple doctors???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: