Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:02 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,386,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
However, this particular thread relates to cities. What you’re mentioning is happening in Plano, Irving and McKinney. On a city level, the Dallas job market isn’t as strong as Houston’s. So these urban developments while they help attract businesses because they offer things to do, they aren’t the ones directly attracting companies.

I will note one bias though. Houston has more suburban areas and business districts within its city limits though, particular West Chase, Uptown, CityCentre etc. With work trends going suburban, this probably affects the results.
My post answers a question that SanJac asked in his post.....scroll back and re-read it.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:59 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,555,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Not to make things personal but you are still here. So either those things are not very important or DFW doesn’t have that much of a competitive advantage to make you pack your bags?

I think the OP’s argument is flawed.
1. I don't hate Houston I just don't like the way the metro is developed.
2. Houston is fine enough for me to continue to live here and raise my family.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON I'M STILL HERE is

MY WIFE. As much as I like Houston if it were solely up to me bags would have been packed and we would live somewhere else. Again don't hate Houston but I'm more of a urban walk centric guy. My Wife doesn't care about all that. We also have a toddler and our families live here in Houston. So I just suck it up, compromise and can always visit those places I'd desire to live in. Have to make sacrifices you know.

Ironically though, we've narrowed down staying in Houston or moving to Dallas next year so we're in the process of looking at homes/neighborhoods in both. As much as I like Dallas development better than Houston, I prefer Houston's culture over Dallas.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:16 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,072,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
*Better city services
*Better run municipalities

*Better looking Neighborhoods
*Better property value increases
* More jobs

I live in an annexed area in the Houston suburbs and I agree with this
I pay taxes to build roads and bridges on the other side of Houston
and if we have an issue in my area ... I have no idea who to call to complain about it.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:47 AM

869 posts, read 309,537 times
Quote:
What about the majority of the other people who don't think that?....they don't matter huh?
I mean...wouldn't that ALSO apply to Houston being "chaotic and ugly"? Not everyone thinks that as well. I surely don't.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Exactly. “Bland and boring” seems to be a better recipe than ugly and boring.

This is the first time I've heard of Houston being boring. How on EARTH would Dallas not be boring, yet Houston is? That doesn't even make sense, lol.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:55 AM

1,664 posts, read 966,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1. I don't hate Houston I just don't like the way the metro is developed.
2. Houston is fine enough for me to continue to live here and raise my family.
Your honest! I respect that!

I'm a Houston homer. I admit it...but I try to be objective about things. I hate billboards, strip malls, unkept areas...trust me... I just think the comparisons are way overblown.

As I've mentioned in previous threads...I grew up in unincorporated Aldine, played in ditches throughout my childhood, and even went to high school in Acres Homes...maybe I'm just immune to the "ugliness" other people see.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
*Better city services
*Better run municipalities
*Better looking Neighborhoods
*Better property value increases
* More jobs

Except NONE of that has Dallas running away as the clear leader here. As someone mentioned earlier, Houston AS A CITY is still neck and neck with the WHOLE of DFW despite the fact that it developed TOTALLY different and in "chaotic" fashion, and despite the fact that DFW has over 500k more people to work with. So what does "better looking neighborhoods" and "better run municipalities" get you? A slightly more pleasing view of a city hemmed in by a bunch of smaller cities?

Yea...give me "ugly and chaotic" any day, lol.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Your honest! I respect that!

I'm a Houston homer. I admit it...but I try to be objective about things. I hate billboards, strip malls, unkept areas...trust me... I just think the comparisons are way overblown.

As I've mentioned in previous threads...I grew up in unincorporated Aldine, played in ditches throughout my childhood, and even went to high school in Acres Homes...maybe I'm just immune to the "ugliness" other people see.

And THIS is what Dallas homers either CAN'T understand or just flat-out REFUSE (looking at you, dallasboi ) to understand. They want Dallas to be SO MUCH BETTER than Houston that they can't FATHOM how everyone doesn't see Houston the way they do. Like you, I grew up in Houston...so the "ugliness" of the city just doesn't exist to me, especially in the present day. If you've ever driven the West Loop South to where it merges with 288, take a look to your left and you get one of the best views of downtown, the TMC, and the museum district in the city...NOTHING in Dallas can compare to that...and trust me, I've tried to find it.

I've always agreed that Dallas is a far more "organized" city, but that doesn't make it any "prettier" so to speak...and I'll take Houston's few breath-taking city views over Dallas' "organization" any day.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 810,578 times
Dallas hardly has any trees...it is way uglier than Houston.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Dallas hardly has any trees...it is way uglier than Houston.

Now, I wouldn't go THAT far lol...Dallas has SOME trees, though nothing compared to Houston's green lushness.

Dallas isn't ugly by any means, but it does give off a certain "blandness" compared to Houston's "chaos".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas