Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 10:55 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

Based out of ATX metro area but have been doing Uber’s / Lyft’s / Amazon Deliveries as a side gig (long story short, laid off due to pandemic last year and am using it for extra income to pay back the debts).

Once in awhile I will get a ride outside of the city into the country where there are ranches, no subdivisions, no traffic, nothing but ranches, cattle, chickens, and farm dogs. A few times I have also gotten rides way out into Hill Country at night and being able to see a clear horizon filled with stars and the rolling hills in the foreground. Just enough trees to call it forested but not tall enough to obstruct your visibility. It’s quiet, nature filled and I guess in a sense it’s soul awakening and it makes you realize there’s more to life than all this hype and propaganda surrounding Texas major metro areas. I can’t believe that I actually began to consider that one day I might want to live in such a secluded spot where there is no one to bother ya, no corporate systems, or anything to worry about.

One thing I was however quite shocked about (although I guess I shouldn’t be) and not to their dismay or anything but just somewhat surprised by how Hispanic the rural areas are. I guess I was more less expecting it to be more Caucasian due to the rural stereotype.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-02-2021 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 04:42 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The best parts of Texas truly are found in its wide open spaces, and not in the cities.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:31 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Depends on where in texas you are in regard to the ethnic make-up. Over where we are and down south it may be more Hispanic, but further north and west (think Abilene or panhandle area) it may be more white. And even with that said, the rural border areas may be white in doors due to historic land ownership by white Texans who have been in the stage for 6-7 generations. Glad you’re exploring a bit, I think you’d like to explore the area between kerrville and else paso.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
.mm.I can’t believe that I actually began to consider that one day I might want to live in such a secluded spot where there is no one to bother ya, no corporate systems, or anything to worry about.....
And likely no internet!

I can drive to a hill and sometimes get a cell signal. Still waiting for library to reopen during after dark hours. Farmers and outdoor workers / contractors really can't take time off during daylight to drive to town for internet connection.

I've only lived in town when living overseas in Singapore. (City state).
But Texas is not as remote as many states where you might be snowbound for weeks and not see neighbors, postman, sheriff.....our kids drove 120 miles / day during High School. (They live in town as adults )

My PT delivery trucking route during college was 863 miles each night (Friday, Sat, Sunday), all very rural. Some nights would drive for up to 6 hours and only see a couple other cars.

Texas, like central Nevada has miles of nothing. Great place for missle firing range.

Spending a couple days driving the southern Texas border from Laredo to El Paso was a worthwhile adventure and nice history lesson. At the time, it was very easy to cross over to Mexico frequently.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:58 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
There are several satellite internet providers, such as DirectTV and Hughes. As long as your receiver has a view of the sky, you can have internet anywhere. It’s not inexpensive, though.

We are very fortunate to have excellent WiFi in our rural area. There’s a local provider that has a transmitter on top of the water supply company’s tower just up the road from our place. It’s even fast enough to stream TV!

Old 09-04-2021, 10:20 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Hughes is either cheap nor fast .

Rural wifi, where available, is much better.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
For internet, since I am in at least 5 states every month, and often international, I'm waiting for mobile Starlink, tho it is not cheap. I need uncapped and fast for uploads for global daily conferencing and large data file transfers. (Hughes and std orbit satellite cannot support HS uploads, only down.). So ... Many of USA rural dwellers, especially businesses, are without usable internet.

A few Texas REA providers are running fiber where demand and population will pay for the infrastructure. USA is far behind most of the world in data and cell access for rural areas. Google and Facebook have wired many 3rd world countries, but USA has strict (and inefficient) regulations, access, and control of airway frequencies. (As noted by current communication crisis for EMS operations, which we have been fighting to improve for over 30; years)

Such is life and politics in USA, especially Texas .

Old 09-05-2021, 08:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Based out of ATX metro area but have been doing Uber’s / Lyft’s / Amazon Deliveries as a side gig (long story short, laid off due to pandemic last year and am using it for extra income to pay back the debts).

Once in awhile I will get a ride outside of the city into the country where there are ranches, no subdivisions, no traffic, nothing but ranches, cattle, chickens, and farm dogs. A few times I have also gotten rides way out into Hill Country at night and being able to see a clear horizon filled with stars and the rolling hills in the foreground. Just enough trees to call it forested but not tall enough to obstruct your visibility. It’s quiet, nature filled and I guess in a sense it’s soul awakening and it makes you realize there’s more to life than all this hype and propaganda surrounding Texas major metro areas. I can’t believe that I actually began to consider that one day I might want to live in such a secluded spot where there is no one to bother ya, no corporate systems, or anything to worry about.

One thing I was however quite shocked about (although I guess I shouldn’t be) and not to their dismay or anything but just somewhat surprised by how Hispanic the rural areas are. I guess I was more less expecting it to be more Caucasian due to the rural stereotype.
It’s even more pronounced when you travel further west towards the remote regions of the Big Bend area, where the broad expanse of the star-filled night sky overwhelms you with the sense of humanity’s insignificance.

Your sentiments of the positive effects of nature are shared by many, including David Kaczynski, who moved to Terlingua from Schenectady, NY.

And his brother Ted.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
I would live in a rural area somewhere in Texas if I didn't have certain occupational and social needs. Because of these needs, I live in Dallas. I like Texas outside of the big metro areas.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:29 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
nd even with that said, the rural border areas may be white in doors due to historic land ownership by white Texans who have been in the stage for 6-7 generations.
The vast vast majority have long sense left the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas