Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 07:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experiences with getting an alcohol license from TABC? I am wanting to start bottling some cocktails and sell them at my local outdoor market, but I don't even know if this is possible. Do you need a storefront to sell alcohol in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 07:46 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
You’re allowed to sell home brewed beer or cider, and homemade wine.
It is not legal to own a still to distill hard liquor in Texas.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You’re allowed to sell home brewed beer or cider, and homemade wine.
It is not legal to own a still to distill hard liquor in Texas.

I'm not brewing or distilling anything, just mixing some ingredients (liquor, sugar syrup, and some citrus) and wanting to sell them in a bottle. At home you put them on ice and enjoy.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:29 AM

Sales are regulated by the % of alcohol in the bottle. That’s a sticky area. Honestly, I’d call the TABC and ask.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:19 AM

Unfortunately they told me that this really isn't possible unless you own a bar and sell the cocktails "to go". It's far easier to sell guns in this state than alcohol. I'm not even joking.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:29 PM

738 posts, read 764,457 times
Most cities of a significant size have someone in the business of helping people apply for liquor licenses, sometimes a lawyer, sometimes not. Might ask some friendly bar owners who if anyone in your locale does that.

I think the bottling part is what gets you. There are three general permit types in Texas. Manufacturing, Distribution, and Retail.

You are basically trying to do all three which as far as I can tell is not allowed. Mixing and Bottling at a site(your house) is a distillers and rectifier's permit, transporting to the market is a distributor permit, and selling them is a retailers permit. I don't think you can even hold all three permits(it's an anti monopoly/organized crime measure).

There may be a way to do it onsite through a mixed beverage sales license but I'm fairly certain you would need a storefront of some type to do the bottling and to keep your alcohol and permit at. Might see how they handle food trucks vis a vis licensing but I think the current rules don't allow it without a storefront that meets the requirements.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
own a bar and sell the cocktails "to go".
That actually might be the easiest way now that to-go alcohol sales are legal. There are several daquiri to-go shops in my area, and they seem to do quite well!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:46 PM

I got the idea when I was in Seattle. Some of the bars during COVID were selling pre-made cocktails in nice little glass bottles with a cool looking label. All you had to do was go home and pour it over ice and you have a bar quality cocktail at home. You could even order them curbside through an app.

A lot of bars in TX do "to go" now but they aren't pre-bottled and are served in a plastic cup with lid and need to be drank ASAP otherwise the ice will melt or they will get cold.

Basically what I'm trying to make and sell is this: https://www.ontherockscocktails.com/the-drinks/

You buy them at Total Wine and take it home and throw some ice in a glass and pour it on top. I'm guessing a liquor store in TX can sell these because they aren't the people producing them.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:34 PM

738 posts, read 764,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I got the idea when I was in Seattle. Some of the bars during COVID were selling pre-made cocktails in nice little glass bottles with a cool looking label. All you had to do was go home and pour it over ice and you have a bar quality cocktail at home. You could even order them curbside through an app.

A lot of bars in TX do "to go" now but they aren't pre-bottled and are served in a plastic cup with lid and need to be drank ASAP otherwise the ice will melt or they will get cold.

Basically what I'm trying to make and sell is this: https://www.ontherockscocktails.com/the-drinks/

You buy them at Total Wine and take it home and throw some ice in a glass and pour it on top. I'm guessing a liquor store in TX can sell these because they aren't the people producing them.
For that you would need a distillers license which includes ability to mix. The issue is you could not then transport them off site and sell them direct to the public. Distillers are limited to a few thousand gallons of onsite sales a year and can only do a certain small amount to each individual customer per year. So like a fifth a year I believe, and you have to keep records of everyone who buys.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:01 AM

Actually it’s a fifth per month, and yes, you do have to keep records. Most distilleries have customers sign a book when they buy on-premise. I personally recall signing the book at Garrison Bros and TX Whiskey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: