Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 05:48 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
Will be visiting relatives in Houston Texas and part of the journey will be driving from Las Cruces to San Antonio before getting to Houston. My aunt is warning us that West Texas is long and boring. On the other hand, someone else told me if driving after dark, the stars are amazing!

We'll be driving our Subaru Outback with new tires in early November.

Any tips? Dangers to avoid? We'll be keeping and eye on the weather of course. Should we stay a night somewhere? Things to see on the way? I see White Sands is an hour north of Las Cruces.

We've done the drive from Orange County to Redding, Ca. in one hit many many times, and driving from the eastside of the grapevine to Sacramento is pretty long and boring, but we bring a ton of soundtracks to listen to!

This will be a new experience for sure!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 06:02 PM

270 posts, read 193,459 times
Fort Stockton is about halfway, and a good place to stop for gas, next town is Ozona, then Sonora, then Junction and your out of the dry country, close to San Antone

Old 09-30-2021, 06:13 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Lots of caffeine

Old 09-30-2021, 06:30 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Stop in Fort Stockton and take a selfie with Paisano Pete. If you have time, tour the old Fort and the old fort cemetery, which are close to the intersection where Pete is. I grew up in FS, there is a lot of real neat history there, along with some fine folks and some real good Mexican food.

If you like caverns, the caverns at Sonora are a pretty cool way to spend a little while. Just check ahead and make sure they are open.

In Iraan, there is Alley Oop park. If you are not familiar, google Alley Oop, the author of the comic strip was from Iraan.

Other than that, there is a very, very long drive with little to see until you get into the hill country.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-30-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lots of caffeine
Oh yes, we're on to that!

Old 09-30-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll be looking up Sonora Caverns and Natural Bridge Caverns.
I originally was looking at taking extra time to see Carlsbad Caverns, but the road from there to Pecos is nicknamed "Death Highway", because of all the potholes, 2 lane hwy and oil trucks, so think I'll pass.
We're pretty adventurous, but oof, that sounds pretty hairy.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:24 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'll be looking up Sonora Caverns and Natural Bridge Caverns.
I originally was looking at taking extra time to see Carlsbad Caverns, but the road from there to Pecos is nicknamed "Death Highway", because of all the potholes, 2 lane hwy and oil trucks, so think I'll pass.
We're pretty adventurous, but oof, that sounds pretty hairy.
Watch for speed traps.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:41 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Watch for speed traps.
And really, keep an eye out for feral hogs running across the Interstate after dark.
Hitting a 200 lb. nasty hog at 80 mph will ruin your day.... and your car.

Last time we drove to El Paso & back we saw big hog carcasses on the side of the highway every few miles.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:30 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And really, keep an eye out for feral hogs running across the Interstate after dark.
Hitting a 200 lb. nasty hog at 80 mph will ruin your day.... and your car.

Last time we drove to El Paso & back we saw big hog carcasses on the side of the highway every few miles.
What about deer? Especially the last 100 miles before San Antonio.

One of my favorite podcasts is Red Pilled America on iHeart Radio.

Drive safe. Just west of Katy (coming into Houston) there is lots of construction for miles and miles. Drive the speed limit or under. I-10 is heavily patrolled being the major drug smuggling route from Mexico to all points East.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:44 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
I did this back in '78. Bring a can of gas in case you miss the "last chance" fill up. I'd bring a case of bottled water too, in case you get a flat or breakdown. Yes, the night sky can be breathtaking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas