Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 01:34 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If memory serves Central Expressway and Parker in Plano is an SPIU with dedicated Texas Turnarounds too.

Can someone from up that way confirm or deny that pls?
Looks like that is the case. I wonder why they don't use that design more often? Cost I'd imagine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 01:39 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If memory serves Central Expressway and Parker in Plano is an SPIU with dedicated Texas Turnarounds too.

Can someone from up that way confirm or deny that pls?
You are correct. There’s another one at 75 and Eldorado in SPIU. One must exit the freeway onto the access road like normal and then must "exit" again to make the onto the crossroad. I’m sure they’re quite expensive and don’t integrate well with access roads. They’re my favorite type of interchange otherwise though.

There’s even a diverging diamond interchange/access road interchange at 121 and Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:47 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
It can also be done without a double exit, pass thru traffic would just have to wait at a signal.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:59 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The Good…
  • Can use them to bypass congested segments of freeway
  • Can be used in an emergency road closure as an alternative rather than diverting traffic down local roads
  • They allow yielding U-Turns
  • They follow a similar design state-wide making using them very predictable.

The Bad…
  • They make our freeways look very generic. Every highway looks the same
  • They mix high speed traffic with local traffic moving much slower creating conflict points
  • Traffic signals follow a similar basic pattern for them state-wide, but they generally only allow one direction of travel flow at any given time. This causes bottle necks when trying to cross under a freeway.
  • They canabalize surrounding scenery with shops, businesses, restaurants, gas stations, apartments, ect.

Opinions on them?
I think the pros far out way the cons. Go up to Seattle and drive on those freeways you will come back and greatly appreciate the Texas freeway system... It is one of the most pleasant changes of moving here.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think the pros far out way the cons. Go up to Seattle and drive on those freeways you will come back and greatly appreciate the Texas freeway system... It is one of the most pleasant changes of moving here.
Used to live up there.

My biggest peeve with the Seattle freeways was no East / West connectivity from Bremerton to Seattle without a ferry. I kinda liked the I-5 Express Lanes. I-405 was a cluster f between South Center mall and Bellevue. Otherwise I didn’t mind driving in Seattle.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I hate them.

The only good things I can say about them is you can use them to skip traffic or accidents but that's it. Outside of them. I don't care for them.

I however do love the u-turns in Texas. Those are great. But the access roads welcomes blight, temporary stores, large ugly car lots, and can become mini freeways themselves. I think they have done irreparable damage to urban Texas.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:51 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Seattle isn't too bad imo. There's poorly designed urban freeway systems all over the country, but I don't think access roads really make a difference one way or the other (in terms of how they affect congestion/delay). I like driving the freeways in urban Florida much better than urban Texas and most of those don't have feeders.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:15 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
I don't care enough about the Texas scenery to do away with the functionality of the frontage roads and I don't care at all if all the high ways look identical. I didn't know they were controversial; my family from California, Seattle, Atlanta, and Colorado have always commented positively on them and wished they were more common back home. Also, most frontage roads are forty five miles per hour, is that really "too fast?"

Old 10-15-2021, 01:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
I don't care enough about the Texas scenery to do away with the functionality of the frontage roads and I don't care at all if all the high ways look identical. I didn't know they were controversial; my family from California, Seattle, Atlanta, and Colorado have always commented positively on them and wished they were more common back home. Also, most frontage roads are forty five miles per hour, is that really "too fast?"
The issue with the speed is not specifically that it's "too high", it's that in urban areas there's a high volume of traffic doing 50mph+ on them, and it can be unsafe / scary for those coming out of side streets or driveways from a dead stop.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
Out in the suburbs its not uncommon for them to be 55 to 60.. ..and its also not uncommon to find cars doing 70 on them, which is a real headache when pulling out of a strip center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas