Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:12 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
I easily agree. To those of us who have spent decades out here, it is no big deal. Transplants find it tough sometimes though.
I actually do find Amarillo to be a very underrated town. Its very diverse given the area of the country its in, has a solid bar and restaurant scene, and the areas to the Northwest and Southeast of it are pretty. Lake Meredith is a nice place too.

I personally dont gravitate towards Lubbock. Its just so dusty, so much more flat, and has fewer outdoor recreation opportunities. There really isnt a neighborhood like Wolflin there either. It does do a better job attracting national chains like Costco and touring concerts though.

Amarillo does get a LOT more snow than Lubbock though. That would be a negative for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 04:39 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I actually do find Amarillo to be a very underrated town. Its very diverse given the area of the country its in, has a solid bar and restaurant scene, and the areas to the Northwest and Southeast of it are pretty. Lake Meredith is a nice place too.

I personally dont gravitate towards Lubbock. Its just so dusty, so much more flat, and has fewer outdoor recreation opportunities. There really isnt a neighborhood like Wolflin there either. It does do a better job attracting national chains like Costco and touring concerts though.

Amarillo does get a LOT more snow than Lubbock though. That would be a negative for me.

I prefer Amarillo to Lubbock also, except when the wind shifted and the "smell of money" (manure) from the cattle yards north of town permeated my house...

Old 10-20-2021, 02:53 AM

223 posts, read 140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
My husband and I are sick of living in nanny state Maryland - we're red dots in a sea of blue - and even a lot of the other red dots are more purple (RINO), if you know what I mean? Or if not exactly purple (RINO), then at least repressed enough after decades of blue domination that they think either they can't do anything to make things more balanced or that the blue are actually okay. We also want to be able to afford to buy a home, and that's near-impossible in MD at our income level. So we're looking into red states like TX, OK, and FL. What are the pros and cons of living in TX? Where are some safe, conservative areas with good hands-on jobs that don't require a college degree and have affordable (under $200k) homes not in a manufactured homes park? Thanks.

I would look at places like Amarillo, Midland, Sweet Water if you are looking at West Texas.

In East Texas I would look at Tyler or Longview.

These are the most conservative parts of Texas with a blue collar labor pool. If you are into Trump you will fit in out in the sticks.

The large Texas cities are going to have more white collar jobs, and leftwing politics.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:59 AM

24 posts, read 27,984 times
Just a little FYI. Not all Californians are liberal. There are still many conservative-voting people who are native Californians and I am one of them.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
I am a mt biker and kayaker and found plenty of places to do both in Lubbock.

Believe it or not...mt bike trails in Lubbock and around Lubbock (Palo Duro) are WAY more challenging than the trails around Houston.

The dust in Lubbock is not that big of a deal, when you compare it to the rain in Houston. In Houston...it rains constantly and for days on end and you cannot do anything outdoors. Dust kicks up in Lubbock and is over in half a day and then you can go outside and do things again. I loved the lack of traffic and humidity as well.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 23,359 times
What are your thoughts about Sherman, TX? Realtor said we might be able to find something in our price range in that area and there are jobs.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
What are your thoughts about Sherman, TX? Realtor said we might be able to find something in our price range in that area and there are jobs.
I think at some point Dallas will exert more influence on that area. There is going to be good and bad that come with that based on your perspective (from what I can tell). There will be more opportunities for sure, but it will probably change from what it currently is in the years to come. That makes it a bit more unpredictable.

If you want to be not far from the DFW area, how about Weatherford? Very conservative and because its in the direction away from Dallas, it wont be subject to as much change. Another one for consideration may be a place like Hillsboro. DFW isnt growing as rapidly towards the south but its still close enough to get into Dallas or Fort Worth in just over an hour.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:03 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
If you want to be not far from the DFW area, how about Weatherford? Very conservative and because its in the direction away from Dallas, it wont be subject to as much change.
Weatherford is growing like crazy, so comparing Sherman to Weatherford, Weatherford is more of an upper class suburb to Ft Worth and Sherman is a stand-alone town, tied to Lake Texoma and the Oklahoma border and to Dallas, but far enough away to not be a suburb. 10 years from now, Weatherford is going to have a higher population.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Weatherford is growing like crazy, so comparing Sherman to Weatherford, Weatherford is more of an upper class suburb to Ft Worth and Sherman is a stand-alone town, tied to Lake Texoma and the Oklahoma border and to Dallas, but far enough away to not be a suburb. 10 years from now, Weatherford is going to have a higher population.
Uggghhh...I meant Mineral Wells not Weatherford.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 PM

16 posts, read 11,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Uggghhh...I meant Mineral Wells not Weatherford.
LOL! You couldn’t even name the right city and you are trying to give people advice?

You are in Houston via California. Mineral Wells and Weatherford are very different , please don’t give advice about regions you are clueless about. Anyone in that area would laugh at your post. You probably think Jacksboro can be confused for a sub division in DFW...

Also, DFW isn’t growing fast in the South? LOL! Mansfield, Burleson and Midlothian are exploding. You are not only ignorant, but continually talk about areas outside of your Houston bubble and look silly. Your post is LOL! What you really mean to say is no one wants to move to the South part of Dallas because of the crime and race of people. There, fixed it for you since you don’t live in the areas you talk about.

Last edited by TXCritter; 10-24-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas