Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 PM

23 posts, read 84,079 times

Advertisements

What is the cost of an automobile tag? Is personal property tax attached to the cost of the tag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
I don't understand. Why would property tax be attached to your auto registration?? I've never heard of that.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 AM

23 posts, read 84,079 times
When we lived in Mississippi, a personal property tax was charged for your automobile. It was collected at the time of your tag purchase. The tax for a nice car might be $1000 annually and varied by county. In Illinois, Georgia, Wisconsin and Tennessee the tag cost was very reasonable.We currently live in Florida and will soon be moving to La Grange. In Florida the tag cost $35. I wanted to know the cost in Texas.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
No, no "personal property tax" on cars in Texas. Dallas used to do this (I think they were the last city that did it), but they stopped in the late 1990s.

A regular car tag will vary by county. Mine in Tarrant County cost $65. Rural counties are cheaper.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmullen View Post
When we lived in Mississippi, a personal property tax was charged for your automobile. It was collected at the time of your tag purchase. The tax for a nice car might be $1000 annually and varied by county. In Illinois, Georgia, Wisconsin and Tennessee the tag cost was very reasonable.We currently live in Florida and will soon be moving to La Grange. In Florida the tag cost $35. I wanted to know the cost in Texas.
I recently moved, but my old registration from Texas was forwarded to me (which I don't pay, since I am now a resident of NM, and have NM tags).

For my 2007 Chevy Trailblazer, $70.80.

There is no personal property tax charged on the car in that county. I don't know whether or not other counties still do this, as I once lived in an adjacent rural county that did charge.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmullen View Post
What is the cost of an automobile tag? Is personal property tax attached to the cost of the tag?
I have rental property in a west Texas Panhandle county that does indeed assess an annual county property tax on personal vehicles younger than ten years old. I have my own vehicles registered in New Mexico because that is where my primary home and residence is located. To my knowledge only a very small handfull of Texas counties have the authority from Austin to assess this tax. The tax can be significant I am told by my tenants and a new pickup truck can run as much as $400 a year plus the regular registration fees. I've heard locals complain about having to pay even more. I've searched the web unsuccessfully for any mention of this tax. Apparently the counties who have it want to keep it a secret.

My failure to mention my particular county is purposeful as my family are trying to sell our properties there and move our money somewhere else.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:01 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
I paid personal property tax 45 years ago in Denton County. It included furniture, autos, etc. I hope that tax is gone forever. I have never paid it anywhere else I have lived in Texas.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 15,677 times
I just got a bill for property tax on my vehicle. When i called Honda, they said I had paid it last year. I do not remember as that was when I was dealing with my mothers death. I do not understand why we have to pay property tax on a car. What's next? Property tax on clothing, furniture, tools/lawn equipment, etc.???

Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've never paid property tax on a vehicle, just on real estate. I didn't think that occurred anywhere in Texas (though some folks confuse the annual registration with property tax) for individuals, just businesses. Now I'm going to have to go research it!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DScan View Post
I just got a bill for property tax on my vehicle. When i called Honda, they said I had paid it last year. I do not remember as that was when I was dealing with my mothers death. I do not understand why we have to pay property tax on a car. What's next? Property tax on clothing, furniture, tools/lawn equipment, etc.???
Your post doesn't make much sense. Why would you call Honda on a tax matter?

As noted above - there have been times when certain taxing entities taxed personal property such as cars (and boats). But that is very unusual.

If you think this through - you would realize that a taxing entity would never be able to tax the items you listed. Vehicles are registered and their existence is very visible to the county. Just like homes and property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas