Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:56 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
...but true.

My mom is retired and living in LaGrange. That area is also full of ex oil biz people that left Houston to retire and brought their money with them. She originally wanted to retire west of Austin but the house and land prices out there were not do-able.

LaGrange and Bastrop are slowly inching up in pricing but not as fast as anything west of Austin or San Antonio. It will get there someday soon, though.

Other rural areas outside Houston have also become un-affordable like Brenham and most of Washington County.
The area between Houston and Austin has been appreciating rapidly. Probably not quite Hill Country expensive but on its way.

The places to look for rural affordability and a decent landscape are now the area between Bryan and Corsicana (though the towns can be dispiriting), East TX Piney Woods, and (maybe?) Bosque / Coryell / Hamilton counties just north of the Hill Country - though I haven't examined pricing there so it could be too late there also.

Lavaca, Gonzales and DeWitt counties may be OK too, as they are more off-the-radar than La Grange and Brenham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 08:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Well, that little town looks poverty-stricken without any amenities.
Not hardly a likely destination for well off retirees.
San Saba is a step up.
I was making a joke.

I am a big fan of both of those towns, San Saba and Cherokee. Wouldn't mind living in either one. I hope they don't become like the towns nearby that have been taken over.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The area between Houston and Austin has been appreciating rapidly. Probably not quite Hill Country expensive but on its way.

The places to look for rural affordability and a decent landscape are now the area between Bryan and Corsicana (though the towns can be dispiriting), East TX Piney Woods, and (maybe?) Bosque / Coryell / Hamilton counties just north of the Hill Country - though I haven't examined pricing there so it could be too late there also.

Lavaca, Gonzales and DeWitt counties may be OK too, as they are more off-the-radar than La Grange and Brenham.

Pretty sure everything north of say Burnet or so is pretty cheap.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
Quote:

East of I-45 has plenty of small towns that I would add to your "dispiriting" list. People in that area remind me of the movie "Slingblade" LOL

Yes, the are between Austin and Houston IS appreciating but some are not really growing much at all like La Grange and Columbus. They do not look anything like Brenham or Elgin. Areas between Austin and Houston that are climbing are Bastrop and Round Top.

I am sure LaGrange will begin going up soon - it is a nice little town that in in a pretty area. Glad I bought property in Fayette County before the rush. LOL

Old 01-06-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
East of I-45 has plenty of small towns that I would add to your "dispiriting" list. People in that area remind me of the movie "Slingblade" LOL

Yes, the are between Austin and Houston IS appreciating but some are not really growing much at all like La Grange and Columbus. They do not look anything like Brenham or Elgin. Areas between Austin and Houston that are climbing are Bastrop and Round Top.

I am sure LaGrange will begin going up soon - it is a nice little town that in in a pretty area. Glad I bought property in Fayette County before the rush. LOL
The town of La Grange itself may not be growing much, but the rural areas around it have been hot. It's easy to find fancy new builds on acreage sites around there.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:43 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
Quote:
The town of La Grange itself may not be growing much, but the rural areas around it have been hot. It's easy to find fancy new builds on acreage sites around there.

True. I travel all over Fayette County and the homes and barndos going up around Round Top and between Fayetteville and Bellville are pretty nice and more keep getting built every year.

Glad I bought my property in 2004...today's prices per acre are crazy high.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
True. I travel all over Fayette County and the homes and barndos going up around Round Top and between Fayetteville and Bellville are pretty nice and more keep getting built every year.

Glad I bought my property in 2004...today's prices per acre are crazy high.
Yes you definitely timed it well!

Old 01-06-2022, 07:54 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I was making a joke.

I am a big fan of both of those towns, San Saba and Cherokee. Wouldn't mind living in either one. I hope they don't become like the towns nearby that have been taken over.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I love the area around Austin and San Antonio but between water issues and affordability I took it off my list and am staying put in the Tyler area.

Where I live is an hour and a half from Dallas and it's not yeehaw or "Slingblady" at all. Tyler is a cosmopolitan little city and the metro area has about 225,000 people in it. I go to Dallas about 8 times a year and I always enjoy myself but am always glad to get back home. I also go to Houston occasionally (about three hours away) and Austin about once a year (about 5 hours away).

My house appraises at around $315,000 and it's 2200 square feet on a spacious lot in a subdivision of similar homes.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:07 AM

278 posts, read 216,787 times
Well the cool news is that it actually sold, it was not a crazy listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas