Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Wow! What an awesome post! You got yourself some rep points for this one. I really need to find that book---I would LOVE to read it.
I feel deep inside that I'm a Texan-- my family just forgot to move South
Thank YOU in turn for your nice post and words!

Here is a link to the book, by the way. Hope it helps:

Amazon.com: Cracker Culture: Celtic Ways in the Old South: Grady McWhiney: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thank YOU in turn for your nice post and words!

Here is a link to the book, by the way. Hope it helps:

Amazon.com: Cracker Culture: Celtic Ways in the Old South: Grady McWhiney: Books
Thanks for this link...going to look for it today!
THL: Any books that you can recommend on Texas history?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
[i]

It is the very act of insisting that Texas is a Southern state, dismissing Germans Spanish, French, Indian, influences as being minor in comparison to the influence of the South, that is rude and unfriendly.
I don't dismiss it. I simply say that some influences are overwhelmingly dominating. In this case, the influence of anglo/black Southerners on Texas and its history and culture. So now, are you saying, the TRUTH (or how it is perceived".. is "rude and unfriendly"?) Forgive me, but that seems the stuff of political correctness....

Quote:
TexReb, I don't take it personally. I do find your particular insistence, depending on my mood, irritating, amusing, interesting - and I do think that it should be clarified as your opinion.
That it is my opinion only is nothing I have ever maintained otherwise. Nothing interesting or strange about it

Quote:
So, most Texans would agree that they are not Southern?
Actually, according to the latest cultural sociological surveys done on the subject, most Texans DO identify with being in the South and thinking of themselves as Southerners.

Quote:
However, if you look at the influences that went to make up Texas (which is a very large state), you'll find that while there's a Southern influence, absolutely, there are many other contributors to our culture, which is, to use a term I used earlier, "gumbo" made up of all those influences.
No argument there. I never made one otherwise. I like and appreciate all the variations in Texas. BUT...there is always a dominating influence, whether it be within a state or down to a family unit. Southern is the prevailing one in Texas.

Quote:
It's really not so simple as "Texas is a Southern state" or "Texas is NOT a Southern state" - it's much more complicated than that.
Of course it is. When did I argue otherwise? I use the adjective "essentially" (a Southern state) deliberately and carefully. You seem to be the one making this much more complicated than it is.

Quote:
And, yes, you should read some books on Texas history. Doing so will explain much, I think.
Now, THIS, is extremely condecending and patronizing. If I didn't get an outright laugh out of it, I would think it rude and uncalled for, don't you think? Are you suggesting that I need to read Texas history (or geography, or culture, etc) books, in order to catch up with your own knowledge of the subject? I would never question yours...why do you mine? This, in my honest opinion, goes back to what I said earlier. That you take disagreement personal. I don't.

But if so, wellll, ok...I will just leave it to the verdict of others on the forum. It seems to me you more vehemently object to Texas being classified as Southern than I do for it being. Why not just agree to disagree? I haven't picked any fight with you over this....

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-17-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Now, what was the title of this thread?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Now, what was the title of this thread?
LOL Sorry. My answer is yes!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM

TexasReb: I think THL was referring to me when she suggested reading up on Texas history after I had made the statement that I really should read up on Texas history. And I agree...I should.

...."And, yes, you should read some books on Texas history. Doing so will explain much, I think..." (THL's quote!)

Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this link...going to look for it today!
THL: Any books that you can recommend on Texas history?
I will send you a list of books that I would personally recomend, and I am sure others will too!

As a little related tangent to the Celtic book by McWhiney? This relates to the topic, and I found extremely interesting. I CAN'T -- for the life of me -- remember where I placed the study, nor the title of it -- but it DOES exist! LOL

Anyway, some years back a couple of college professors conducted a "participant" study. The conclusion was that Southerners (defined as the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky and Oklahoma) were more prone to react "violently" (but that did not always mean PHYSICALLY) than those from other parts of the country when confronted with provocative situations.

The details are too lenghty to get into here (and I will try and find the study) but one aspect of it that was always a bit facinating to me was a simple quetion (the study was concluded by both answers and real time reactions).

Here is it...paraphrased of course (and tell me how y'all would reply):

SCENARIO: You are playing a board game, or cards, with a friend. Something happens in which he calls you a cheater/liar/SOB...and then strikes a blow.

QUESTION: Later, he apologizes for all of it. Would you be more likely to forgive the insult, or the punch?

Southerners were far more prone to say they would forgive the punch than the insult.

I agree with this. What say y'all?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
TexasReb: I think THL was referring to me when she suggested reading up on Texas history after I had made the statement that I really should read up on Texas history. And I agree...I should.

...."And, yes, you should read some books on Texas history. Doing so will explain much, I think..." (THL's quote!)
Thanks for pointing that out. Texas Horse Lady? I stand by everything else, but apologize sincerely if I misunderstood!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is it...paraphrased of course (and tell me how y'all would reply):

SCENARIO: You are playing a board game, or cards, with a friend. Something happens in which he calls you a cheater/liar/SOB...and then strikes a blow.

QUESTION: Later, he apologizes for all of it. Would you be more likely to forgive the insult, or the punch?

Southerners were far more prone to say they would forgive the punch than the insult.

I agree with this. What say y'all?

Hmmm, must be my northern breeding but I would probably forgive the insult before the punch. Maybe it has something to do with me being a woman as well.

I look forward to receiving your list of recommended books on Texas history

Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, must be my northern breeding but I would probably forgive the insult before the punch. Maybe it has something to do with me being a woman as well.

I look forward to receiving your list of recommended books on Texas history
You bet I will! Give me just a little bit of time to do it, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas