Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
Sharyland only has one HS. Point blank the valley is ghetto! Yes Sharyland is nice with a few rich families(business owners), but anywhere else outside of Shary road is not. If you never leave the valley, it's the best place ever. Leave and you will never willingly go back(unless you want to live a cheap, laid back lifestyle). I refuse to go to the movies in the valley. People are using their walky talky phones during the movie and talking loudly in Spanish. Don't say I'm a racist... I'm Mexican myself, but I would never live in the Valley. I feel like I'm in Mexico when I'm in the valley and not the resort areas.
It's simple, if you dont like it stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 55,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatethevalley View Post
<P>don't ever ever ever move to the rio grande valley, the only thing it's better than is mexico, which isn't saying much.&nbsp; we are down here for my husband's job and i can't wait to leave.&nbsp; it's crazy that people from the valley think it's so great and this is what america has to offer, it's not america down here, it's a glorified mexico.&nbsp; drug issues everywhere, horrible schools, pathetic excuses for colleges, shopping is the only recreational activity important to the people of the valley, good luck finding a real park with actual grass and trees, you can take the highway from the west part of the valley in mission all the way to the east past harlingen and you'll feel like you are going in circles b/c all you will see are endless signs for chilis, HEB, lowes, target, walmart, home depot, best buy, ect.&nbsp;&nbsp; that's all they can offer down here.&nbsp; it's crowded with plenty of illegal drivers, illegal mexicans, and mexican drivers who drive freely down the streets w/o insurance to cover your repair costs of your bumber after they hit you.&nbsp; the police are corrupt, actually i can't think of one person i've talked to who doesn't know a family member not selling/doing drugs, stealing identities to get their double wide trailor loan apporved, stealing money from college funded scholarships to send their friends on european vacations, ect.&nbsp; i am disgusted with life down here.&nbsp; run as fast as you can the other way, you'll be glad you did!</P>
Thank you so much for your post Ihatethevalley. It is nice to know I am not the only one stuck in this hell hole because of a husband's job. The Rio Grande Valley is not Texas. This place is miserable and lacking in hope. I thought there was something wrong with me until I spent the weekend in Fredericksburg, TX and my mood improved. Upon returning to the valley I am again sad and constantly disappointed by what I see around me. This place is only great if you have lived here your whole life and know nothing else (which constitutes the majority). Life is good. Just not 7 miles north of Mexico. It's a sad and conflicted place suffering from an identity crisis.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonAllHope View Post
Thank you so much for your post Ihatethevalley. It is nice to know I am not the only one stuck in this hell hole because of a husband's job. The Rio Grande Valley is not Texas. This place is miserable and lacking in hope. I thought there was something wrong with me until I spent the weekend in Fredericksburg, TX and my mood improved. Upon returning to the valley I am again sad and constantly disappointed by what I see around me. This place is only great if you have lived here your whole life and know nothing else (which constitutes the majority). Life is good. Just not 7 miles north of Mexico. It's a sad and conflicted place suffering from an identity crisis.

es por que antes el valle no era en tejas... era Tamaulipas... y fredericksburg? era en la estado de Coahuila y Tejas.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM

78 posts, read 247,405 times
Well said Texan55, yes our culture is different and hispanic, but what do you expect since we were once a part of Spain and Mexico?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,953 times
Hi, guys. I'm thinking of moving to the Valley and was wondering: How would life in the Valley treat a down-to-earth, gay, laid back hippie? I'm thinking of moving to McAllen to be closer to my family. I lived there as a kid and only have fond memories, and I've since been living in Austin and Canada. I still have friends down there, but I imagine things have changed a lot! How are the jobs there? I speak Spanish, by the way. Thanks for your time and input!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Default Double Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Hi, guys. I'm thinking of moving to the Valley and was wondering: How would life in the Valley treat a down-to-earth, gay, laid back hippie? I'm thinking of moving to McAllen to be closer to my family. I lived there as a kid and only have fond memories, and I've since been living in Austin and Canada. I still have friends down there, but I imagine things have changed a lot! How are the jobs there? I speak Spanish, by the way. Thanks for your time and input!
You might want to come down for an extended visit before moving. I came to the valley excited and with a great attitude to help in the field of human services. This is a tough place. Not many smiles. Not many hippies. And not many gays. I am a liberal hippy myself and if it were not for the UU of Hidalgo County I would not make it down here on a weekly basis. Best of luck to you

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
I want to chime in here. When people say that "The Valley" is not Texan, I fully disagree. I remember the first time I rode down into the Valley coming from Louisiana via Houston, as we passed the green, rainy, humid Gulf Coastal plains and the landscape changed sharply south of Corpus Christi, the sky turned blue and the sun beat down, the grass disappeared and cactus appeared, along with palm trees and citrus groves, and I truly felt like I was going someplace magical. I felt like I was seeing the "real" Texas.

Now that Spring Break trip to South Padre Island is a bit of a blur, but I do know that we had a great time there. If I lived down there, though, I would live directly on S. Padre Island, but I'm a bit of a beach bum myself.

When I hear there's not much to do, all I can say is there are the best beaches in Texas right at your doorstep, Schlitterbahn has opened a new park there, and Mexico is nearby. I still remember my first time to Mexico, walking the streets of Matamoros with my roommate. I bought a bottle of tequila with a worm for a very cheap price and a hammock that I got ripped off on. I only found out about the hammock because after I bought it another Mexican tried to sell me another hammock for 1/4 the price (this is after I had already haggled half off on my original purchase). Oh well, lessons learned when you're young, huh?

I have nothing but fond memories of the Valley.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 37,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonAllHope View Post
You might want to come down for an extended visit before moving. I came to the valley excited and with a great attitude to help in the field of human services. This is a tough place. Not many smiles. Not many hippies. And not many gays. I am a liberal hippy myself and if it were not for the UU of Hidalgo County I would not make it down here on a weekly basis. Best of luck to you

Hey maybe we can form a growing group of liberal hippy moving to McAllen. I am looking at moving my family down and checking out UU of Hidalgo online. Can you give me more info about the church community?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Default Uuhc

It is a small fellowship located in San Juan, TX (near the basilica actually). People for PEace and Justice meet there regularly as well as PFLAG. The majority of members are transplants like myself as well as Winter Texans. We have potlucks, guest lecturers, and interim ministers. The fellowhip has been a stimulating and refreshing experience where I can go and receive from fellow human beings (and intelligent English speaking ones) what the despair of the valley can suck out of you over the course of a week. Definitely check out the website and stop in for a visit if ever in the area Wish I could join you in your movement but I have one foot out the door already. Just finishing up some studies at Pan Am and we are leaving to find where we belong, because it is definitely not down here. Best of luck to you twins07.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 17,997 times
..blah blah blah..the valley may not be Reynosa but compared to other cities in Texas such as Austin, Houston, and Dallas , it ( honestly) has that connotation to it, anyway born and raised here in the valley..has it pros and cons.. the pros are its not super small but not quite a big city neither( if you like that) it has the beach, and the economy is way cheap compared to a more upscale metropolitan area..cons( although their are plenty nice people , plenty are very much ignorant && biased, ((a lot of them don't notice it bcus of their lack of education, besides that not badd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas