Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 44,521 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm thinking on moving to texas, specially in the Rio Grande Valley. I would like to know which city is the best in all general aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM

3,242 posts, read 5,577,723 times
Do you speak Spanish? You'll need to. The area is quite depressed from illegal immigration and all civic responsibilities are strained......including healthcare! (Although if you're a nurse they have great sign-on/recruitment bonuses).

And are you aware of the drug wars going on with incursions by Mexican drug cartels into South Texas?

Old 05-11-2006, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 44,521 times
Thanks for the information. The only thing I know about that place is the manufacturing and industrial companies over there like the "maquiladoras". I'm currently working as an IT consultant specializing with databases and applications design for the manufacturing industry. So maybe there are a lot of opportunities down there. I'm also thinking of Houston. But I prefer small cities, pacific areas. Which big or small city do you recommend? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex
Do you speak Spanish? You'll need to. The area is quite depressed from illegal immigration and all civic responsibilities are strained......including healthcare! (Although if you're a nurse they have great sign-on/recruitment bonuses).

And are you aware of the drug wars going on with incursions by Mexican drug cartels into South Texas?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:19 PM

3,242 posts, read 5,577,723 times
Technology based jobs should be pretty well around the population centers with Austin and Dallas heading that up as Houston is still the energy capital (not to say there isn't IT stuff out the wazoo there too)!

Corpus Christi is nice with clean beaches and the Padre Island Nat'l Seashore nearby. San Antonio is building quite a manufacturing base also (Toyota building a major facility there).

I have chosen to stay away from major met areas because of traffic issues even though I could probably make 10-15% more there. I live in a rural area and commute 50 miles to work (in Beaumont). If I were to move to another part of Texas I think I would go either to the Tyler area or Temple area.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:31 PM

21 posts, read 109,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariasl00
Thanks for the information. The only thing I know about that place is the manufacturing and industrial companies over there like the "maquiladoras". I'm currently working as an IT consultant specializing with databases and applications design for the manufacturing industry. So maybe there are a lot of opportunities down there. I'm also thinking of Houston. But I prefer small cities, pacific areas. Which big or small city do you recommend? thanks.
This is a misconception... Those happen in Laredo, not the valley.

Not much to do in the valley tho honestly, which may be both good and bad.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,874,069 times
Brownsville, Harlingen and McAllen would be your choices in the valley but frankly, unless there's serious hazard pay involved, I don't know that anyone in IT voluntarily relocates there.
Not that it's a bad place or anything, you'll have South Padre Island at your doorstep with all the touristy things to do and can go across the border for even more enlightened night entertainment but there's nothing else to do.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariasl00
Hi

I'm thinking on moving to texas, specially in the Rio Grande Valley. I would like to know which city is the best in all general aspects.

If it were left up to me, I'd choose Mission or McAllen. I lived in the valley one summer (McAllen CC condo) while I was doing graduate work at PanAM (Edinburg). I left as fast as I could, and have never been back...and have no desire to ever go back. I speak Spanish, too. It's HOT and humid, very tropical.

Not my thing for sure, though I thought it was.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,217,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex
San Antonio is building quite a manufacturing base also (Toyota building a major facility there).
San Antonio also has a large and fastly growing tech industry.

You have Rackspace which is based in San Antonio and currently hiring 700 people. Not to mention the NSA's major expansion that will bring 2,000 jobs.

Also, San Antonio has a large growing data center industry and is expected to land a 1 billion dollar Microsoft data center.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:05 PM

130 posts, read 870,119 times
Hazard pay?? you guys listen to the media crap too much. I am a white guy and have lived here 2 years and have never had any problems!! Now, what more could I do to be a target?? Crime here is over exaggerated. Mostly theft and burglary!!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 54,126 times
Default Moving to RGV

I would reccommend some of the smaller towns.. cuz there so close to the city of Mcallen.. you would just be paying more rent to be near all the noise. But ConanS is right alot of people over exaggerate the crime in the area... they watch the news too much... i will admit though people do drive like idots here. have good full coverage car insurance.......But i have never been mugged, beaten or anything like that. even with all the times i went drinking in mexico as a teenager and some how found my way back. LOL My house has been burglarized they just got the tv.. but that kinda my fault ( no fence or dog and the door was unlocked oOOPpps)..

Last edited by AlamoGirl; 08-28-2006 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas