Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Party politics is a function of race and education. If you're white and didn't go beyond high school you are most likely a Republican. Texas isnt a great state for education.

Democrats make the mistake of assuming Hispanics all vote Democratic but once again those with less education and poorer jobs are more likely to vote GOP. They dont read Forbes and the many publications that say we need more immigration to keep up with China (google it) - uneducated people worry "they will take my job"

It wasn't always like this- before 2000 the GOP was the party with higher educational attainment.

Texas will stay red.
I'm going to guess you don't know that many hispanics if you really think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 06:22 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I go to bars almost every night and am constantly meeting people. Very few democrats. I suppose they could all be staying home because they are still afraid of covid.
That’s probably just who you draw to you. If you’re talking about politics with strangers, anyone within earshot who disagrees with you won’t bother visiting with you.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'm going to guess you don't know that many hispanics if you really think this.

No kidding!

Many Hispanics in my hood and most that I know vote red and many have college degrees. Again...you don't know many of those people! LOL

This seems to be a big mis-belief on the left...that only uneducated people vote red.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
No kidding!

Many Hispanics in my hood and most that I know vote red and many have college degrees. Again...you don't know many of those people! LOL

This seems to be a big mis-belief on the left...that only uneducated people vote red.
We can only go based off statistics.

It is very uncommon for foreign born Hispanics who are American citizens to vote red unless they are Cuban or Venezuelan.

It is also uncommon for 1st generation Hispanics to vote red.

It is however, VERY common for 2nd generation and onward Hispanic to vote red.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
We can only go based off statistics.

It is very uncommon for foreign born Hispanics who are American citizens to vote red unless they are Cuban or Venezuelan.

It is also uncommon for 1st generation Hispanics to vote red.

It is however, VERY common for 2nd generation and onward Hispanic to vote red.

That seems to be the demographic of my Hispanic neighbors.

One owns a sprinkler system business, one is a plumber and the other owns a small tire shop. All are at least 2nd generation Americans. They are hard working, go-getter types that want to live free and do not want the govt messing with them. I would say by the conversations I have had with them...they lean like I do and are not really hardcore GOP-ers but center-right libertarian types.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:39 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Democrats’ Worst Nightmare Is Coming True In Texas
https://dailycaller.com/2022/04/06/g...exas-midterms/

Old 04-10-2022, 03:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Well said.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:06 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyeverbodywants View Post
That Flores woman is a little racist for my taste when saying that "they need to be represented by somebody that looks like them". As a Mex-American, I resent that way of thinking. I don't care if the politician is Anglo, black, Asian or Hispanic as long as I like them and they represent my interests. I think that Dems would be stronger if they would stop catering to the illegals and showering them with benefits at the taxpayer' expense.

Dem politicians were too cowardly to go door-knocking during Covid, letting their guard down and allowing the Repubs (who weren't afraid of no covid) get in there and take over. That was a Dem miscalculation. It's also dumb footed to try to get rid of Rep Henry Cuellar, a loyal Dem who can win the district. Why won't they listen to him?!!!
Hahaha ...well with all do respect. GOP is just finally playing the (If you cant beat em join em.) game. The democrats have been operating on identity politics for years it is their bread and butter playbook. Then Trump came a long and muddied the waters.
I am proud of you and respect that you don't fall for it. I want a politician that represents everyone's interest . Gas prices, grocery prices, individual rights, freedom and liberty don't care if you are Anglo, black ,Asian or Hispanic either.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I want a politician that represents everyone's interest . Gas prices, grocery prices, individual rights, freedom and liberty don't care if you are Anglo, black ,Asian or Hispanic either.
It's a little hypocritical for GOPers to tout "my body, my choice" on masks but not on abortion. It was sly for Abbott to say that COVID card checks infringe on privacy but his bounty-hunter $10,000 "reward" law (what happened to frivolous lawsuits clogging the courts?) for abortion help isn't infringing on liberty and Big Government intrusion.

Texans are smarting up about the double-speak coming from these dictators. Public health was a local matter due to the variations on the spread of contagion, until Big Government Abbott decided to unilaterally usurp local control (which they once decried 25 years ago before Texas became reliably red).

Also the 15-year electric company bailout, financed by Wall Street, isn't helping with increased electric rates and no infrastructure improvements. (Your Generac won't save you when it's stalled by choked-off NG supplies in the next freeze!)

Old 04-15-2022, 09:40 AM

I wrote the below in another thread. My point in doing so was to call BS on the notion that transplants who move to Texas are more conservative than native Texans. The DMN did a small poll which suggested that, but I think the below data shows clearly that its wrong. This is not my way of arguing that Texas is turning blue (because I dont really think it is now that the Valley is moving to the right) or that some people dont move to Texas because it is Republican (because some do), but I do think that transplants are MORE not less liberal than native Texans.

Here is a complete picture of who moves to Texas.

First lets look at the break down of people in Texas by place of birth as of 2020:

Total Population: 28,635,442
Residents Born in Texas: 17,091,108
Residents Born in Northeastern States: 800,290
Residents Born in Midwestern States: 1,639,615
Residents Born in Other Southern States: 2,239,236
Residents Born Western States: 1,591,122

Total Born in Other States: 6,270,418 or 21.9. In 2010, that number 5,389,303. Texas grew by 881,115 new American residents born out of state in 10 years.

Residents Born in Puerto Rico: 90,410
Residents who are Foreign Born: 4,822,952. In 2010 that number was 3,913,577. Texas grew by 909,375 new foreign born residents in 10 years.

That means more international immigrants came to Texas than did people from other parts of the US. To add an extra layer of complexity to is, only 51,211 (or 5.6%) of those came from Mexico. El Salvador and Honduras both had more.
The largest immigrant group to Texas in those 10 years was India with 130,635 new residents.

The question now becomes where in Texas those new residents moving. This is broken down by metro area. Since this thread is about politics, Ill show how many people per region moved in in the 10 year span.

Austin Metro Area - total population growth 2010-2020: 567,082
Born in Northeast Growth: 31,576
Born in Midwest Growth: 40,740
Born in other Southern States Growth: 43,973
Born in Western States Growth: 63,765
Foreign Born Growth: 87,146
Born in other parts of the US, percent of total population 2020: 29.2%
Foreign Born, percent of total population 2020: 14.8%

Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Area - total population growth 2010-2020: 1,270,845
Born in Northeast Growth: 48,365
Born in Midwest Growth: 67,979
Born in other Southern States Growth: 87,183
Born in Western States Growth: 109,548
Foreign Born Growth: 311,047
Born in other parts of the US, percent of total population 2020: 25.9%
Foreign Born, percent of total population: 18.5%

Houston Metro Area - total population growth 2010-2020: 1,201,854
Born in Northeast Growth: 25,188
Born in Midwest Growth: 42,590
Born in Other Southern States Growth: 47,900
Born in Western States Growth: 65,619
Foreign Born Growth: 389,854
Born in other parts of the US, percent of total population 2020: 20.6%
Foreign Born, percent of total population: 23.3%

San Antonio Metro Area - total population growth 2010-2020: 415,635
Born in Northeast Growth: 9,075
Born in Midwest Growth: 14,469
Born in Other Southern States Growth: 31,166
Born in Western States: 47,713
Foreign Born Growth: 56,556
Born in other parts of the US, percent of total population: 11.6%
Foreign Born, percent of total population: 11.6%

I put all of those numbers together to show that its pretty much the major urban areas in Texas drive all the growth. These four urban areas grew 3,445,416 in those ten years while the state total was 3,999,994. That's 86.4% of the total state growth. When we look at where Americans from outside of Texas actually moved, 776,849 of the 881,849 (88%) new residents moved to Austin, DFW, Houston, or the San Antonio metro areas. Internationally, its really just about Houston and DFW. Houston accounted for 42.9% of Texas' total international growth. DFW had 34.2%. Austin had 9.6% and San Antonio had 6.2%.

With this data in mind we can look at the political landscape of Texas and the effect it has on politics.

Travis, Denton, Williamson, Collin, and Tarrant Counties gained more American transplants than any other counties in Texas. These are good to look at for a case study. Travis County is traditionally liberal and urban, Collin and Denton are traditionally conservative and suburban, Williamson is suburban and center, and Tarrant is more urban/suburban mix and center right to conservative. Travis County gained 94,988, Tarrant County gained 78,474, Denton County gained 80,442, Collin County gained 71,933 and Williamson gained 62,504. These 5 counties alone accounted for 37% of Texas' total transplant growth. In the case of Collin, Denton, and Williamson county, in migration was higher than natural growth.

So if the theory is that transplants are making the state MORE conservative (as is tossed around based on a poll by the Dallas Morning News), these counties should be trending to the right. And they arent...AT ALL. Tarrant and Williamson counties went blue, Travis went more blue, and Collin and Denton counties went red by 51% and 53% respectively when they had been red by over 65% and 64% in 2012.

So what parts of Texas are going more red? The places where there are very few transplants from other parts of the US such as the Rio Grande Valley, the Texas Panhandle, and Deep East Texas.

This alone disproves the idea that transplants to Texas are making Texas MORE red. It doesnt pass the smell test and the poll is for clicks and fodder.

My point out of all of this is that:

1) This is a complex issue and people want simple answers. A poll will give you simple answers and they are mostly incorrect or incomplete. Multi layers of data are needed to show where Texas is actually headed.
2) People move to Texas for a myriad of reasons and some do move for conservative politics. Many others move with no mind of politics at all.
3) Politics is a mailable thing. No one though that the RGV would pull hard right of the suburbs of DFW, Austin, and Houston would pull hard left (relatively to where they were in both cases). Drawing firm conclusion based on that is pretty ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas