Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 08:01 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
We know if there were any they would certainly be put out there front and center by the media... Any politician looking for the center isn't coming from the right to the democrat party.
Lots of people have switched parties over the last 10 years. I dont know why on earth there seems to be so much denial about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 12:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lots of people have switched parties over the last 10 years. I dont know why on earth there seems to be so much denial about it.
If that's the case should be pretty quick and easy to provide ... Do you have a link of a Texas Republican becoming a Democrat recently?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
If that's the case should be pretty quick and easy to provide ... Do you have a link of a Texas Republican becoming a Democrat recently?
Im talking about individual people. Are you only talking about politicians?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
A great article in Texas Monthly about who is moving to Texas and the make-up of some of our burbs and urban areas.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...-who-are-they/

While you read this...take notice of the CA transplant's reasons for moving here.

NONE of their reasons were, because they wanted to live in a bluer Texas...not one. Not one mentioned the wonderfulness of leftist/blue policies at all.

This speaks volumes...

Old 11-16-2021, 12:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
I used to listen to radio grifter, mark levin. I remember him saying not long ago that Virginia used to be a solid red state, but had become purple recently. He then expressed displeasure with that and mentioned that it could switch back to red with some work. Virginias never been solid blue, its a purple state much like Florida

Btw, Texas is about to pass California for covid deaths, and a cold winter might be coming soon. That's not good news for republicans. It'd be hard for people to overlook yet another freeze
Virginia is blue because of NOVA and to a smaller extent, Richmond and Tidewater. But NOVA is decisively blue and tips the state blue. Texas suburban areas aren't near that. But yeah, VA is just blue. Not solidly blue but blue.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
A great article in Texas Monthly about who is moving to Texas and the make-up of some of our burbs and urban areas.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...-who-are-they/

While you read this...take notice of the CA transplant's reasons for moving here.

NONE of their reasons were, because they wanted to live in a bluer Texas...not one. Not one mentioned the wonderfulness of leftist/blue policies at all.

This speaks volumes...
Not one huh? They interviewed every single transplant that moved here?

Old 11-16-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Im talking about individual people. Are you only talking about politicians?
The link I posted was of an elected democrat in the Texas Legislature switching parties. That is relevant in this thread which is based on another Texas legislative seat flipping from long time democrat to Republican. Hence the title of the thread.
Obviously we could talk anecdotally all day long about our brother in laws sisters cousin who knew a guy that heard of someone who used to be a "staunch republican" but switched to democrat but it would be meaningless.
As I said if there were Republicans switching to democrats it would be Breaking headline news as evidence that Texas is turning blue And Beto would be slobbering all over them. Quite the contrary.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The link I posted was of an elected democrat in the Texas Legislature switching parties. That is relevant in this thread which is based on another Texas legislative seat flipping from long time democrat to Republican. Hence the title of the thread.
Obviously we could talk anecdotally all day long about our brother in laws sisters cousin who knew a guy that heard of someone who used to be a "staunch republican" but switched to democrat but it would be meaningless.
As I said if there were Republicans switching to democrats it would be Breaking headline news as evidence that Texas is turning blue And Beto would be slobbering all over them. Quite the contrary.
All you have to do is look at voting trends to see which areas are trending left and which are trending right. Texas was less Republican in the most recent election than it was since Nixon implemented the Southern Strategy. Why? The suburbs and urban areas. Thats hard data. If things were stagnantly red, there would be no need to gerrymander the districts so hard. Of course the Valley is becoming less blue. Who wins in the end? I dont know and neither do you so lets not pretend to.

Thats not to say people move here with the intent to vote blue. I didnt, but I got here, was appalled by the overly religious elements of the GOP in Texas so I do vote blue and will continue to until they stop pushing laws like the most recent abortion law. Thats the case with a LOT of transplants here. They dont have a set political ideology to push but we realize that being a Republican in Texas is a lot different than it is on the coasts so we have to adjust our votes accordingly. I voted red in most local elections in California. I wouldnt dream of it here.

Give me a Republican party that is simply good with low taxes and regulation and Ill vote for them. Once you get rid of the Bible-Thumping, Christian nationalist, and Trump style populism, Ill consider it.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is look at voting trends to see which areas are trending left and which are trending right. Texas was less Republican in the most recent election than it was since Nixon implemented the Southern Strategy. Why? The suburbs and urban areas. Thats hard data. If things were stagnantly red, there would be no need to gerrymander the districts so hard. Of course the Valley is becoming less blue. Who wins in the end? I dont know and neither do you so lets not pretend to.

Thats not to say people move here with the intent to vote blue. I didnt, but I got here, was appalled by the overly religious elements of the GOP in Texas so I do vote blue and will continue to until they stop pushing laws like the most recent abortion law. Thats the case with a LOT of transplants here. They dont have a set political ideology to push but we realize that being a Republican in Texas is a lot different than it is on the coasts so we have to adjust our votes accordingly. I voted red in most local elections in California. I wouldnt dream of it here.

Give me a Republican party that is simply good with low taxes and regulation and Ill vote for them. Once you get rid of the Bible-Thumping, Christian nationalist, and Trump style populism, Ill consider it.
Don't need to pretend. Thread isn't about your disdain for Texas Republicans or your bigotry toward Christianity. AGAIN... the fact is there has been a whole lot of talk , money and media pushing the democrat agenda that Texas is going Blue. I provide real examples that it just isn't so.. In fact democrat's literally turning red. Granted a lot can happen between now and 2022 and 24. Right now it does not look promising for democrats. We will see how the perennial loser Robert O'Rourke fares in the Governor's race, that will be a big indicator of where this state is headed... transplants and all.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Don't need to pretend. Thread isn't about your disdain for Texas Republicans or your bigotry toward Christianity. AGAIN... the fact is there has been a whole lot of talk , money and media pushing the democrat agenda that Texas is going Blue. I provide real examples that it just isn't so.. In fact democrat's literally turning red. Granted a lot can happen between now and 2022 and 24. Right now it does not look promising for democrats. We will see how the perennial loser Robert O'Rourke fares in the Governor's race, that will be a big indicator of where this state is headed... transplants and all.
No, you havent provided anything of the sort. What you have provided are very specific and anecdotal stories. You have not shown what percentage of Texas residents have shifted their voting patterns from one party to the other. Thats whats relevant.

Ive never said Texas is going blue. You have said Texas is becoming more red. The later isnt a true statement. Any sort of anecdotes you or I can provide dont matter. What does matter is voting patterns and data. Thats publicly available, though I guess youve never looked at it. AGAIN the trend in Texas is the same as it is in EVERY OTHER STATE. Urban areas and suburbs are going more blue and places with high levels of blue collar workers and smaller towns and cities are going more red.

And yeah, this isnt about how I feel about relgion but you did miss my larger point: being a Republican on the Coasts is not about religious affiliation whereas in Texas the two are intertwined. That turns a lot of transplants off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas