Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times

Advertisements

I've heard many people say they're rare or don't exist, but last night I was watching "King of the Hill." I looked carefully and saw plenty of sidewalks in Arlen, TX.

I know it's a cartoon, but it supposedly was based on ideas from a guy who lives in Texas. (Mike Judd?)

What about fences in the front yards like on the cartoon?

I think I've seen tall wooden board fences like in the cartoon on pictures of a Dallas neighbourhood. Are they common? That real-life neighbourhood picture I saw looked more like a military compound with the 5-7 foot high solid wood fences that lined the perimeter of every house in this Dallas sub-division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Oops, maybe I should have called it suburban TX.

(Arlen doesn't look very big, lol)

Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,055 times
Some of suburban Texas is without sidewalks, but it just depends on where you go. Austin is very pedestrian/cyclist-friendly and there are sidewalks, bike lanes, etc. almost everywhere you go. In fact, I haven't even seen a neighborhood in the suburbs here that didn't have sidewalks.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times
The show is making fun of Garland Texas its right outside of Dallas city lines on the Eastern side. Yes wood fences are the norm in Texas however not in the front yards. It was strange to me that the north did not have them! Most of the neighborhoods in Dallas that I grew up in and played in had sidewalks although not all. In San Antonio, I know a lot of older neighborhoods don't have sidewalks, some of the newer ones also don't have them. Most of San Antonio don't have alleys but we do have wood fences (majority that is)

Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
The show is making fun of Garland Texas its right outside of Dallas city lines on the Eastern side. Yes wood fences are the norm in Texas however not in the front yards. It was strange to me that the north did not have them! Most of the neighborhoods in Dallas that I grew up in and played in had sidewalks although not all. In San Antonio, I know a lot of older neighborhoods don't have sidewalks, some of the newer ones also don't have them. Most of San Antonio don't have alleys but we do have wood fences (majority that is)
We have wood fences too in some people's back yards, but they aren't solid looking; they built in an overlapping pattern with 1" air gaps between each board.

I couldn't believe the pictures I saw of nice 2 story homes surrounded by tall wood fences with their only openings a few feet on either side of the driveway; just like the cartoon.

Is it only like that in Garland?

Alleys in suburban areas? What are they put in or used for exactly?
(we have them sort of, but primarily downtown)

Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM

In Dallas area that I grew up in those solid type fences are everywhere. In San Antonio there are those overlapping type of fences (in the areas that were built in the 80s it seems. ) Post 1990 type homes it seems builders at least in my part of town went back to those solid type of fences. Alleys in the housing divisions are were the garages face and the garbage gets picked up in the back of the house. SA does not have a lot of alley ways. My hubby said that in King if the hill in the show where all the guys are standing around drinking beer and a garage if facing them they are in the alley.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 PM

If the garage faces the alley which is also supposed to be in the back of the house, what's in front of the houses?

We definitely don't have alleys. Nothing behind the house but a backyard. Our garbage is put out "by the curb" near the street.

My neighbourhood was built in the early 80's; maybe that explains the fences?

Wouldn't solid looking fences make more wind resistance, which might make it easier to blow down in a storm? Any ideas to why they're popular?

I myself sometimes like fences, but prefer "airy-looking" ones.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 PM

Front door on the street side with no cars except on the street! Its a nice look sometimes. Yeh it could make the fence blow down easier but we never had a problem with it. I like the solid ones.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
LOL!!! Well, I'm in Garland and have never watched the show. Not everyone in G-Town stands around in the yard drinking beer. The city is full of professionals and has some rather high end housing. We also have some areas that are not and then we have some beautiful areas of older ranch homes on large lots that back to creeks w/ large trees.

Homes in the 70's started having more rear entry garages and that is where the alley came into play. This is also when the 6' wooden fence became the norm. In my old neighborhood and in many post war neighborhoods in Dallas you will see front or side entry garages with the then typical 4' chain link fence. We had a few neighbors back then that would put up a wood fence. Every now and then even in new neighborhoods you will have the people that have no fence. Nowadays the only time you see front entry garages are when homes back to a golf course/greenbelt/park or the developer conned the city into allowing really small lots and homes. In homes w/ rear entry garages the front yard is all pretty much lawn and flower beds. Every neighborhood I've ever lived in had a front sidewalk. I like the rear entry garages so that the kids can ride their bikes on the front sidewalk and you don't have to worry about cars pulling into or backing out of drives or cars parked blocking a sidewalk.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
El Paso is famouse for its Rock Walls, we dont have wood Fences out this way, even though I have started to see a trend in hidng the rock wall with a wood fence or to add height to add privacy. El Paso, really does not have burbs.. well what I would consider a burb any ways.

All, ok well 98% of the houses in El Paso have a front drive and attached garage, most garages are now sunken dens lol.

how differant life is here than the rest of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas