Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks, I know there are a few other posts similar to this "help me decide which area....", (and I've read them and they have been helpful in many aspects), but I'm hoping to get an better idea and some recommendations based on my own set of unique needs/circumstance.

One thing is that I HAVE previously lived in Texas, for 11 years! (junior high to 24yrs old) in Tyler/East Texas and Dallas. My parents and other close family still live around there. But we are thinking slightly more south of where I used to live, and I'm definitely not very familiar with those areas. My husband and our 2 kiddos live in St Louis MO now and here are the reasons we want to move back:

1. Parents are getting older and I want to be closer to them (they are in Canton TX)
2. My husband is from Costa Rica and we want to be near/closer to an international airport that flies there direct (Houston), as we visit there frequently
3. This one might sound silly considering TX isn't known for it's beaches, but like mentioned above, hubs is from CR and he misses the ocean terribly and would LOVE to be within a 2-3 hour drive from a coast. We visited Galveston this past summer and explored the area as well as beaches more south, and from speaking to many of the local surf shops, learned that although limited, there are waves in Texas as well as a whole surf community (my hubs was an avid surfer).
4. This is a more recent reason that I never thought would influence my decision to move back, but living in St Louis MO during this Covid mess has really made me miss a more conservative and freedom-loving community. Although MO as a whole is conservative, StL city is very liberal and LOVES following strict rules with no questions asked.
For example, we are still under a mask mandate in the city for any indoors spaces, and although not required, it is the popular or "trendy" thing for restaurants to require proof of vax for people to dine in! Not to mention schools....not just all students, but even 4 and 5 years olds HAVE to wear masks in school AND during recess outside!!

Now I want to clarify this isn't about being red or blue. I have always disliked associating myself as either, I just want to be in community of like-minded individuals and free thinkers that value personal, God-given freedom/choice and don't stand for or idealize government involvement in your daily choices.

So that being said, these are the types of areas or locations we want to be in:

1- within a 1-4 hours from Canton TX
2- within a couple hours or less from Houston international airport
3- within a 2-3 hours from the coast
4- a town with tons of greenery, trees, parks, walk-able, outdoor stuff, outdoor festivals, farmers markets, music, stuff for kids, etc.. (a bike-able community would be a plus, but I know that isn't really found anywhere in TX, especially where we want to live)
5- not a tiny town, but for sure not the center of Houston (population of 60k-150k would be ideal I think, but smaller could be fine too as long is not super far from a bigger metro area)
6- a more conservative community
-or at least somewhere we don't have to wear a mask when we go to church
-my kids are not required to wear a mask at school
-your are not shunned by the mere mention of having the right to medical freedom or believing in natural immunity or the human immune system in general!
7- house rental or buying is not crazy expensive

These below are def great but not as important as
8- friendly Latin American community would be cool
9- a funky/crunchy/yoga/natural health vibe would be cool, but if at least is a place that I can find local farmers markets as mentioned above, that is good
10- Good fishing options nearby for the hubs (I think most of Texas has that tho right?)
11- Good place to raise a family of course, plus if there is a multi-cultural Spanish/English type school there, or a montessori school.

Work isn't as huge a factor as my husband is a painter/landscaper and can probably find a job most anywhere (if this isn't true lmk!). Although in Costa Rica he was a boat captain and so has that experience too (yet definitely not even being close to certified for any of that here). And when I work I am in the restaurant/hospitality industry and can probably find a job most places (places that have a decent farm-to-table food scene are a plus).

Here are some of the areas I've thought about (but again still don't know a ton about, just mainly for their size and location in relation to the first 3 points listed above): Waco, College Station, Conroe, The Woodlands, (but I think that is more expensive than we want and perhaps too close to Houston), Temple (but perhaps too close to Austin and too far from Canton and the coast)...

I know this is a lot of detail and asking a lot, but every time I start to research these areas in Texas I just get so overwhelmed because, well.... Texas is HUGE and there are literally hundreds of towns we could move to that might fit some of the above "wants", but there really is no way to know unless folks around are familiar with them! Which I'm hoping some of you are!

Thanks so much in advance for any info you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 11:43 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Canton to Galveston is a 4 hour drive. If you need to be closer to elderly parents, making a long drive frequently will wear you down. As far as beaches go, Galveston is the least nice. They get better as you go south, and South Padre Island is the best. Unfortunately it’s a very long drive away from Canton.

Most all of Texas is conservative outside of the big cities and the Rio Grande Valley. No mask mandates, etc.

Waco and Temple are too far west, so I’d take them off your list. Hwy 34 is not a great road due to lots of sand/gravel truck traffic, so I would avoid having to use that on a regular basis.

You’ll find Spanish-speaking people just about everywhere in Texas. Just about every town has a Mexican restaurant, and many of them have several!

Keep in mind that the small towns in Texas are just that: small. You won’t find yoga studios and Montessori schools in rural east Texas. You’ll be doing good to have one grocery store with fresh produce. Most county seats have a farmers market around the courthouse square at least one weekend a month.

What’s your budget for housing? Are you planning to buy or rent? Unfortunately the closer you get to big cities, the more expensive property prices and taxes are. If you’re willing to look at manufactured houses, you can save money, although they do depreciate and it is difficult to finance a used manufactured house.

Does DFW International Airport have direct flights to Costa Rica? That may be better than driving to Houston.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:53 PM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
I have lived in Latin America, St. Louis and Houston

I agree, I would look for something close to DFW
But if you want to be close to Houston,
I think your best choice is Conroe,TX which is in one of the most conservative counties in Texas and about one hour drive from Houston IAH airport
There’s also a lot of Hispanic people in Conroe
And you will be 3 hours away from Canton and 1.5 hours from Galveston

Old 01-02-2022, 02:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
As a caregiver for nearly 50 yrs... I vote be as close to those who need you as reasonably possible. Even 1 hour can be too far away during frequent needs / daily hospital and Dr appointments.

Use the coast / trips as getaways,

If multiple family is close to those in need, relocating them is not feasible.

Consider joining with family in buying a shared equity escape within 3 hrs. You all may need and enjoy it.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:35 PM

511 posts, read 399,227 times
Your best bet is Conroe based on your criteria.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,210,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As a caregiver for nearly 50 yrs... I vote be as close to those who need you as reasonably possible. Even 1 hour can be too far away during frequent needs / daily hospital and Dr appointments.

Use the coast / trips as getaways,

If multiple family is close to those in need, relocating them is not feasible.

Consider joining with family in buying a shared equity escape within 3 hrs. You all may need and enjoy it.
I completely agree. My parents lived in Richardson and I lived in Arlington. The drive wasn't manageable for me to go help them out and take care of my kids at the same time. When we moved to Fort Worth, we had my parents move to Fort Worth close by. I'm glad that I insisted that they do so because soon afterward, my father's health got worse and they needed my help even more.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:32 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
It sounds like it's been 20 years or more since you've lived in Tyler? Tyler has changed a lot. At least two large entertainment event centers for children. The Cowen Concert and Event Center, for adults, is on the campus of the University of Texas at Tyler, which is starting up a medical school, as well.

You know, Canton is 30-40 minutes away. Your parents would likely be coming to Tyler for medical care. You would be surprised how Tyler has become truly THE Medical Center of this part of the state.

Like others have said, use other areas as your "get-away point". Actually, DFW could be used often for almost any activity you want.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:33 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancelikedavid View Post
1. Parents are getting older and I want to be closer to them (they are in Canton TX)
Get a large paper map to write/draw on and you can pretty easily narrow down what your choices are.

Quote:
2. My husband is from Costa Rica and we want to be near/closer to an international airport that flies there direct (Houston), as we visit there frequently
OK, I went as far as to look for non-stop flights from DFW to Costa Rico . Your choices are DFw or IAH/Hobby(both Houston fields) . So you're looking at 2 hours from either City. Get on your (paper) map and draw a 2 hour circle.

Quote:
. This one might sound silly considering TX isn't known for it's beaches, but like mentioned above, hubs is from CR and he misses the ocean terribly and would LOVE to be within a 2-3 hour drive from a coast. We visited Galveston this past summer and explored the area as well as beaches more south, and from speaking to many of the local surf shops, learned that although limited, there are waves in Texas as well as a whole surf community (my hubs was an avid surfer).
3 hours is quite a ways but we'll say 150 miles from the coast so on your map draw a line roughly 150 miles from the coast and paralleling the coast. Use the map's legend to decide what 150 miles looks like. Texas beaches have a poor rep due to sediment from the Mississippi River and westerly oceanic currents sweeping all the sediment onto the coast here. That's why the further down the coast the better the beach conditions. (Sometimes weather conditions change those currents and the Galveston water will be blue and clear but not often).

Quote:
. This is a more recent reason that I never thought would influence my decision to move back, but living in St Louis MO during this Covid mess has really made me miss a more conservative and freedom-loving community. Although MO as a whole is conservative, StL city is very liberal and LOVES following strict rules with no questions asked.
For example, we are still under a mask mandate in the city for any indoors spaces, and although not required, it is the popular or "trendy" thing for restaurants to require proof of vax for people to dine in! Not to mention schools....not just all students, but even 4 and 5 years olds HAVE to wear masks in school AND during recess outside!!
Anywhere outside the metro areas will meet the "masks are dumb" and "fear the COVID is dumb too" criteria. Let me clarify that I just recently retired as a 30 year critical care RN, had the original virus acquired from caring for those COVID patients, was extremely sick for 2.5 months, and have had the infection probably 2 more times (09/21) and again this week which was probably the latest variant. In the last 2 weeks all three of my 20's something offspring (there's 3) living in the house have had it (only one confirmed by rapid test but the same symptoms). I am a huge believer that this manufactured illness is running the course, getting weaker, and we as humans benefit from acquired immunity. There is less "fear of illness" here.

Draw a circle around the specific counties of Harris (Houston), Travis (Austin), and Dallas (Dallas). Stay outside these counties because freedom is restricted inside these counties. Make these circles red and shade them in as a no-go zone or freedom death zones. You'll know later when referencing your map to stay out of the shaded areas.

Quote:
Now I want to clarify this isn't about being red or blue. I have always disliked associating myself as either, I just want to be in community of like-minded individuals and free thinkers that value personal, God-given freedom/choice and don't stand for or idealize government involvement in your daily choices.
Well, kinda it is but we'll steer you toward more personal freedom if we can.

So that being said, these are the types of areas or locations we want to be in:

Quote:
1- within a 1-4 hours from Canton TX
Draw your 4 hour circle radiating from Canton as more desirable.

Quote:
2- within a couple hours or less from Houston international airport
We've already drawn this circle above but you can darken the IAH circle as more preferable.

Quote:
3- within a 2-3 hours from the coast
That line is drawn too.

Quote:
4- a town with tons of greenery, trees, parks, walk-able, outdoor stuff, outdoor festivals, farmers markets, music, stuff for kids, etc.. (a bike-able community would be a plus, but I know that isn't really found anywhere in TX, especially where we want to live)
This becomes a tough one here. There are smallish farmers markets everywhere in the state but almost none are all year (none that I know). Let me make a suggestion as no area can be pinpointed with this request, try to get near an HEB Plus grocery store as they do actively seek locally grown produce and use this during off-season when local markets have no vendors. HEB is a San Antonio based grocery chain and their larger Plus stores are very appealing.

Quote:
5- not a tiny town, but for sure not the center of Houston (population of 60k-150k would be ideal I think, but smaller could be fine too as long is not super far from a bigger metro area)
Again, as many have suggested, Conroe seems to be logical.

Quote:
7- house rental or buying is not crazy expensive
Good luck here. I think more pertinently you should investigate the property taxes on any of your prospective move-to sites. Taxes vary wildly. I'm in a tiny, teeny unincorporated town (well, I'm close to it and it serves as my physical address). I'm in a very rural county. And I'm on 50 acres with outbuilding and a 2200 sq.ft home structure. My taxes prior to my old age freezing and drop was <$1800/yr but is now dropped to <$800/yr. My cousin living in The Woodlands/ Spring area is paying >$12,000 a year. (3600 sq. ft., 1/2 acre suburban lot). Pick your poison.

These below are def great but not as important as

Quote:
8- friendly Latin American community would be cool
As mentioned above this is a non-starter. "Latin" American communities are everywhere. (None are "Latin" though but I get what your saying). Were mostly talking Central and South American native/Spanish heritage here. The US Census puts the Hispanic/Latino population at 38.4% in Texas. Although concentrated along the southern border up to San Antonio this population covers the state solidly.

Quote:
9- a funky/crunchy/yoga/natural health vibe would be cool, but if at least is a place that I can find local farmers markets as mentioned above, that is good
WTH? This is something you make on your own.

Quote:
10- Good fishing options nearby for the hubs (I think most of Texas has that tho right?)
Most of Texas? Once you get in the more arid parts of Texas you have to work at getting you fishing opportunities. Fishing (my forte') is probably concentrated along the coast with tons of opportunities and varied venues. Freshwater fishing has many more areas in East Texas because, well let's face it, it's wetter and has more water. Two huge lakes in deep East Texas and still numerous smaller ones. If you're boatless there are some limitations but still tons of streams and rivers. Be aware that access is limited as 97% of all land in Texas is privately owned. The state fisheries is very active at stocking both fresh and salt water.

Quote:
11- Good place to raise a family of course, plus if there is a multi-cultural Spanish/English type school there, or a montessori school.
I don't know how to address this. Probably the web. These schools will be found in almost every town with a population >10K and in some smaller. Looking at a quick glance there are at least 3 in the Conroe area, all with great ratings. Huntsville just north of Conroe also has a well regarded school.

Quote:
Work isn't as huge a factor as my husband is a painter/landscaper and can probably find a job most anywhere (if this isn't true lmk!). Although in Costa Rica he was a boat captain and so has that experience too (yet definitely not even being close to certified for any of that here). And when I work I am in the restaurant/hospitality industry and can probably find a job most places (places that have a decent farm-to-table food scene are a plus).

Here are some of the areas I've thought about (but again still don't know a ton about, just mainly for their size and location in relation to the first 3 points listed above): Waco, College Station, Conroe, The Woodlands, (but I think that is more expensive than we want and perhaps too close to Houston), Temple (but perhaps too close to Austin and too far from Canton and the coast)...
I think to operate any commercial boat there has to be a certification license. But as far as home improvements the Woodlands Spring area is ground zero ... lots of wealth. Same can be said about the hospitality industry in this area. It is restaurant Central. Be aware though that you DH will have lots of competition.

Quote:
I know this is a lot of detail and asking a lot, but every time I start to research these areas in Texas I just get so overwhelmed because, well.... Texas is HUGE and there are literally hundreds of towns we could move to that might fit some of the above "wants", but there really is no way to know unless folks around are familiar with them! Which I'm hoping some of you are!

Texas is not that huge to fit into your specifications. You've ruled out about 95% of it. I would like to reinforce that if you're goal is to be closer to aging parents even 1 hour is too far away. Think about 10 years down the road in the context of the aging process.

Now get on your map and see where or what areas fit your criteria.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:39 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Whew! That was too long. Someone needs to nad kick me next time I go into detail like this !

Old 01-03-2022, 08:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
Lake Jackson maybe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas